Apparently Mazda is collecting data on connected cars…

And using the data on people’s driving habits to deny warranty coverage.

Link the the Reddit post.

The Mazda Privacy Policy does allow for them to collect all sorts of data, and you have to contact them to disable the TCU if you don’t want them to do so. I’m sure they’re not the only automaker that does this, but it is a discussion. Automakers have used ECU data for a while now in order to deny warranty coverage. Is this much different? I’m not sure I care too much, but what about if Mazda sells the data? It’s not collecting any more info than your phone is already collecting, but do we draw the line somewhere?

I’m attaching a screenshot of the story, in case some folks don’t want to visit Reddit.

84DD9E07-06CD-435A-9F7C-4562ACAC06CE.jpeg

This is insane, if you don't want sport mode used, don't friggin' include it. If you provide a specific drive mode, you have absolutely zero say in how frequently that drive mode is used, to assume otherwise, because you've manufactured junk that can't hold up to that usage profile, is laughable. Hopefully this goes to court.

BMW hosts track days (as does/did SRT, and GM). Clearly, some manufacturers actively embrace using drive modes as intended, while others are in the poseur camp.

Some years ago there was a rumor that Subaru tried to keep a record of VIN's on vehicles (WRX?) which appeared at various track events. I don't know if that was true.

Automakers obviously have a vested interest in monitoring how their vehicles are performing and being able to leverage that information for warranty claims is an added benefit. This has been especially important with the implementation of turbocharging. Aftermarket tunes are a dime a dozen and it's not fair that other owners must subsidize fraudulent warranty claims by other owners. Bosch, who manufactures many of the chips used by automakers, has been implementing all sorts of methods to hinder cracking. Being able to relay real time information would be a valuable tool for deterring customers, especially those who lease, from modifying their vehicle.

It's only a matter of time before this information is used in a lawsuit or criminal case. DA's already subpoena security cam footage from private property.

Last edited:
2500-3600 rpm isn't really all that high, lots of Mazda cars from the 90's and early 2000's would be doing near 3600rpm at 80mph. My Focus would be near 3200 rpm. If you were driving around at 5-6k rpm all the time I could see maybe having an issue in as little as 10k miles?
I think the fellow needs to get a lawyer.

Even without LTE, they can probably pull that from the ecm when its in the shop anyway.

They most certainly can, ask any e36 M3 owner that missed a shift and revved it ti the moon...

My question is - are they saying it was in sport and held at this RPM DURING the consumption test? If so i can sort understand that, otherwise I would fight them hard on this, because their modes should not allow the engine to damage itself.

That's a mark against Mazda for me. Not so much because of collecting data but because their approach to this is exactly what Nissan did with the GTR - record when people turned off T/C and void their warranty because their transmissions were blowing up left and right.

Some years ago there was a rumor that Subaru tried to keep a record of VIN's on vehicles (WRX?) which appeared at various track events. I don't know if that was true.

It true - and their event reps would go around recording the VINs.

EDIT: And I think numerous driving events that Subaru invited new/current owners to, only for those owners to find out their warranty was voided too (separate of the FRS/BRZ issue not too long ago.)

2500-3600 rpm isn't really all that high, lots of Mazda cars from the 90's and early 2000's would be doing near 3600rpm at 80mph. My Focus would be near 3200 rpm. If you were driving around at 5-6k rpm all the time I could see maybe having an issue in as little as 10k miles?
I think the fellow needs to get a lawyer.

Right? I remember driving a MS Protege and the engine was spinning at 4K trying to do 80mph. The Evo's 5spd was at 3800rpm @ 80mph.

Overheating should cause a warning to the operator. If no warning was provided to this owner, he had no idea there was a problem. Mazda will lose this case. Any RPM the engine has available can be used. The first contact at Mazda disallowing the warranty work will be over ridden as soon as it moves up the ladder unless there is an explicit warning in the owners manual or displayed by the vehicle.

Whaaaat. You mean to say x company that forced an always connected feature to their products collect user data to use in nefarious ways against you? Would've never thunk in a bazillion years.

This is insane, if you don't want sport mode used, don't friggin' include it. If you provide a specific drive mode, you have absolutely zero say in how frequently that drive mode is used, to assume otherwise, because you've manufactured junk that can't hold up to that usage profile, is laughable. Hopefully this goes to court.

BMW hosts track days (as does/did SRT, and GM). Clearly, some manufacturers actively embrace using drive modes as intended, while others are in the poseur camp.
Literally. If they provide something for you to use then it must not be an issue for when you use it. That's insane as well. He wasn't redlining and racing it, just cruising with sport mode on. How could that be grounds for vehicle misuse. Mazda is insane.

Overheating should cause a warning to the operator. If no warning was provided to this owner, he had no idea there was a problem. Mazda will lose this case. Any RPM the engine has available can be used. The first contact at Mazda disallowing the warranty work will be over ridden as soon as it moves up the ladder unless there is an explicit warning in the owners manual or displayed by the vehicle.
If an engine overheats simply because the sport mode made it ran at tad higher rpms than normal then the vehicle is a piece ******** that ought to be crushed right off the assembly line if they refuse to fix it. Or better yet discontinued.

Last edited:
Back