2014 Volkswagen GTI 6 spd manual..your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
garlicbreadman, IMHO, you need to look to much broader owner surveys to get a better feel for the sorts of issues you may, or will likely, experience owning a late-model V-dub. Consumer Reports, for example, reflect the opinions of thousands of vehicle owners. Similarly, J.D. Powers dependability surveys reflect three years of ownership. http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/2014-Vehicle-Dependability-Study-Press-Release.htm

I gave this car another thought after i dismissed it so quickly. Did some research and found these cars have severe water pump failures...
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36700

The current generation GTI has been out for a few years now and they have yet to resolve the water pump issue!! These pumps are failing as soon as

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
I gave this car another thought after i dismissed it so quickly. Did some research and found these cars have severe water pump failures...
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36700

The current generation GTI has been out for a few years now and they have yet to resolve the water pump issue!! These pumps are failing as soon as div>

Yes, and you'll also find that a few people had timing chain tensioner failures that ruined engines. You're scaring yourself away via an extremely tiny sample size. If you really want to see how reliable the car is you're going to have to broaden your scope to the multiple web-sites you've been pointed to for broader statistics. Out of all the reported issues for this entire generation of GTI how many of them were water pumps?

Pick any car and you'll probably find a scary thread on an enthusiast forum talking about an issue a number of people had that was bad enough that it would end a road trip.

I've driven my car cross country quite a few times and will continue to do so without worry.

If you're spooked, you simply shouldn't buy the car. There's nothing worse than driving around thinking that a big repair bill is about to slap you in the face. But I'm not really sure you're giving this car a fair chance.

But you should know that compared to most vehicles on the road that have the water pump buried behind the timing chain/belt, replacing it on the TSI is a relatively simple procedure. It's not something that scares me, even though I'm well out of warranty.

LOL... you keep doing "research" like this, and you'll never buy any car.
lol.gif

I owned a '13 GTI for about 8 mos before I sold it for the ATS. It was a fun little car, and probably had the best shifter and clutch I have ever driven. If you want it, go for it. This is the car to own if you want to row your own gears.

Life is too short to buy a car because everyone claims it is the holy grail of reliability, when in realty it's totally average.

Mine had a VIN that started with W, so it was German built.

I was reading an article or two about how everyone is down, save perhaps Ram, due to the polar vortex. It's cold out, no one wants to shop apparently.

Might be a good time to hit up the dealers if you want to buy new.

Thanks, I glanced at the article, didn't read fully.

I like how the VW exec calls VW operations a disaster. That was a fun link.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I owned a '13 GTI for about 8 mos before I sold it for the ATS. It was a fun little car, and probably had the best shifter and clutch I have ever driven. If you want it, go for it. This is the car to own if you want to row your own gears.

Life is too short to buy a car because everyone claims it is the holy grail of reliability, when in realty it's totally average.

Mine had a VIN that started with W, so it was German built.

While the GTI did feel good, it is not anywhere near as enjoyable as my integra. The shifter throw was long and kind of dull and the clutch catches high and had no springy-ness to it. Anyways, aside from that, the car was pretty fun to drive. The way the shifter feels is just one aspect of the car that i can totally get use to.

When your water pump can fail every 7-15k miles, i would not consider reliability "average"
This is not a small sample size who had water pump issues either.

Last edited:
When your water pump can fail every 7-15k miles, i would not consider reliability "average"
This is not a small sample size who had water pump issues either.

I would highly recommend that you purchase a base model Corolla.

This is a *microscopic* sample size, how many tens of thousands of sixth generation GTIs have been sold since it was sent to market in 2009? How many hundreds of thousands of TSI powered Volkswagens have been sold since 2009? You've pointed out a thread that has 106 posts in it. In that thread there is a total of 45 reported water pump failures on 38 unique cars. In the same thread you have 34 people reporting "no issues." You have two people in this thread that own(ed) the same model of car reporting "no issues." So that's nearly 50:50 for cars with issues for cars without issues out of a total of 74 reported vehicles...... out of tens of thousands of cars sold.

What does TrueDelta say? How many have reported water pump issues via that site?

Every single issue reported in that thread was covered under warranty, and even if not under warranty actually replacing the pump in your garage might take an hour, two tops, because it's insanely easy to access for a water pump. You remove some intake piping and the throttle body and it's right there in front of you.

Buy a Corolla. Seriously.

^ and I don't say "buy a Corolla" to be mean or anything, but you do seem to place an extreme amount of weight on reliability. If you absolutely can not stand the thought of something possibly failing on a car, a Corolla may very well be your best bet. If you want something sportier, go back and check out the Civic Si again (great car).

A V-6 TSX with manual gearbox would be a pretty sweet ride as well. I'm sure its not without its issues, but I don't care to dig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back