2014 Volkswagen GTI 6 spd manual..your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mykl

I'm not sure what makes you think that regular factory specified maintenance won't keep the GTI healthy and happy. That's all mine has received, nothing more or less, and it's holding up just fine.

I'm not picking on this member in particular, just using him as an example. A lot of people make the "maintain your VW and it will be fine" argument.

The problem with that argument is that, in my experience, the biggest problems with VWs are electrical problems. Changing your oil and flushing your fluids won't prevent those.

I inherited a VW that came with my wife. Mechanically, it's been pretty good, but it has had tons of electrical problems that are very frustrating to track down and repair. It now has a permanent CEL that is common on some VWs.

And since I'm sure someone won't agree with me, you can always argue that my experience and others like mine aren't experienced by everyone. I'll simply say that if I buy a VW in the future, it will be for the good driving dynamics and not because I think it will be reliable.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I'm not picking on this member in particular, just using him as an example. A lot of people make the "maintain your VW and it will be fine" argument.

The problem with that argument is that, in my experience, the biggest problems with VWs are electrical problems. Changing your oil and flushing your fluids won't prevent those.

I inherited a VW that came with my wife. Mechanically, it's been pretty good, but it has had tons of electrical problems that are very frustrating to track down and repair. It now has a permanent CEL that is common on some VWs.

And since I'm sure someone won't agree with me, you can always argue that my experience and others like mine aren't experienced by everyone. I'll simply say that if I buy a VW in the future, it will be for the good driving dynamics and not because I think it will be reliable.

I can't change the experiences you've had with your own car, all I can do offer my own experience. My VW experience has been "gas and go" with the exception of the issue I had covered under warranty.

It is worth noting that your car is nearly 15 years old and came from a time when VW seemed to struggle with electrical issues. Out of all the nightmares I've come across regarding issues with the sixth generation Golf platform electrical issues don't seem to spring up with any sort of regularity. For obvious reasons I can't say that it never happens, but I can say that there's no real reason to believe that it would be more likely to happen to a new GTI than any other car.

I can only offer personal experience also. My 15-year old GTI has been bulletproof, with only normal maintenance. The only exception was the window regulators, a common problem with the MkIV and replaced by VW under warranty.

I wish I could say the same for my Subaru Outback, also purchased new. Yet Subaru consistently does well in owner satisfaction surveys.

I know nadda about Acura's but I sat in the back of one yesterday and it was quite nice. The rep said it was hard to find in a stick but he somehow managed. Seemed to go pretty good, seemed like a decent car.

My VW has had dumb electrical issues. At 200k the intake flap (which for all the world looks like a throttle plate) gave indication of not working. It did but a CEL for it gave me the impression that it was bad position sensor in it (I took it apart, cheapo pot in it). I was not happy at $500 for just the part--and was very unhappy when it died a year / 20k later. Knock on wood it still works though. I had a seat heater turn on once by itself, and one of the HVAC backlights was off for a few months before deciding to return. And it eats a set of Silverstars yearly. And the key fob has quit. And in the warm months it sets a CEL for EGR (which is actually truthful, given the state of it). And the starter makes noise now. Thermal fuse on the blower resistor opened up; the HVAC blower motor needs to be oiled once in a while. Had to replace the battery a couple years ago, but that's simple age.

Otherwise... it's been good. :lol:

Oh: it's got a bad cooling fan, not sure when that died, not sure if I'll replace it, as the secondary fan works fine. Can't remove the bottom screw so I gave up.

Thank you all for your valuable input. Didn't want to hear all the negatives about VW but it is what it is. Now i am surely confident to pass on VW..i'll reconsider them in the future if their quality control is better managed.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
Thank you all for your valuable input. Didn't want to hear all the negatives about VW but it is what it is. Now i am surely confident to pass on VW..i'll reconsider them in the future if their quality control is better managed.

I think you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice if you didn't seek negative opinions before purchasing something as expensive as a brand new car. I also think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by making a decision based only on a handful of first hand opinions (be they positive or negative). I think you should be using a site like TrueDelta to research any car you are interested in buying.

if your heart is set on it, buy it brand new. just before the warranty is out, sell it. problem solved, heartache over.

I think you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice if you didn't seek negative opinions before purchasing something as expensive as a brand new car. I also think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by making a decision based only on a handful of first hand opinions (be they positive or negative). I think you should be using a site like TrueDelta to research any car you are interested in buying.

You're right. For all i know the GTI could be the best car I will ever own with the least amount of issues or it could a nightmare to own. At this point i rather not take that chance and go with something more proven.

Also please consider the TSX I mention above. As long as you're shopping front wheel drive it's a very worthy substitute for the reasons I mentioned.
To be fair, you only tend to hear about the issues people have with cars. While statistically you're more likely to run into an issue with the VW there are still plenty out there that don't experience any issues.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Also please consider the TSX I mention above. As long as you're shopping front wheel drive it's a very worthy substitute for the reasons I mentioned.
To be fair, you only tend to hear about the issues people have with cars. While statistically you're more likely to run into an issue with the VW there are still plenty out there that don't experience any issues.

We have a 2006 tsx in the family

Now i am surely confident to pass on VW..

If the only thing you care about is reliability, then surely VW is not for you.

There are other reasons to buy a VW, but reliability is not necessarily one of them.

For me personally, I have no problem accepting some level of reliability issues if in exchange I get a car that puts a grin on my face every time I get behind the wheel. Alas, we all have different priorities and expectations...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

There are other reasons to buy a VW, but reliability is not necessarily one of them.

For me personally, I have no problem accepting some level of reliability issues if in exchange I get a car that puts a grin on my face every time I get behind the wheel. Alas, we all have different priorities and expectations...

I totally agree with this.

The OP shouldn't avoid the GTI if he likes it, just don't go in expecting it to be the most reliable vehicle in its class. Maybe you'll get one that's problem free.

But, don't buy it expecting some level of reliability it might not achieve.

I actually would buy a VW in the future because I like their driving dynamics, even after the middling experience with our VW. If I had to do it over again I would choose a VW over my Hyundai Sonata, which has been unreliable and has the driving dynamics of a wet noodle.

I agree that a VW is not the car to buy if reliability is the #1 concern. But if all it takes is two or three negative stories about a specific brand of car to deter you from buying one, there isn't as single car on the planet that is good enough.

But if all it takes is two or three negative stories about a specific brand of car to deter you from buying one, there isn't as single car on the planet that is good enough.

Agreed. And if you're unlucky, even if you buy a Honda, you can end up with a lemon.

I agree that a VW is not the car to buy if reliability is the #1 concern. But if all it takes is two or three negative stories about a specific brand of car to deter you from buying one, there isn't as single car on the planet that is good enough.

Truedelta dot com has relevant information about real world reliability. It has NOTHING to do with stories. And everything to do with real world feedback, from real owners. "Just the facts" , like the famous saying.

I'm 100% OK with VW vehicles, only "IF" a (greatly) extended warranty with full coverage is included. That eliminates the financial risk and the rental car costs.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Truedelta dot com has relevant information about real world reliability. It has NOTHING to do with stories. And everything to do with real world feedback, from real owners. "Just the facts" , like the famous saying.

I'm 100% OK with VW vehicles, only "IF" a (greatly) extended warranty with full coverage is included. That eliminates the financial risk and the rental car costs.

Let's pretend here for a minute that truedelta actually represents industry trends for reliability. Have you even looked at the 2012 - 2013 GTI data, or Rabbit data from prior years? If you did, you would find out it matches Acura, Honda and Mazda pretty closely.
The only one with fewer reported problem is Toyota, which shouldn't be a surprise since the Camry and Corolla are nothing buy antiquated appliances.

But I keep forgetting, this is VW and their sins will be remembered forever, just like GMs and Ford's, all the while Honda and Toyota are praised for their prior sucesses that are largely gone from today's lineup.
18.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet

Had the OP checked TrueDelta and based his statement off of that, he wouldn't have said what he did. Because according to TrueDelta the GTI is more reliable car than most.

But KrisZ pointed that out already, so I won't continue to poke that horse.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Well said

Garlicbreadman: As the owner of a newer V.W. and newer Toyota (and have owned many more of each)I would say go for it with no hesitation. I had a 1983 GTI that I bought new, and it was a very fun car to drive. My current V.W. Jetta TDi is a reliable vehicle and no problems what so ever, and feels like a rocket on rails when going around a corner and will put a smile on my face. As for needing 4 doors, most of us encounter that at some point in our lives (kids) and a German car that is fun to drive will work good for you. The stick shift in the V.W.'s are bullet proof to boot. Good luck with your decision, and send in pics of your ride if you get it. Best wishes to you partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back