2010 Rav4. ST9972 FILTER

So my neighbor asked me to do a quick oil change today on his daughter's car. Ran to wallyworld real quick for a filter and the only one they had in stock was the supertech. I often don't use supertech but did notice these are wire backed. Filter seems pretty nice quality for the under $3 bucks at walmart. Has this filter always been like this or is this new? For the money it's not bad at all

20240414_081135.jpg

20240414_081143.jpg

20240414_081148.jpg

Nice looking cartridge, even more so for low priced ST. Wire backed, wth. And made in the US. (y) IDK how this happened but 'looks' to be a high quality cartridge. Almost looks like an OG XG variant.

Imo, no need to do a side by side with Toyota oem cartridge. A simple search will show many of them already posted. The latter, Toyota no endcap type element seen many times.

Nice find!

Just a small footnote:
With all the talk of pleat evenness / wire backing / endcap construction / silicone vs nitrile ADBV and style of bypass hardware, it's funny I never read a word here regarding "rounded pleats" nor have I seen the roller / embosser machine needed to make them nor any mention of crimp or fold (to make the cylinder). just an observation.

Just a small footnote:
With all the talk of pleat evenness / wire backing / endcap construction / silicone vs nitrile ADBV and style of bypass hardware, it's funny I never read a word here regarding "rounded pleats" nor have I seen the roller / embosser machine needed to make them nor any mention of crimp or fold (to make the cylinder). just an observation.
Have only seen rounded pleats when wire backing is required for mechanical integrity …

Can't really tell by the photo but was the media white or like a peach color? That sounds like the best deal in the market for that Rav4.

The new 9018, 9972, and 10358 supertech filters are wire backed and $2.97. Up until a week ago those filters were only available in the "MP" supertech line and were not wire backed.

looks like the best deal on filtration for vehicles that can utilize this size. great looking filter much less for $3.

Hey that was my idea! It is documented on these pages at least twice.

That one is a little too small by 50% though; Maybe o.k. for a fuel filter.

I have even been saving up empty Beefaroni cans for when the day comes!
Smaller ones have better rigidity and are less likely to become serial wavers

Back