2015 4cyl Camry Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I measured the distance between the "Add" mark and the "Full" mark on the dipstick. The distance is 1 and 7/16 inches (my long, long time hobby is woodworking). When the oil in on the "Add" mark with the vehicle level the addition of one quart brings the level up 1 inch on the dipstick. Also, when the Toyota Dealership did the oil consumption test, they very carefully filled the engine to exactly the "Full" mark on the dipstick. After 1,400 miles, the oil had fallen to about 1/3 down the dipstick and the dealership carefully measured the amount of oil to bring it back to full and that took 1/2 quart by their measurements. This supports my 1 and 1/2 quarts assumption.

Since I'm under warranty so I have to use the oil Toyota requires. I'm not going to threaten the dealership, but after four new Camrys in a row, this will be my last if this oil usage doesn't slow down, or they don't fix it. They can spin any "normal" B.S. they want to, it will not satisfy me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: JTK
So when is an oil change done then? I haven't looked at the owner's manual (mom's car). They did put an "oil change due" sticker on the w/s with "5000mi" on it.

Every 10k an oil change is done with full synthetic. The dealer uses a maintenance sticker here every 5k. Yeah it's confusing and a bit misleading.

Here it is:

http://www.toyota.com/toyota-care/

Then click on item #10 and it says refer to the O.M. for the oil change schedule which is every 10k. It's almost like they want to give you the false impression you're getting free oil changes every 5k miles. When you really only get two free ones. My dad thought he was getting free oil changes every 5k until I discovered otherwise.

Thanks for that!

Kind of scary though.. I wonder if Toyota included a "low oil level" light like the newer Subaru's have, if they want you to go 10K miles between OCIs. I'm a 7500mi OCI guy when I can get away with it, but 10Kmi makes me nervous when it's mom's car.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Kind of scary though.. I wonder if Toyota included a "low oil level" light like the newer Subaru's have, if they want you to go 10K miles between OCIs. I'm a 7500mi OCI guy when I can get away with it, but 10Kmi makes me nervous when it's mom's car.

The previous generation Camrys had 5k oci's so it was kind of confusing to my dad and I. Since his first one was purchased in 1992. I think I looked at the 5k service invoice and noticed nothing was stated about oil. Just the inspections and rotation were noted. His 2012 Camry has 58k on it now and all is well as far as I can tell.

I think they have a low oil light but it doesn't go on till it's SUPER low on oil. If the oil light ever came on I would shut the engine off ASAP and check the level.

A coworker hit something on a highway off ramp recently in a 2014 Corolla where the oil light came on. She said it didn't show anything on the stick.

Last edited:
The 2.5 isn't a new engine, it's a carry over from previous generations. I'm sure most everybody know this, but where I'm going with this if it was a big issue wouldn't we have seen this earlier? Now, I checked the oil in our 2015 2.5 the other day at ~1350mi and it was to the full mark. Might be too early to tell, but ours will get an oil change at the dealer at 5K at my expense just for piece of mind.

I use the same oil in my Accord, and the engine burns around 200~300ml of oil per 10000mi OCI, so something is going on with your motor. Unless Toyota considers this normal.

Delta, the Toyota salesman described the engine as proven, an engine that had been around for years. The Toyota Service Manager said this was "a new version of the old 2.5 liter engine" and they didn't have much data on the new version. I have no idea what is new in the new version. I wish I could have asked a few questions about what had been changed while deciding whether or not to buy the vehicle.

What's Toyota consider "normal oil consumption?" One of the customer services reps working for the Toyota Service Manager told me that nothing would be done to my engine unless it used more than 1 quart in 1,200 miles, and that test is done with fresh oil.

Originally Posted By: WayneandAnna
What's Toyota consider "normal oil consumption?" One of the customer services reps working for the Toyota Service Manager told me that nothing would be done to my engine unless it used more than 1 quart in 1,200 miles, and that test is done with fresh oil.

1,200 miles/quart is about industry standard. Sad yeah.
These things run great on 0w-30 or 5w-30. Try that (synthetic please) a couple of times and see what happens.

Wow that is terrible! Guess I am lucky I have a 2005 model!

That is terrible. I wonder if it was them chasing after the 5W20, 0W20 CAFE bug???

If you are dead set on the 0W20 which is not required for warranty then try Redline 0W20 and see if that helps it at all. Redlines 0W20 is almost a 5W30. Do not confuse a single recommendation in North America as a requirement for warranty.

I would explore the warranty side of things and keep on the dealership. I would only explore alternatives if they decide to leave you high and dry with no help.If they do leave you high and dry I would try a synthetic 5W30 and see how that does. If that does not do it I would try a 0W40 then 5W40. If a 5W40 does not do it then I would forget about finding a fix via oil.

Ultimately if the rings, guides or valve stem seals are bad then nothing is going to be more than a band-aid. It might just be a poor fit between the design and the oil-recommendation.My 2005 has never had consumption issues and even with 150K miles on it it still uses no oil that is observable on the dipstick between OCI's.

If I had to guess it is likely the rings have too little friction or the oil control ring is working too well.

I'd drive it the full 10k miles Toyota says you can go without checking the oil. Pop the motor and get a new one under warranty.

Considering that .00001% of Toyota drivers check their oil this is going to be a common thing...

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I'd drive it the full 10k miles Toyota says you can go without checking the oil. Pop the motor and get a new one under warranty.

Considering that .00001% of Toyota drivers check their oil this is going to be a common thing...

I think it's too risky, OP can drive his Camry underfilled, and chances are the engine will still run, at the expense of more fuel cost. I thought keeping the engine oil topped off has always been the owner's responsibility.

Originally Posted By: WayneandAnna
Since I'm under warranty so I have to use the oil Toyota requires. I'm not going to threaten the dealership, but after four new Camrys in a row, this will be my last if this oil usage doesn't slow down, or they don't fix it. They can spin any "normal" B.S. they want to, it will not satisfy me.

Do that under warranty and have them keep refilling it once it gets low. Once warranty runs out switch to 5W20 or 5W30 or even 10W30 during summer. Use the high mileage oil like Valvoline MaxLife. 0W20 isn't working well in this "dated" 2.5L motor.

I won't even say it's Toyota that at fault here nor the OP. It's the CAFE standards imposed on OEMs by EPA. Fight back with thicker oil use once out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Fight back with thicker oil use once out of warranty.

Heck I'd do that immediately,drain what's in there are fill with 10W30.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Heck I'd do that immediately,drain what's in there are fill with 10W30.

Oh but that molasses thick 10W-30, it flows like wet concrete.
grin2.gif

Hold on Merk,

My daughter and DIL both have 2013 Matrix.
The GTMO on both was out before 700 miles.
West coast 1st winter, car #1 5W30, car #2
15W40 Duron E.

Nine months later at the 19,000km mark,
(12,000 miles), the 5W30 oil level was
at the bottom of the dipstick.
The 15W40 car was between the full and add lines.

Both cars were just over 40Km, 25K miles 6 weeks ago.

In went 15W40 Mobil 1300 in those 2 cars, my son's
2013 5.3 GMC, my 190cc John Deere lawn mower and a 2004
Pontiac Montana.
That took up the entire 20 liter pail that I bought on
sale for $55.00 ($44.00 US).

The best part is none of them need to check the oil
until oci time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back