Volkwagens. How Bad, or Good are they?

I’m just over a year and 12k miles in on my first VW (2021.5 Atlas 2.0T) There have been a few infotainment gremlins that required a reset (and some noisy front brakes the dealer replaced gratis).

Otherwise it’s done exactly what I expected. I did an oil change at around 4K miles just to get my hands in it, and the dealer handled the 10k service.

The aftermarket and online support is very good. YouTube and forum illustrated “how to’s” are out there for almost all of the common issues and repairs. Service seems simple and even intake-off repairs look pretty straightforward.

It’s probably the least “German” of all the VW’s but it’s big, comfy, soft, and has the right amount of power for a family hauler. I like it. I’d buy another VW if the need arose. Our other vehicle is a 2nd Gen Toyota Tacoma.

If it is the least "German" of all the VWs, maybe it has a shot here.

I'd buy a CC myself, preferably an R-line but whatever.. Or a Corrado. G60 or VR6..

I've noticed since the advent of the internet parts stores VW parts are no more expensive than any other parts I've needed.
Daughter took the Atlas Cross Sport to Chicago for a friend's wedding and somewhere on the 6 lane cluster of highway someone in the far right lane hit a 4x4 post about 3 feet long laying in the road and sent it two lanes over into the right front corner of the Atlas. Her boyfriend who is the strength and conditioning coach for the University football team thought they had hit a cow from the sound of it and thought for sure the trip would be delayed. The parking sensor was knocked out and gave a dashboard warning ⚠️ as to the parking system being inoperable so they immediately pulled over and was surprised to see little damage other than the sensor missing.
When it got home I had the front bumper off, sensor plastic glued back in to place, and back on in less than a half an hour. Only other damage was the wheel well trim piece had a couple plastic clips busted from the flex so it sticks out just a tad from where it should be. Need to buff the white paint off of the paint and replace the trim piece, around $50 and it will be good as new. Btw the only tool need to remove the bumper and grill was a T25 to remove about 20 screws.

Before and after gluing sensor back. Trim is on the way.
20220610_183326.jpg
20220610_182115.jpg

Back