2014 Mazda 6 First Drive Review Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree - I also think diesels will sell here if advertised properly and if people are 'educated' about them.
US is not very forward-thinking when it comes to automobile technologies, and diesels. decades and decades of thinking diesels are 'bad' has done a lot of damage, and even when car makers know that there might be a chance for diesels to sell well here, they know it's gonna take a lot coaxing and trying and advertising to change a mindset that has prevailed for a very long time, so of course they probably concentrate on what's ALREADY selling well/best, without any big effort ...

But someone has to start doing it, and VW and BMW do it a little bit, but an offering and an effort from a Japanese maker to sell diesels in the midsize sedan segment will help open more eyes, as that segment has the largest number of buyers..

Looks decent. Lots of buttons. I don't expect a diesel version to make it here.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I agree - I also think diesels will sell here if advertised properly and if people are 'educated' about them.
US is not very forward-thinking when it comes to automobile technologies, and diesels. decades and decades of thinking diesels are 'bad' has done a lot of damage, and even when car makers know that there might be a chance for diesels to sell well here, they know it's gonna take a lot coaxing and trying and advertising to change a mindset that has prevailed for a very long time, so of course they probably concentrate on what's ALREADY selling well/best, without any big effort ...

But someone has to start doing it, and VW and BMW do it a little bit, but an offering and an effort from a Japanese maker to sell diesels in the midsize sedan segment will help open more eyes, as that segment has the largest number of buyers..

Thats the sad part. Every Japanese and Korean car maker offers at least 1 diesel engine in their line up in Europe. Cars like Civic and Mazda 3 sell more with Diesel engines than Gasoline engines. They have the technology, unfortunately various emission norms and our generally poor public opinion of diesel engines keep them at bay.

In pictures I have noticed that many new 2013-14 vehicles don't really look too much different than the models that they're replacing.

Accord
Altima
Camry
Malibu
Mazda6

But, I did see the other day, a "NEW" Altima and Yeah, it's much different in person. The Malibu! I couldn't even really tell til I looked at the trunklid. I can't wait to see the others in person.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Just read the Motor Trend write up. Looks good and drives good. The only negative is that it's not built in the US.

Hmmm! I'm kinda surprised that the Mazda6 isn't built in Flint, Mich. as were the old 626's

Kajiyama said his team benchmarked the BMW 3 Series, Audi A4 and Volkswagen Passat. He said they also studied the Camry, Altima and Fusion, but that he wouldn't let his engineers drive them to and from work. Why not? "I told them 'Your senses get dull.'"

Great quote

^^^ That's great! One more reason to love Mazda more than the "ho-hum three"
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Just read the Motor Trend write up. Looks good and drives good. The only negative is that it's not built in the US.

Hmmm! I'm kinda surprised that the Mazda6 isn't built in Flint, Mich. as were the old 626's

The Mazda 6 isn't being built in that plant because Mazda and Ford have broken off their agreement to build vehicles together, so Mazda no longer has or wants its vehicles built there.

Plus, historically, the quality control of cars built in their Japanese plants was higher than those built in the Flint plant.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

Plus, historically, the quality control of cars built in their Japanese plants was higher than those built in the Flint plant.

Hmmmm....could it be the use of the Ford CD4E in the 626/MX-6? (Certain Destruction 4 Everyone)

Or, you know... certain parts that fail prematurely with a specific marking on them?

fordfailurefun.jpg

I'm having a little fun at my own Flat Rock, MI built Mazda's expense. Funny coincidence that all the failed parts are stamped FoMoCo/Ford and have a Ford engineering number. But it's no coincidence that the consistently high failure rate of the 626's CD4E transmission destroyed public confidence in the brand

It's a Ford transmission.

The forward drum and reverse drum were badly designed. It also had line pressure problems. The electrical components aren't very good either. Lot's of flashing "HOLD" lights on 626es. If you are lucky it's just the TPS or a VSS. Then you get into solenoid packs etc...

Fortunately, Ford limited it to the 626/MX6/Probe, Contour/Cougar/Mystique, Escape/Tribute/Mariner.

Ford got the M5OD for the Ranger and F-150 from Mazda. Mazda got the CD4E

Mazda was originally a partner with Nissan in JATCO.

That's why you stick to manuals - I got 343k out of my '93 Mazda MX6 on the original clutch.

They need to hurry up and get some diesels over here though. Decent performance and hybrid economy plus Mazda chassis...

Keeping this thread alive...Still no dates for US release...
This car has become a SERIOUS contender for my wife's next car....

her needs:
She wants something that gets high-30's MPG - combined, but costs less than 30k, and be in the mid-class segement
(coming from an econobox that doesn't even have cruise control, I think she deserves to step up a bit in the DD segment).
..and NO hatchbacks
frown.gif
IDK why, but hey, it will be her car, so....

I added my own requirement: has to be something that you don't see every 5 seconds on the road, and nothing from the big 3 japanses makers.

That left the Passat TDI (I know, might slightly go over her budget) and This new Mazda 6 ....
I am still weary about buying a diesel - fear of the unknown, I guess, and have been scared about the HPFP issues on the TDI)

The new 6 really has what she's looking for: the MPG (with the skyactive 2.5L Gas), price, NON-gimmicky interior/dash, and as a bonus: good exterior looks...

Now Mazdausa.com has a link for the official unveiling of the new 6 at the LA auto show on Now 29th.
So I guess, the January on-sale date may not be wrong after all...

Interestingly they also have an info-link for the SkyActive - D (!!!) diesel engine/technology...is it a sign that it might come to the US?

thank you for keeping this thread alive. We just purchased a 2012 Mazda 3 and have nothing but good things to say about this car. The skyactiv tech provides an excellent package with enough power for the sub 3000 lb sedan to move and is a smooth operator during everyday operation. Nearly 30 mpg all city driving isnt too shabby either. And this is one situation where I wholeheartedly recommend you get the 6 speed auto. It is hands down, the best auto trans I have driven. Instant smooth rev matched downshifts , will gladly drop from 6 to 3rd if you give it the boot and is CVT smooth in everyday operation.

I was looking at some Mazda 3 literature online today and noticed that Edmunds had a 3 Diesel listed when you went to choose a trim. I thought that was interesting.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

The Mazda 6 isn't being built in that plant because Mazda and Ford have broken off their agreement to build vehicles together, so Mazda no longer has or wants its vehicles built there.

BC.

The shared plant was in Flat Rock MI not Flint MI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back