A 40 thousand dollar Golf??

Originally Posted by dareo

Wow, utah dealers are terrible on price. I shipped my GSW from california and still paid less, back in late 2015 at least. Same dealer was shipping a Golf R out for 5,000 over sticker because that was cheap at the time. No utah dealer would go anywhere near our Tourx purchase either.

If they ever offer a Sportwagen R i will be in some serious debt as i would be powerless to resist buying.

Strong VW is actually willing to deal if you're out of their area. I would have had to finance it, though (through VW, at some ridiculous rate, and I had to keep the loan for 6 months). Total interest wasn't that much if I paid it off in 6 mos, but just on principle it annoyed me. Cash=no discount...

I originally thought the R wagon was my dream car. I have R seats in my Alltrack, and was going to put a bigger hair dryer in there (IS20) and up the power. What I learned from the GTI, though, was that 1) I actually liked driving the slightly smaller car better, and 2) for my own needs, the space of the GTI/R works fine. Part of this is that I started carrying bikes outside vs inside, even on the Alltrack.

I did put the IS20 on my GSW (fwd 5mt) so it has similar power to weight ratio as a stock golf R but the problem is, it is very hard to put that power down. Upgrading to an R model would be ideal but resale on a non awd GSW isnt great. Somewhere between signing the title and leaving the keys in it and a figure i'd still be dissatisfied with. Maybe the golf 8 R will be motivating enough to take the plunge.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by edyvw
I am looking at used R MK7, among other few cars with stick I am considering to get next year. But geez do they hold their value.
I did not research this, but does R has vectoring diff. in front same like GTI and Alltrek?

The mk7 Golf R has 60/40 weight distribution and a transverse mounted engine. It has a reactive AWD which primarily drives the front wheels and can only send 50% of the torque to the rear wheels.

Why would you of all people want one, eh? Rofl!!!

Because VW knows how to make cars like that. Everyone else is just copying it since original Golf GTI.

Well, the 235 is a pretty obvious competitor, and I liked it a lot. It's all in how you use the car though, and about 95% of the time of driving, there is a dog in the back. The hatch just wins here. I drove a M135 in Taiwan and loved it. Had it been available in the US, it would have been a close call.

That is the thing for me too. I was looking last night and found beautiful 2011 BMW 128i with sport package. I would go get it today if I did not have to put two child seats in the back. When I get myself fun car, I am locking up my Sienna POS unless I have 7 people to transport or road trip.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I notice all the GTIs I looked at recently online were built in Mexico.

Does America still get the German built GTI ?

Nope, we get the ones made in Mexico. My '17 was, at least. Build quality was fine though. I had no complaints at all with it.

I do not think so. Engine is also different (Euro has port and DI).

Originally Posted by Ws6
I am looking at used R MK7, among other few cars with stick I am considering to get next year. But geez do they hold their value.
I did not research this, but does R has vectoring diff. in front same like GTI and Alltrek?

The mk7 Golf R has 60/40 weight distribution and a transverse mounted engine. It has a reactive AWD which primarily drives the front wheels and can only send 50% of the torque to the rear wheels.

Because VW knows how to make cars like that. Everyone else is just copying it since original Golf GTI.

They ride super harsh even if they do handle well though.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

They ride super harsh even if they do handle well though.

They ride better than competition.

Last edited:

All MK7 GTI's in North America are made in Mexico. The Golf R's are Hecho en Germany. I don't think it has anything to do with quality, but quantity--the volume is probably so low it's not worth setting up the line to do them in Mexico.

Having had 2 MK7 Mexico cars and the R, I don't think there's much between them. Some sub-suppliers are different though, and the windshield in the R is much higher quality. Besides that, not much difference.

Supposedly, MK8 Golf production is moving to Germany, due to some pressure from the German labor union, but not entirely sure that's happening.

Welcome to the german automobile club, I am the head chair man person.

Sadly 40K for a new car is not really expensive at all, as KBB calculated the average price of a new car in the US in January of 2021 was $40,857. So I say enjoy that cheap Golf!

Back