2010 Mustang V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the hoopla over the new 2011 V6 Mustang, the 2010 version tends to be pushed off the map, but I chose one over a 2011 anyway! Sure, it has less horsepower, and supposedly worse fuel economy ratings, but I liked the fact that the 4.0 Explorer-sourced SOHC engine is a stout performer that's been around long enough to have proven itself. Opening the hood, it's almost shocking to see that the spark plugs, wires, air filter, oil filter, alternator, belt and other components are within easy reach and that the engine fits into the bay with plenty of room to spare. Ok, so the motor mounts look like they were designed as an afterthought by a grammar-school wanna-be engineer, but they hold it where it needs to be!

The ease-of-maintenance, coupled with the 4.0 engine's solid reputation coaxed me in...along with the fact that the car came with a generous rebate in addition to the A-plan price since it was a "leftover" 2010 model. I've had the car for a few months now and it's showing just over 3600 miles on the clock, so I've had plenty of time to live with it in day-to-day driving.

First off, I opted for a total base model...no tacky stripes or spoilers...just a "Plane Jane" silver car with a black interior. I'd add my own styling touches later! I got the 5-speed manual transmission and all the other standard features, including AM/FM CD stereo, cruise control, power windows and locks, etc. Far from being a stripped-down commuter, it came in priced at $19,605 out the door.

How is it? Well, here's what I've noticed and experienced:

Right off the bat, it had to go back to the dealer for an alignment. It was so far off that you could SEE the front wheels towed out and cambered in at the top. It made the car "darty" at any speed over 45mph, and the dealer corrected it right away.

With the alignment set to spec, the front end stayed where pointed, but the car becomes a REAL handful at freeway speeds (anything over 55mph). The back end is extremely light and the car tends to swerve a LOT if any input at all is given to the steering wheel. I contacted an aftermarket suspension supplier about stiffer rear springs, and was told that the 2010 Mustang is known for this problem, but springs won't cure the problem. Turns out, Ford must have skipped wind tunnel testing and the result is that the air forms a pocket over the decklid, effectively "lifting" the rear of the car at freeway speeds and making it almost dangerously skittish. After a while, you DO get used to it, and driving with the windows rolled down helps stabilize it a LITTLE, and makes it recover slightly faster, but it's like driving on ice all the time.

Next up comes observed fuel economy. Since I bought the car, I've only used Sunoco fuel, and always from the same local station. At first, it averaged 23mpg in combined city and freeway driving, but that fell off to 18mpg when I installed a "drop in" K&N air filter. I've since removed the K&N filter and reinstalled the stock one, since the aftermarket filter also caused the car to be sluggish off the line, although top end power and intake sound were both a bit better. Now, the car tends to hover around 21mpg for a city/freeway average.

At 2171 miles, I drained the factory installed oil and removed the factory filter, originally intending to install a WIX filter along with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-30 oil. The WIX filter appeared to be filled with a fine metal powder, and would not thread on, so I installed a new Motorcraft filter that I had also purchased instead. No problems with the Motorcraft filter purchased from the dealer, so I bought several more.

With the break-in period pretty well passed, I've stepped into the throttle harder and brought the RPMs up higher between shifts, and the car does perform pretty well for what it is! I like that the 2010 V6 Mustang is a one-year-only deal, being the only year the 4.0 will be installed in the new body style, and the car is comfortable and pleasant to drive on a day-to-day basis (just stay on your toes at freeway speeds!!).

Before purchasing this car, I also test-drove the 2010 Camaro V6 with a manual transmission, and a 2010 Challenger SE with a V6 and automatic (good luck finding a stick shift V6 Challenger, even though it's advertised as being available!!). The Camaro performed the best, hands-down, and the Challenger drove like a dream, but felt like a barge as far as acceleration and handling were concerned. Probably the Challenger would be the best everyday car of the three, but in the end, the Mustang won out on price...coming in at almost $7500 less than my best deal on a Camaro, and $8850 less than what I could get a Challenger SE for!

A side note here is that my FIRST choice for a new car was a 2010 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, not something normally considered to be in the same class as the three new Detroit Pony Cars, but availability proved to be an issue...just none left in Michigan by time I was ready to buy! I test drove a demo model and was floored by it's outstanding performance and value-per-dollar, but I didn't want that particular car because it had a bunch of HARD miles on it, I'm sure!

So, am I happy with the new 2010 Mustang over my preferred Sentra? Well...the Mustang could never be the performer that the Sentra is, but it's comfy, classy and is one beautiful looking automobile! Driving it is kind of like dating a supermodel...it's a total knockout in the looks department, but she comes with issues and baggage that need constant attention...although anyone that sees the two of you together is sure that you've got it made! My Mustang is a beauty, and I love it for what it is...but when that lucky lottery number comes in, it's going to get a hot little 2011 Nissan sibling...even if I have to drive to California to get one!!

Am I happy with my purchase? Yes! It's a great car that catches everyone's eye and should prove reliable for many years to come(I hope!). I bought it to replace my 1995 Taurus SHO which was literally falling apart, and it's doing the job nicely! If it lasts 15 years like the SHO did, I'll be stoked! So far, it's off to a great start!! :)

Does yours have the LED taillights that have the "arrow-effect" when the turnsignal is used? I think those are sharp!

Just FYI, don't know what you're paying at the dealer for those MC filters and oil, but the MC filters are like $3.50-$4 at most places, and Wally has 5qt jugs of MC 5-20 for $11-$12 I think. Congrats on the car!

As to the rear end lift at highway speeds, are there any spoilers specifically designed to help the issue? (and not just some tacky ricer slap-on monster wing!)

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Does yours have the LED taillights that have the "arrow-effect" when the turnsignal is used? I think those are sharp!

You mean the sequential turn signals? yeah, I like them too. First car that I saw them on years ago was a Mercury Cougar

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy

Yes, it has those, although I try not to use them unless I have to! To me, they're really kinda tacky...and seeing other 2010/2011 Mustang owners using them every chance they get, just to show 'em off only keeps me from using mine even more! Ha Ha...I mean, really...who are they trying to impress by using them in a PARKING LOT?! :D

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass

As to the rear end lift at highway speeds, are there any spoilers specifically designed to help the issue? (and not just some tacky ricer slap-on monster wing!)

I've looked at a few options, and I agree that I DON'T want some giant 747 wing on the car! The factory GT spoiler looks pretty aggressive, but in talking to a couple owners of those cars, they say it doesn't help all that much. To go with the general 'theme' of my car, I'll buy one styled loosely after the 1969-70 Boss Mustang ones, or just leave the trunk plain. Either way, it seems like the only option is to get used to it and live with the problem.

(These things happen when automakers substitute 'real world' testing for virtual reality, computer-simulated environments and test "drives" done with the cars strapped to a chassis dyno...sad to say!)

Quote:

"Turns out, Ford must have skipped wind tunnel testing and the result is that the air forms a pocket over the decklid, effectively "lifting" the rear of the car at freeway speeds and making it almost dangerously skittish. After a while, you DO get used to it, and driving with the windows rolled down helps stabilize it a LITTLE, and makes it recover slightly faster, but it's like driving on ice all the time."

This would kill buying the car right there for me...I can't believe a modern car would have this dangerous of a trait.

I tend to think there is something wrong with your car to make it unstable at speed. I haven't heard of that on the Mustang forums. I know my 06GT is stable at 125 (highest I've been).

A friend of mine purchased a new Crown Vic (I think a 96) that never handled right. The dealer couldn't fix it. After months of hassle, Ford took it back as a lemmon. It seemed that some of their cars had been damaged during rail transport. They had been cinched down so hard on the railcars that the unibodies were bent. I doubt if this is the problem but I think something isn't right. Ford tests new body styles in the windtunnel and the proving ground. The fact that the alignment was so bad at purchase also makes me suspicious. Mustangs generally have a somewhat "heavy" and stable feel at speed. Mine is more stable than our Escape or our almost new Acadia.

I bet your old SHO had a bit of rear toe in and some negative camber which makes the back end move with front more quickly.
Your solid rear axle might have no toe or camber so it takes a second for a slip angle to develop and then the back of the car actually moves with the front. Try pumping the back tires up 10 psi, it will make the sidewalls stiffer and it should reduce the vague feeling. My tracker has 75 series tires recommended at 26 psi, on a solid rear axle so its a big vague too, I run the tires at 32 psi and have gotten used to it so its not an issue anymore.
A long term solution could be getting lower profile tires with stiffer sidewalls or just run your tires a bit harder. Also as the tires wear they will also squirm less and feel more connected to the road.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Quote:

"Turns out, Ford must have skipped wind tunnel testing and the result is that the air forms a pocket over the decklid, effectively "lifting" the rear of the car at freeway speeds and making it almost dangerously skittish. After a while, you DO get used to it, and driving with the windows rolled down helps stabilize it a LITTLE, and makes it recover slightly faster, but it's like driving on ice all the time."

This would kill buying the car right there for me...I can't believe a modern car would have this dangerous of a trait.

The funny thing is, they don't have this trait.

OP, do you have any pics of your new car you can post?

Not trying to be a downer, but I would have held out for the Cyclone. The 3.7 is an absolute gem compared to the 4.0L SOHC.

Well, he should just make sure he never drives the new one...
lol.gif

It's all relative anyways. He should go drive a Sebring convertible and I sure his current mustang will then be more than satisfactory.

The 2005-09 Mustangs don't seem to have that "squirrely" feel to them, just the 2010 and possibly 2011 models from what I've heard. I don't think the bodies are THAT much different, and the suspension looks the same, but maybe I'm missing something here??

A friend of mine thought I was being overly critical until I took him on the freeway in the car and gave the steering wheel a very slight wiggle...had him grabbing for the dash in a near panic! After three months, I've gotten used to it, and just accept that it's how Ford let the car go into production, selling it on looks alone rather than engineering...which is really nothing new.

My SHO was a worn-out basket case by time I scrapped it...had the typical cracked front cradle, worn-out steering rack, old tires, original struts, worn bushings and all. It tended to wander around a bit at freeway speeds, too...but in a different manner. I was totally used to it, though, so it didn't concern me much. In a pinch, under hard cornering, it still held it's mud, though, letting the rear break loose just before the front in a very predictable and controlable fashion. The Mustang drives into a hard corner well and holds on predictably well...the aerodynamic issue doesn't hurt it there...it's just skittish at freeway speeds in a straight line.

My fault, I suppose...I test drove the Camaro, Challenger and Sentra on the freeways, but not the Mustang. Having driven several older Mustangs, I had no reason to suspect any issues...but that just shows you that you can't take anything for granted these days!

Nest time around, it's the Sentra for sure...200hp in a factory-built slalom racer with sticky tires, race suspension, body bracing, Rockford-Fosgate sound system, six speed manual and a price tag rivaling the base Mustang!

But, [censored]...the Mustang sure is pretty!! :)

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Try pumping the back tires up 10 psi, it will make the sidewalls stiffer and it should reduce the vague feeling. My tracker has 75 series tires recommended at 26 psi, on a solid rear axle so its a big vague too, I run the tires at 32 psi and have gotten used to it so its not an issue anymore.
A long term solution could be getting lower profile tires with stiffer sidewalls or just run your tires a bit harder. Also as the tires wear they will also squirm less and feel more connected to the road.

I tried cranking up the tire pressure right off the bat, but it didn't change anything. My SHO had leaky aluminum rims and it felt almost exactly like the Mustang does when one or more of it's tires got too low on pressure, but the Mustang's problem doesn't seem to be related to the tires or pressure...it's kind of hard to describe, but unmistakable when you're in the car!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back