2014 Mazda 6 First Drive Review Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump for update:
(hope for SkyActive diesel in the US? )

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2012/...os-angeles.html

IRVINE, Calif., Nov. 26, 2012p; Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today confirmed the announcement of several North American vehicle debuts at the upcoming Los Angeles Auto Show. The all-new 2014 Mazda6 mid-size sedan, updated 2014 CX-5 compact SUV and face-lifted 2013 CX-9 mid-size SUV will make their first continental appearances. All vehicles are scheduled to be on sale this winter. A global debut from Mazda Motorsports as well as official timing and vehicle application for the U.S.-destined SKYACTIV-D 2.2-liter clean diesel engine also will share the stage.

LA auto show starts Friday I think: That's when Mazda debuts the new Mazda 6.

Link to LA auto show site:
http://www.laautoshow.com/

Last edited:
Bump for updates...

Mazda 6 will be available Jan 2nd.
Diesels will come in Sept or so...
Display car coming to dealerships next week or so...

Sweet ! Now for someone to buy it , then 5 years down the road , ill buy it from them for half price or less :-D . Honestly though, Mazda is the first manufacturer where I will start looking when we think about replacing the Acura.

This is the first new Mazda that has peaked my interest in quite sometime. The Skyactiv-D will definitely be on the drive list next car shopping trip.

Although it will have to be stellar to beat a TDi.

doesn't the TDI have some problems with the HPFP?

We will test drive 2 cars in the coming weeks for wife:

1. Passat TDI
(although now it's per formality's sake - I've pretty much grown weary about the TDI issues that I got to see/hear on the web, and this will also go over 30k price as soon as you add some stuff to it...)

2. The new Mazda 6 (SkyActive-G 2.5L)...
(still not real data on trims/prices/EPA figures but they're SUPPOSED to be in high 30's for hwy and around 35 combined..)

All depends on what wifey will actually like, though...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
doesn't the TDI have some problems with the HPFP?

I consider most of it Internet hysteria, although there have been some failures, compared to the number of TDi's it is a fairly small number. Problems with the Bosch HPFP's were not exclusive to the TDi's either BMW and possibly others had some issues too. The pumps HAVE been redesigned to make them more tolerant of fuel quality. It didn't stop me from buying the TDi and it won't stop me from buying another. I'd suggest you would be doing yourself a disservice by avoiding a TDi, but to each his own. Also remember the Passat uses AdBlue, the Jetta, Sportwagen and Golf do not. Drive a gas Passat too if the TDi scares you.

I don't want to derail the tread though...

Let us know how your test drive goes, I like the styling on this new Mazda and I'm not normally into "swoopy".

We do like the looks too...it IS more swoopy than straight lines BUT it still manages to look clean and un-cluttered somehow...not like the Sonata which looks ghastly IMO, although the rears are similar. I think what's wrong with the Sonata is that there's an ungainly very prominent character line going ALL THE WAY along the side (a bit MB-isque), which is horrible to my eyes. In the Mazda it looks like they broke that character line up right after the front and back fender/wheel arches, so the middle of the side of the car (the door areas) look very clean and uncluttered....It doesn't look like a bloated alligator like the Sonata...and doesn't suffer (or suffers a lot less) from the 'tiny side windows' look which we hate, and hinders visibility.

PASSAT:
I appreciate the input- makes me re-think..
We will take a clos(er) look at the Passat, definitely - we haven't written it off completely, but i have not heard very positive things about their CS / dealerships...but we'll see..
I am not sure if the gas Passats meet my wife's criteria of 35 mpg or more combined hwy/city. (will check specs)

Recently a female friend test drove the gas Passat and said the interior felt 'cheap' compared to Accords, etc. IDK if that's true or not - will pay attention to that, too. One has to see him/herself when it comes to things like that. we both do like the way it looks...but I haven't been in one.

Perhaps we can test drive it this week as we have a day off together, and form an opinion, the Mazda 6 won't be avail. to test drive till Jan 2nd the latest. (but a display car will arrive in a few days, local dealer said)

Last edited:
Yep- The Sonata rear looks a lot better than the face or the side.
So I guess it's a good thing that when people compare the new Mazda 6 to the Sonata looks, it's mostly (and almost only) to do with the Sonata's rear
smile.gif

You are right the gas Passat won't do 35 combined, I missed that requirement. I guess I would be a little surprised if the gas 6 will do that. A friend has a Skyactiv 3 for a long term rental and says it is only doing low 30's. Not sure how diligent he is about tracking it though, he said he hates the transmission.

The VW 2.5 gas engine is going away the 1.8t is replacing it in the Golf and Jetta, I assume that is also the case with the Passat and Beetle, not sure when though.

I found a test drive video of the Skyactiv-D on you tube although the commentary was in (I think) Spanish the car looks nice in white and the engine sounded nice under acceleration and very quiet when cruising.

The only thing that makes me hopeful about the projected/predicted high MPG of the 2.5 SkyActive G are the facts that
the car is overall about 300 lbs lighter than the current Mazda 6,
the i-e-loop or whatever might add a few MPG,
and that this 2.5 SA engine has been already tested in europe, and the MPGs were in mid-high 30's

BUT only EPA figures / official numbers will confirm when they come out on the 2nd of Jan...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
You are right the gas Passat won't do 35 combined, I missed that requirement. I guess I would be a little surprised if the gas 6 will do that. A friend has a Skyactiv 3 for a long term rental and says it is only doing low 30's. Not sure how diligent he is about tracking it though, he said he hates the transmission.

Thats funny because this is one of my most favourite auto trans I have ever driven. And I have test driven a few between work/car shopping. Mind asking him what he didnt like about it?

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
We do like the looks too...it IS more swoopy than straight lines BUT it still manages to look clean and un-cluttered somehow...not like the Sonata which looks ghastly IMO, although the rears are similar. I think what's wrong with the Sonata is that there's an ungainly very prominent character line going ALL THE WAY along the side (a bit MB-isque), which is horrible to my eyes. In the Mazda it looks like they broke that character line up right after the front and back fender/wheel arches, so the middle of the side of the car (the door areas) look very clean and uncluttered....It doesn't look like a bloated alligator like the Sonata...and doesn't suffer (or suffers a lot less) from the 'tiny side windows' look which we hate, and hinders visibility.

PASSAT:
I appreciate the input- makes me re-think..
We will take a clos(er) look at the Passat, definitely - we haven't written it off completely, but i have not heard very positive things about their CS / dealerships...but we'll see..
I am not sure if the gas Passats meet my wife's criteria of 35 mpg or more combined hwy/city. (will check specs)

Recently a female friend test drove the gas Passat and said the interior felt 'cheap' compared to Accords, etc. IDK if that's true or not - will pay attention to that, too. One has to see him/herself when it comes to things like that. we both do like the way it looks...but I haven't been in one.

Perhaps we can test drive it this week as we have a day off together, and form an opinion, the Mazda 6 won't be avail. to test drive till Jan 2nd the latest. (but a display car will arrive in a few days, local dealer said)

Give the Passat's interior 3 years ... or go to a used car dealer that leaves the cars unlocked. The VW interiors fall apart! The rubber coating on the door handles peels off, trim panels fall off ... the interiors don't hold up for a "premium" car.

Originally Posted By: bourne
...A friend has a Skyactiv 3 for a long term rental and says it is only doing low 30's. Not sure how diligent he is about tracking it though, he said he hates the transmission.

Thats funny because this is one of my most favourite auto trans I have ever driven. And I have test driven a few between work/car shopping. Mind asking him what he didnt like about it?

He does not like the rev matching and says that sometimes it is trying to rev when he's trying to stop. I have not personally driven it or ridden in it though. FWIW

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Give the Passat's interior 3 years ... or go to a used car dealer that leaves the cars unlocked. The VW interiors fall apart! The rubber coating on the door handles peels off, trim panels fall off ... the interiors don't hold up for a "premium" car.

That is funny because I have owned a number of them and I have never had the interior fall apart.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

That is funny because I have owned a number of them and I have never had the interior fall apart.

My 2000 jetta VR6 interior is just as he described, the rubber came off, and it well it fell apart.

UPDATE:
SPECS now available on US website: (No EPA MPG or prices yet
frown.gif
)
http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/musa2/pdf/other/specs_2014_MZ6.pdf

3 trims: Sport, Touring, Grand Touring

Good news:
lots of standard equip. (back up cameras, BSM, blue tooth, etc even if you don't need that stuff..) even on BASE trim (sport)
Middle (touring) plus tech package gives you a LOT, I think

Bad news:
i-e-loop to come LATER, avail only on GT trim
frown.gif

19 INCH WHEELS STANDARD ON BOTH Touring and G-touring
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back