Thinking about an Audi A3

Guy I worked with bought a new S3. Did several mods to it, and then the car disappeared several months later. Asked him what happened, and he said it ultimately wasn't comfortable as a daily driver. He replaced it with a BMW 3-series.

Reactions: Ws6
Only downside that I'm seeing with a '19 A3 is that I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have the paddle shifters that I liked so much on my GTI.
Paddle shifters were available on '19 A3. If the specific one you're looking at doesn't have them (may have been part of some sport package), you can swap out the steering wheel. Apparently it's a common mod:

My mom has an A3 Quattro sedan she bought new. It has the 2.0 and feels much faster than the advertised HP. However, the drivers seat doesn’t fit me in her car. Other small cars fit me fine. I’m 6’2” and my mom is 5’8”. The bottom seat cushion seems short and lacks thigh support.

Checked put a 2016. It felt cheap, was cramped, and overall, completely underwhelming.
Current A3 interior looks a bit dated/cheapish to me as well, at least compared to A4 and models higher up.

2022 A3 will have a redesigned interior which looks better to me on paper, alas, that's very subjective and doesn't help the OP if he's looking for used.

Arteon is nice, but it sounds like it may be too big for OP.

Mazda 3 Turbo AWD sounds interesting, if one is OK with the looks. Not the same prestige, obviously.

Reactions: Ws6
Essentially an A3 is a GTI (although you can also get the A3 with AWD) and the S3 is a Golf R. So for about the same price you can get a higher performing car if you don't need a sedan.
According to the most recent Consumer Reports, the A3 is a bit more reliable than the GTI. Overall the A3 is about average, the GTI overall is a bit worse than average.

Problem areas for the 2019 GTI (the most recent model year for which they have data) are: engine (major), engine (cooling), drive system, suspension, and noise/leaks. Overall they rate the 2015, 2017 and 2019 GTIs as much worse than average.

For what it's worth, the Audi A4 has a much better than average repair record with no areas below average for 2018 or 2019 (the most recent model years for which they have data).

For me a big factor would be a manual transmission, which you can get in a new GTI in Canada but not in an A3 or A4 - at least as far as I can tell without accepting Audi's cookies.

If it were me I would choose the Golf R. Since you are not me I suggest that you drive everything that other posters have mentioned. When test driving each one of them, look in the rearview mirror and whichever one puts the biggest smile on your face will tell you what you want to know.

Last edited:
Current A3 interior looks a bit dated/cheapish to me as well, at least compared to A4 and models higher up.

2022 A3 will have a redesigned interior which looks better to me on paper, alas, that's very subjective and doesn't help the OP if he's looking for used.

Arteon is nice, but it sounds like it may be too big for OP.

Mazda 3 Turbo AWD sounds interesting, if one is OK with the looks. Not the same prestige, obviously.
Not the same prestige, but it doesn't feel cheap. Sound system isn't as good though. The A3 just was so...meh. it reminded me of the G20 I once had. Sure, it had all the features for its era, and so forth, but it was just a Sentra in a suit. That's how the a3 feels.

Back to prestige, entry model anything is blah. It just says "I'm poor but want the badge", or "I really do truly like this vehicle. " in which case, prestige isn't what the buy was about.

I work with people who buy cla250s and c300s and then try to post a bunch of IG pix. Blech!

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.

The A3 I was considering was gone before I could get to see it.

I drove a two Jetta GLIs today. They're fun, but maybe I wasn't bowled over because they were so similar to the GTI that I had. I like them but no 'Wow' factor since it wasn't new to me. That may still be what I end up with. But no hurry now.

I tried to drive a Mazda3 with the 2.5 turbo and AWD, but they had none. And won't be getting one for two months.

I think next up might be a Kia K5 with it's 2.5T and 290 hp. and 311 torque. Not sure if any of those have arrived yet, but the Hyundai dealer had a Sonata N-Line with that 2.5T engine. but I was running out of time to deal with them. Maybe tomorrow.

enjoy your shopping + test drive as many as you can. i like VAG vehicles but prefer the older simpler ones. 200 thou on a 2001 wolfsburg jetta 1,8T traded on a 38 thou 2001 TT 225Q roadster a few years ago when i retired. as for performance VAG is well supported, with an eze power increases via an ecu tune about 80 hp + torque for $500, BUT warranty may be gone!! i am a shifty guy-6 spd manuals at present + like the golf sportwagens for a good value with AWD, + i note VAG cars use various types of AWD systems usually depending on engine placement, wrong=sideways or right front to back, but like many things you get what you get on model choices. i would look at various forums to do with ones preferred choice BUT in the end only YOU need be satisfied. i live about 70 miles above you above you + my FWD with a quaife torsen style diff + 4 snow tyres quite often passed other struggling awd + even 4wd vehicles likely on all season but winter tyres!! take your time + enjoy your shopping + dont forget the net as you can kind a LOT of choices only a short drive away + save $$$. girlfriend traded her used malibu on a new jetta years ago saving 2G on a new rather than leftover just driving to Allentown. dealers may not like it but they MUST service you no matter where you bought it!!!

Guy I worked with bought a new S3. Did several mods to it, and then the car disappeared several months later. Asked him what happened, and he said it ultimately wasn't comfortable as a daily driver. He replaced it with a BMW 3-series.
Ooh the Bavarian money waste. Def liked driving 530 back in 2014, the only problem was I only drove it to and from the mechanics. And that aftertaste of loosing 4K on a vehicle within few months is just unforgettable. Highly recommended

An Audi dealer in Fort Lauderdale still has some gray 2020 A3's selling for 28k. MSRP was 35k and they're new. Go on autotrader and plug some info in to find them.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.

The A3 I was considering was gone before I could get to see it.

I drove a two Jetta GLIs today. They're fun, but maybe I wasn't bowled over because they were so similar to the GTI that I had. I like them but no 'Wow' factor since it wasn't new to me. That may still be what I end up with. But no hurry now.

I tried to drive a Mazda3 with the 2.5 turbo and AWD, but they had none. And won't be getting one for two months.

I think next up might be a Kia K5 with it's 2.5T and 290 hp. and 311 torque. Not sure if any of those have arrived yet, but the Hyundai dealer had a Sonata N-Line with that 2.5T engine. but I was running out of time to deal with them. Maybe tomorrow.

The K5 is sharp and you can get AWD, a big bonus in my book. We've had several Kia's in the family, excellent experiences.

The K5 is sharp and you can get AWD, a big bonus in my book. We've had several Kia's in the family, excellent experiences.
If I'm remembering correctly, the K5 with AWD is with the smaller engine, not the 2.5T. Every review I've seen on the K5 or Sonata with the 2.5T said that it really needs AWD because the front wheels can't keep traction.

I called my local Kia place and asked if they had any K5s with the 2.5T yet. Was told no, and it might be a while because of lack of computer chips.

Alfa Romeo Giulia.
I want to sell my BMW. The Giulia Quadrifoglio is high on my list. Great specs and looks. I'll have to do more research on reliability which is likely a bit iffy. I drove an A3 rental a few years ago and was not impressed. I thought a GTI was a lot more fun to drive,

Back