Apparently Mazda is collecting data on connected cars…

From what I understand there are third party companies that contract with the automakers to receive and disseminate the data. Tom Tom is known for their maps and GPS but they are big on what is called telematics. There are a number of companies that do this. Visteon is another one.

Last edited:
This is insane, if you don't want sport mode used, don't friggin' include it. If you provide a specific drive mode, you have absolutely zero say in how frequently that drive mode is used, to assume otherwise, because you've manufactured junk that can't hold up to that usage profile, is laughable. Hopefully this goes to court.

BMW hosts track days (as does/did SRT, and GM). Clearly, some manufacturers actively embrace using drive modes as intended, while others are in the poseur camp.
They’re counting on any one or few people that have issues not having the resources to.

And any class action takes much time and massive costs, a major fraction, 50% even, going to the thieving lawyers.

The legal system is broken for the regular person to do it. Lawyers’ excesses are to blame imo.

Geez, my Opel with a cast iron 3 main pushrod motor is at 3000 rpm in high gear at 45 mph. It happily cruises on the freeway at 4 to 5k rpm. 4.11 gears and 13" tires. Something is off with the response from Mazda here.

There must be some way to disconnect this kind of thing although I suspect it would void your warranty...
Buy used past warranty and then disconnect it. I would think that with a Factory Service manual or an internet search that this should be easy enough to do. I would think that a lot of the older ones are already not working due to the demise of 2G and 3G cell service. I'm thinking that I would be looking for something with a built in cellphone antenna to disconnect, or shield the antenna. Just a guess as I drive a 1999 car.

I think at one time Subaru was giving new WRX purchasers a one year membership in the SCCA- then canceling their warranty if they took the car to an autocross. Mitsubishi voided EVO warranties if the rev-limiter was hit too often- even if there was no over rev.
My BMW and Mazda dealers knew that I was a HPDE instructor and I never had a warranty issue. In fact, one time my BMW service advisor did a pull ahead on a complementary oil service so, as he put it, “You’ll have a sump full of fresh oil before hitting the track.”

How the heck does this work, and I mean is their some kind of declaration before purchase to customers that states they are forbidden to to use sport mode?

It seems by denying their warranty, they could set themselves up for a class action. Is their more to this story?

How the heck does this work, and I mean is their some kind of declaration before purchase to customers that states they are forbidden to to use sport mode?

It seems by denying their warranty, they could set themselves up for a class action. Is their more to this story?

I would be willing to bet that there’s more to the story,…a lot more. I don’t think Mazda has installed a self destruct button labeled “sport” in their vehicles. 😂

BMW and some other manufacturers are going to actually advise you how to track your car.

Remember that when Mazda or some similar company says: our engines are better than BMW etc.

Has Mazda actually said that their engines are better? Has any other manufacturer claimed that? 🤔

Has Mazda actually said that their engines are better? Has any other manufacturer claimed that? 🤔
They all have their marketing to claim that they are the best! And then people: but Mazda SkyActive is…

Any manufacturer that does this, is doing it for two reasons:
1. They are trying to find a way out.
2. They don’t believe their product can handle that.

If Mazda’s argument is that their engine is not possible to warrant bcs. it was driven too much in sport mode, their product is worth as much as trash bin I use. Not two trash bins (one is recycle), but one.

They all have their marketing to claim that they are the best! And then people: but Mazda SkyActive is…

Any manufacturer that does this, is doing it for two reasons:
1. They are trying to find a way out.
2. They don’t believe their product can handle that.

If Mazda’s argument is that their engine is not possible to warrant bcs. it was driven too much in sport mode, their product is worth as much as trash bin I use. Not two trash bins (one is recycle), but one.

I for one will take what this Reddit poster is saying with a grain of salt. This is one side of a story that he is “possibly” omitting a lot of facts from. If I were to listen to one sided stories, I would have written BMW (along with every other manufacturer on the planet) off as garbage a long time ago, but I know better than that.
I can’t believe that this guy destroyed his engine by using sport mode and I honestly think that there has to be more to the story.
Now if the story were to be 100% true, then I would agree with you completely. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing if this story is factually true at this point in the thread.

The legal system is broken for the regular person to do it. Lawyers’ excesses are to blame imo.
Lawyers get paid what the clients are willing to pay. All clients sign a contract up front with the attorney fees spelled out very plainly.

Attorneys only take cases they think they will win. Why waste time chasing a losing case UNLESS you charge a lot and will get paid?

In all court cases, half of the clients lose. Lot's of "bad" press by the losers (Win - tell four; Lose - tell Eleven); It's marketing.

At least there is a chance to sue and try to recover what the Plaintiff alleges is the "defect" in the law, contract, or product. In some areas of the world, no such system to even attempt to recover losses (perceived or real).

Bottom Line: Read every contract BEFORE you sign on the dotted line. If you don't read it all (and I do mean read it), then complaining when a clause is exercised by the contract holder is just whining IMO.

I know this because it happened to me once, and I carefully read what I sign now. Things I don't agree with, I cross out and initial. If my edits are not accepted (in about 40% of cases they are not), I walk.

In time, Uncle and other LE scum will be able to find you in your car with pinpoint accuracy. You know, Big Brother.

I for one will take what this Reddit poster is saying with a grain of salt. This is one side of a story that he is “possibly” omitting a lot of facts from. If I were to listen to one sided stories, I would have written BMW (along with every other manufacturer on the planet) off as garbage a long time ago, but I know better than that.
I can’t believe that this guy destroyed his engine by using sport mode and I honestly think that there has to be more to the story.
Now if the story were to be 100% true, then I would agree with you completely. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing if this story is factually true at this point in the thread.
However, this is not the first time where companies deny warranty for similar reasons. Remember Subaru and SCCA? It was mentioned before.

I don't know all the specifics of all Mazda and BMW engines through out history, but Mazda have used forged crankshafts in some of their car engines. In the 1.6 and 1.8L in the Miata and engines had forged cranks and oil cooled pistons, and didn't make exceptional power stock, but they were pretty tough and handled a decent amount of boost. Ford and Kia used Mazda designs for years and years as well, but with some cheapening with cast cranks and lower redlines.
I suspect BMW's non m-engines of 90s may not have forged crankshafts, and pistons, and didn't check as many high performance engine boxes, as some of mazda's engine, but were perfectly fine for what they were supposed to do.

Buy used past warranty and then disconnect it. I would think that with a Factory Service manual or an internet search that this should be easy enough to do. I would think that a lot of the older ones are already not working due to the demise of 2G and 3G cell service. I'm thinking that I would be looking for something with a built in cellphone antenna to disconnect, or shield the antenna. Just a guess as I drive a 1999 car.

So Mazda pays for cell service on the vehicle? Do they stop cell service after the warranty? I would presume so as this appears to be a CYA feature for the manufacturer.

I don't know all the specifics of all Mazda and BMW engines through out history, but Mazda have used forged crankshafts in some of their car engines. In the 1.6 and 1.8L in the Miata and engines had forged cranks and oil cooled pistons, and didn't make exceptional power stock, but they were pretty tough and handled a decent amount of boost. Ford and Kia used Mazda designs for years and years as well, but with some cheapening with cast cranks and lower redlines.
I suspect BMW's non m-engines of 90s may not have forged crankshafts, and pistons, and didn't check as many high performance engine boxes, as some of mazda's engine, but were perfectly fine for what they were supposed to do.
I do remember that the M42 had a forged crank but not the M44.

So Mazda pays for cell service on the vehicle? Do they stop cell service after the warranty? I would presume so as this appears to be a CYA feature for the manufacturer.
Ford pays for it on theirs. I've never paid a dime over what I paid for the truck and it hauls around a cell modem with service through AT&T. They offer plans for a wireless hotspot if you want them, but if not, the network is still used for all the FordPass things it does. Remote start and lock/unlock are some of them. It's not a high-end truck either, it is essentially an XL with a couple of packages tacked on.

Mom's maverick is the same way. Almost as base model as it gets and still has the modem and FordPass.

I have no doubt they're logging everything through it as well, I'm just not bothered....at the moment.

Back