Road And Track
Inside Line
Car And Driver
Automobile Magazine
Motor Trend

DISCUSS !
grin.gif

Last edited:
where the Honda seems to float on the road, the Mazda feels more intimately involved with the tarmac.

That's what I was hoping to see.

I hate that "smile" front end. Hope they put the new style on the "3" as well. Its already on the CX-5 and the new "6" and I really like its aggressive looks.

"...Available in both standard (148 hp at 4500 rpm/280 lb-ft at 2000 rpm) and “High Power” versions (173 hp at 4500 rpm/310 lb-ft at 2000 rpm..."

Dang - how do these engines make so much more torque than HP?
That's the biggest gap betw HP and torque I've seen...

And all that torque at 2000 RPM !!!!! - Talk about torque available at everyday-DD-range RPMs and not at red-line like so many others (Toy's / Hondas) do

Hmmmm..:

"... If you desire even a modicum of driving enjoyment from your midsize sedan, this transmission alone is a major reason to buy the Mazda6 over a new Honda Accord or Nissan Altima and their soggy CVTs, or the new Ford Fusion or Chevy Malibu and their stubbornly unresponsive autos...."

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
"...Available in both standard (148 hp at 4500 rpm/280 lb-ft at 2000 rpm) and “High Power” versions (173 hp at 4500 rpm/310 lb-ft at 2000 rpm..."

Dang - how do these engines make so much more torque than HP?
That's the biggest gap betw HP and torque I've seen...

And all that torque at 2000 RPM !!!!! - Talk about torque available at everyday-DD-range RPMs and not at red-line like so many others (Toy's / Hondas) do

These two that you listed are turbo-diesel engines, so such high torque figures at low rpms are normal, IMO. But I'm not sure if Mazda will offer these two in the US.

some of the reviews said Mazda stated that they will offer the diesels, BUT didn't specify in which cars...
offering it/them in the mid-class segment is a no brainer, IMO.
The high-power diesel really sounds sweet..

Agreed.

BTW, BMW 3-series used to be offered with a 265 HP / 425 lb-ft @ 1,750 rpm diesel engine before, alas, it's no longer available in the US.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Agreed.

BTW, BMW 3-series used to be offered with a 265 HP / 425 lb-ft @ 1,750 rpm diesel engine before, alas, it's no longer available in the US.

They did away with the 335d? DOH!!!!

Wait a 2014 ... It's only 2012.

Mazda has really been building vehicles for drivers lately. I think that's great ... I can't wait until they get used and down into my price range ... I'd buy one in an instant.

The only thing I am iffy about is the i-ELOOP system. I hope its an option instead of a compulsion. Other than that, the 4 banger looks great on paper. I will probably NEVER own a diesel, but thats because I like the high revving nature of Gasoline engines ( at least the good ones ).

Originally Posted By: C&D
The gas-powered 6 won’t make its way to our shores until January 2013, while the diesel has yet to be confirmed for our market. Mazda wouldn’t outright deny the possibility of bringing over the diesel, however, and we fully expect it to be offered here in both the 6 and the CX-5.

I don't know, that doesn't sound very promising for the diesel.

Hmm...Guess we can always hope for the diesel to come to the US. Mazda doesn't always follow the path most other Japanese car makers follow, I think.

I will be watching this car as it gets launched in the US...Going to be a much talked about one for sure..I really like the way it looks: modern but still classic, no unnecessary gimmicky character lines or weird headlights or grills.

The interior will be criticized by people who like glitzy, funky, flashy, futuristic cockpits/dashes. It looks very sedate, but practical and rather European-looking, IMO - very nice, and like a breath of fresh air when looking at overly busy ugly cockpits we have today... I prefer single-color dashboards.

I think Mazda knows very well that those criticisms will come, but they still went ahead and designed the car in the Mazda spirit that was always a bit different from the snooze-fests Toy and Hon make, only thinking about sales numbers and not offering something exciting.

Last edited:
It's hard to look at those reviews and realize that a diesel wagon with a manual transmission will be made...and have absolutely zero change of making it over here.

I see a ton of Jetta TDI wagons around here, so it's not like people won't buy them. Lack of wagon sales seems to be more of a self-fulfilling prophecy than anything; import 300 of them and do zero advertising, meanwhile pushing small SUV's=don't sell any wagons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back