2022 VW Taos reviewed by Motortrend

People want an elevated ride height for a more commanding view of the road, more confident driving through standing water and deeper snow, and easier step in seating. These new generation S/CUVs also handle just fine and return decent mpg. It's much more practical than my Passat sedan.

To the few guys that hate it, this manufacturer really doesn't care. Four (Atlas, A.Cross,Tiguan and now Taos) S/CUV models is evidence of that. But it does have other segments for you to choose from. Everyone wins.

Last edited:
At least VW will still sell you a sedan. Can't blame them for jumping on the SUV bandwagon, that's where the sales are at, but I wish it didn't come at the cost of more interesting offerings like the Alltrack. I'm not a fan of the swarm of pocket SUV's either, but as I age ingress and egress starts to become a consideration. My 80 year old father bought his first SUV (a Tiguan) a few years ago just for that reason.

I love VW's but like many other manufacturers I'd be hesitant to buy a first year model.

Ok. The current 1.4 TSI delivers 30/40. I'm not sure potential reliability concerns warrant the bump in MPG. Of course, this is how you make progress. I won't be purchasing one until it's been out for a few years.
I agree with you, since there are some new technologies being used in the engine. I'd wait a couple of years to chance it.

People want an elevated ride height for a more commanding view of the road, more confident driving through standing water and deeper snow, and easier step in seating. These new generation S/CUVs also handle just fine and return decent mpg. It's much more practical than my Passat sedan.

To the few guys that hate it, this manufacturer really doesn't care. Four (Atlas, A.Cross,Tiguan and now Taos) S/CUV models is evidence of that. But it does have other segments for you to choose from. Everyone wins.

I don't blame them either, but I'd rather buy a Golf over the Jetta any day, since you get efficiency, practicality, and great performance at a
rational price...The jetta is too Americanized for my tastes, and the rumor is that VWoA isn't bringing the normal Golf to the US next model year.
Only the Golf GTI model is going to continue on...

I understand where you're coming from. I think of you drove the GLi, you'd like it too.

If the auto industry listened to all the "enthusiast sites" including this one they would be producing nothing but vehicles with manual transmissions and be out of business........

If the auto industry listened to all the "enthusiast sites" including this one they would be producing nothing but vehicles with manual transmissions and be out of business........

but then again mfrs shouldn't be so tin eared to the enthusiasts either, since they tend to recommend things to those around them.

I myself don't believe they should be focused on smaller vehicles and manual transmissions today, but they have to an extreme IGNORED
anything but that CUV/SUV/PU demo now....reminds me of the appliance business make em white, make em cheap, and make tons of em and only them. 🙄 Sure that's changed in the past 40 years but the car business has gotten much worse with sameness.

but then again mfrs shouldn't be so tin eared to the enthusiasts either, since they tend to recommend things to those around them.

I myself don't believe they should be focused on smaller vehicles and manual transmissions today, but they have to an extreme IGNORED
anything but that CUV/SUV/PU demo now....reminds me of the appliance business make em white, make em cheap, and make tons of em and only them. 🙄 Sure that's changed in the past 40 years but the car business has gotten much worse with sameness.

Unfortunately Apple Translator could not understand your comment.

Manual brown wagons with 500 horsepower minimum.

I have stopped giving car shopping advice to most people as they’re looking for someone to confirm the choice they’ve already made, not what they should get.

Reactions: CKN
So glad I got this before they were gone.
20201002_180535.jpg

It will prob sell like hotcakes like the Tiguan - the typical consumers have voted with their wallets and they want these CUV's. I believe the Tiguan unseated the Jetta as highest volume seller for VWoA a year or so back when 2nd gen came out.

I agree with you, since there are some new technologies being used in the engine. I'd wait a couple of years to chance it.

I know VW is touting it as a "new" engine but it appears its really just a worked over 1.4T. Really the only noteworthy new technology is cylinder deactivation and the variable geometry turbo.

VGT's were previously a problem on gasoline cars due to higher EGT's than diesels, I am sure VW has figured this problem out as their clean diesels have been blow torching their VGT's during regeneration for years now. Honestly I am kind of curious if there are any other manufacturers doing VGT's on their gassers.

Some countries tax you more via different licensing for an Automatic VRS Manual
Sounds like a tax I would support.

In any event manual transmissions are getting hit by forces much stronger than consumer preferences.

Crash testing and emissions need to be tailor made for the drivetrain, this costs millions of dollars.

Because of these costs the narrative is nobody wants them so we don’t offer them and because they don’t offer them nobody can have them and thus no one is exposed to a manual and can develop an affinity for them.

Self fulfilling prophecy

This is why the number of motor choices is basically gone to a single drivetrain in many car models.

Then we have some areas that want to tax the living $&@“ out of economy cars due to the imagined belief they don’t pay enough road taxes.

All of these forces mold what consumers will buy. I estimate in a few years we will have a price explosion and all these oversized minivan things will become unpopular as tastes change and everyone will have their pants down with no efficient offerings.

Odd how most motorcycles are MT and no one cares.

Last edited:
Some countries tax you more via different licensing for an Automatic VRS Manual
Sounds like a tax I would support.

In any event manual transmissions are getting hit by forces much stronger than consumer preferences.

Crash testing and emissions need to be tailor made for the drivetrain, this costs millions of dollars.

Because of these costs the narrative is nobody wants them so we don’t offer them and because they don’t offer them nobody can have them and thus no one is exposed to a manual and can develop an affinity for them.

Self fulfilling prophecy

This is why the number of motor choices is basically gone to a single drivetrain in many car models.

Odd how most motorcycles are MT and no one cares.

Cheaper and more efficient for the automakers too. Develop one platform and assemble multiple models on that same platform.

I was just reading the article over on CNET and noticed something. Those front headlights look out of place or misaligned in relation to the body surrounding them.

That is just prototype - not production model. It looks like the blank space above the headlights is going to be an extension of the grill so will be chromed out.

Back