2011 Civic 1.8 - Havoline 0w-20, or Magnatec?

Car runs 5w-20, thought I'd run 0w20 now since there's no point otherwise for the 5w. Last oil change had the Pennzoil high-mileage blend, so what should I add to the oil to help maintain that high-mileage formula? Would a bottle of 5w-20 high-mileage whatever be suffice?

The Havoline and Magnatec are the exact same price for the 5qt jugs, and am not sure which to go with.
Either of those will meet the same specs, so my vote is pick whichever oil makes the engine run the quietest. Not scientific but I figure less noise means less engine parts rubbing together.

The manual says 5w20. Use 5w20. Any 5w20 will be fine, but HM may help with the leak.

Screenshot_20210709-110210_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Call it nit-picking if you like, but the keyword there is "preferred". That same engine in other countries says it can use 0W-20 to 10W-40.
Yep, in Australia for the Civic Series, 1.8 Litre SOHC Eng. (2011-2012)
they say to use 5W30 or 10W30 or 10W40

However for the Civic VTi/ -L Sedan, 1.8 Litre SOHC Eng. (2011-2016)
they also say 0W20

Interesting .... same oil filter as my Holden Astra

OP, you are in SoCal, live life on the edge and try a 5W30 or even a 10W30, just so you will have an exciting story to share with your grandchildren. You stared death (& CAFE) in the face and laughed!

OP, you are in SoCal, live life on the edge and try a 5W30 or even a 10W30, just so you will have an exciting story to share with your grandchildren. You stared death (& CAFE) in the face and laughed!
lol never. I did that with my Sentra - went from 0w-20 to 5w-20 and throttle felt ridiculously sluggish post oil-change. Heck I might do 0w-16 on that to see if there's an improvement on the garbage fuel economy (19 city)

lol never. I did that with my Sentra - went from 0w-20 to 5w-20 and throttle felt ridiculously sluggish post oil-change. Heck I might do 0w-16 on that to see if there's an improvement on the garbage fuel economy (19 city)
Why would it feel sluggish? Don’t go to 0w16!

You live in SoCal, it's never cold enough for 5W20 to get that much thicker than 0W20, depending on what oil we're talking about specifically, but from what I've seen the KV40 of most 5W20 and 0W20 oils is within 10% and 5W20 doesn't get much thicker than it's 0W20 counterparts unless it's way colder than it ever gets in SoCal

Oh please. It’s quite possible that the oil with the 0W winter rating was somewhat thicker than the one with the 5W rating depending on the temperature. An oil with a 0W rating is only guaranteed to be thinner at temperatures around -35F or so. At any temperature above that they are going to be close in viscosity with one being slightly thicker or thinner depending upon the brand.

You need to learn what an oil‘s winter rating means - and does not mean. At most temperatures it means very little.

If I had to choose between the two options you listed, I would use Magnatec (full synthetic). If you are willing to branch out, Pennzoil Platinum.

Call it nit-picking if you like, but the keyword there is "preferred". That same engine in other countries says it can use 0W-20 to 10W-40.
Absolutely! And when I see the words "For fuel economy", that tells me it's for economy vs maximum protection. My Accord in other parts of the world lists 0W-20 to 15W-40 as preferred viscosities.

that tells me it's for economy vs maximum protection
At the same time, engines aren't going to be damaged running 20-weight oils. Some manufacturers are moving to 16-weight ! Some would have people believe that it's guaranteed to cause catastrophic damage in very short order.... yet there's plenty of vehicles with hundreds of thousands of miles that used 20-weight their entire lives.

Car runs 5w-20, thought I'd run 0w20 now since there's no point otherwise for the 5w. Last oil change had the Pennzoil high-mileage blend, so what should I add to the oil to help maintain that high-mileage formula? Would a bottle of 5w-20 high-mileage whatever be suffice?

The Havoline and Magnatec are the exact same price for the 5qt jugs, and am not sure which to go with.
we have a 2010 Civic 1.8. If I had a minor leak, I would run Valvoline Max-Life 5W-30. If you really want to run 0W-20, pick any fulll synthetic like Supertech, Valvoline, Quaker State, etc.

Havoline Pro DS HM or the Walmart version Pro DS "Lifelong" (it is the same thing as the HM, but Walmart is using a different labeling)

Once I accidently dumped the jug of Idemitsu 0w20 into wifey's '06 TSX with the mighty K24, which calls for 5w30.
Dang if that engine didn't love the Idemitsu swill!

The OP was probably thinking: there is no way there could be so many opinions on a simple question.....either oil is fine, but I don't know which is better.....

Back