Audi A3 Hatchback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: moribundman
The A3's interior quality is pathetic compared to my 12 year old A4's.

It's sad, but I too have a feeling that Audi has lost its edge when it comes to interior design. Even the new B8 platform interiors aren't as nicely put together as the old B5, even though they have more technical gadgets thrown in. Maybe I'm just getting sentimental... I'll take the R8 though. :)

Too bad to hear they cheaped out on the interiors. In my books, audi has the best interiors bar-none. When I bought my 330ci, I test drove the TT and I couldn't get past the gimmicky interior that just wasn't up to audi standards. If it had an A4 of the time interior, it might have been a contender.

Well, I have made it almost an entire week without making an impulse buy of a new A3. I think the new car bug is starting to wear off. Just to make sure Little Red (aka my '00 GTI) didn't get too peeved at me for having a wandering eye, I cleaned her up real nice today. I think I'm going to drive the GTI for a few more years, and enjoy having a car that I'm not making payments on.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Well, I have made it almost an entire week without making an impulse buy of a new A3. I think the new car bug is starting to wear off. Just to make sure Little Red (aka my '00 GTI) didn't get too peeved at me for having a wandering eye, I cleaned her up real nice today. I think I'm going to drive the GTI for a few more years, and enjoy having a car that I'm not making payments on.

Chip Little Red and have fun with it.

BTW, the new A3's are able to have Quattro with the 2.0T- very nice combo!

I think I'm going to drive the GTI for a few more years, and enjoy having a car that I'm not making payments on.

Which is exactly why I'm keeping my Passat and am not down at the dealer getting a new GTI. Jeez, that car looks like fun, though!

enjoy having a car that I'm not making payments on.

Yeah, that's why I'm not looking at new cars either... as long as the upkeep of the one I have doesn't cost too much, which right now it doesn't.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
...BTW, the new A3's are able to have Quattro with the 2.0T- very nice combo!

Stop it!!!

I keep hearing this glugging sound in the background... Who is it? Oh yes, sludge is here!
smirk2.gif

Good engine, Audi/VW no longer know how to make.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
I keep hearing this glugging sound in the background... Who is it? Oh yes, sludge is here!
smirk2.gif

Good engine, Audi/VW no longer know how to make.

Have there been any reported sludge issues with the 2.0T engine? Can you provide a link to some more info on the subject?

Per VW, causes of sludge in VW engines are:

- oil that does not meet the required specs
- short distance driving
- fuel dilution
- adding bio fuel like E5 or E10

VW makes a cleaner (VAS 6450) and a cleaning fluid with filter (VAS 6450-1) available through their dealerships.

Source: ASP (Auto Service Praxis) 12/1007

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
I was speaking in general.

So, "in general", how many VW engines have had sludging issues? The only one in the recent past that I'm aware of is the 1.8T, and even then, majority (if not all) of those issues were caused by using non-VW502.00 oil (read: incorrect oil).

Quote:

My dad's '00 Jetta requires a 502.00 oil, i.e. synthetic 5w40. Why in the world does a naturally-aspirated engine shear oil so badly?

Define "badly". Can you provide a link to a UOA that shows excessive shearing? How long was the OCI and driving conditions?

Please don't take it as a personal attack. I am just intrigued by these generalizations and would like to learn more.

Isn't it ONLY the longitudually(sp) mounted 1.8T engine in the Passat sedan that had sludging issue? All the others were fine....?

I've seen a badly sludged-up Passat 1.8T come into the WM I used to work at for an oil change w/YB 5W-30....man, it was bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back