2010 Mustang V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Classic jingle, for sure...right up there with Roy O'Brien's!

I'm sure not everyone at the Flatrock plant is a slacker, and there are some fine folks employed at Taylor Ford...but when you end up with a new car riddled with issues, being serviced by a bunch of careless technicians, it tends to upset even the best of us!

The 1993 F150 I bought from them was fine...so this one kind of hit like a slap in the face!

When you saw the car was trashed etc. did you contact the manager? You have a record of your problems and complaints and if you can not get the problems resolved you should contact Ford. Let them get involved and the problem will be resolved. I have owned most brands over the years and the majority of the time the dealership or the company has taken care of the problems.

Originally Posted By: Shadowscraps
Classic jingle, for sure...right up there with Roy O'Brien's!

I'm sure not everyone at the Flatrock plant is a slacker, and there are some fine folks employed at Taylor Ford...but when you end up with a new car riddled with issues, being serviced by a bunch of careless technicians, it tends to upset even the best of us!

The 1993 F150 I bought from them was fine...so this one kind of hit like a slap in the face!

Without driving it myself, I can't comment on the highway stability. But a rad hose blowing off sounds like a very minor problem that could be caused by any number of small flukes. a bad hose, a bad hose clamp, maybe it just didn't happen to be pushed all the way on... A ton of things. I wouldn't call having a car with one real issue "riddle with problems".

If the car was trashed when you went to pick it up, why did you take it in that state? There's always complaining to the manager, and then to Ford themselves. Usually when corporate gets involved, it's taken care of with speed and lots of smiles. At least that's been my experience with other giant corporations.

I lived with it everyday and I know when it isn't right.

Been thinking.....How did you not notice that the heater hose had blown off? Wasn't there massive amounts of anti freeze and the associated smell? Didn't the anti freeze hit the headers and cause a lot of stinky smoke? Did you keep driving the car until it overheated?

Sounds like a lot of things were wrong and you missed them all.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
If the car was trashed when you went to pick it up, why did you take it in that state? There's always complaining to the manager, and then to Ford themselves. Usually when corporate gets involved, it's taken care of with speed and lots of smiles. At least that's been my experience with other giant corporations.

Bingo. If my car was full of corn chips and running funny when I got back into it, it wouldn't be leaving their lot until it was back in the condition in which it arrived.

Nobody should tolerate ANYTHING like this on a new car.... And then doing so, and complaining on an on-line forum? I dunno.... Just doesn't sound right to me.

The dealer should look after you. If they don't, make them. Don't "pack up your toys and leave" then complain to Fred and Steve that Billy broke your transformer. You shouldn't have left Billy's house until things were right.

I did smell something and saw the smoke when the hose came off on the freeway...I didn't recognize the smell for what it was, but got to the side of the road and opened the hood, where I saw the hose had come off. I pushed it back on, but the clamp was useless, so I put two zip-ties on the hose to try and hold it on (kept zip-ties in the trunk since putting the rear fuel evap lines back up so they didn't rub on the track bar a couple months ago).

Drove another few miles watching the temp gauge, and when it got over to the "H", I shut it down and had it towed. SHOULD have had it towed home and fixed it myself...so there's a lesson learned for next time.

By time I picked the car up from the dealer, I just didn't care anymore. Them trashing it was not my biggest concern...getting rid of the car was. They refused to buy it back, so it's on to the next move. I washed and cleaned it myself...something I could have avoided if I had fixed it myself with a REAL hose clamp!

Lots of identical hose clamps under that hood...making the car a ticking time bomb....waiting for the next one to fail. Won't drive it farther than walking distance from the house anymore, so what's the use in a car like that? Can't be trusted, that's my point.

Between Ford using the lowest bidding, catch-penny suppliers, and shoddy workmanship at the plants...this is just another example of what the consumer can expect, sad to say.

That's still pretty interesting, considering the thousands of V6 mustangs out there with that exact same engine, and those exact same hose clamps. Clearly it isn't an epidemic, because otherwise we'd hear about it ALL THE TIME. Again, our 2007 likely has the exact same clamps, and they haven't blown off yet in 35k miles, and I highly doubt they will.

Oh and by the way, Toyota, GM, Honda, Hyundai (US), Subaru (US), all use the same suppliers for parts such as those. I'd say you don't know exactly what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Ok, I guess I can give in and put my sunshine blinders on and ignore that the fact that a brand new $20,000 car left me stranded on the side of the road by saying "Aw, gee...it was JUST a little hose clamp...no big deal! Ain't life swell?"

Ford loyalists seem to be perfectly willing to accept this type of thing from a brand new vehicle...and it's your right to feel that way. Keep buying their products and consoling each other whenever something inexcusable happens...

...and buy some good walking shoes, too!

Ok, I guess I can give in and put my sunshine blinders on and ignore that the fact that a brand new $20,000 car left me stranded on the side of the road by saying "Aw, gee...it was JUST a little hose clamp...no big deal! Ain't life swell?"

Ford loyalists seem to be perfectly willing to accept this type of thing from a brand new vehicle...and it's your right to feel that way. Keep buying their products and consoling each other whenever something inexcusable happens...

I work at a GM/Nissan dealer. Just this month alone, new Malibu driven off the lot, brought back on a wrecker next day. Died on highway, would not restart. New Equinox driven off the lot, made it 60 miles, brought back on wrecker. Its not just your Ford, everything is built with cheap junk. Its a gamble with whatever you buy. But you always have the die hard fans that will sit in the customer lounge while their new GM vehicle is being fixed under warranty telling everyone that will listen how great Chevy is and how they would never own a Ford. Shunshine blinders indeed.

I agree that it's pretty bad that a hose clamp blew off a new car and caused an overheat...but I'm not sure that 'dumping' the vehicle, and loosing thousands and thousands of $$$ is a good move....

And I'd be saying the same thing regardless of brand. Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, hyundai. You know the old saying; "stuff" happens.

It happens with all car makers. The robots got a kink in the hydraulics so the casting for the clamp wasn't pushed as tight as it should be, the person assembling the heater hose might've been sick/distracted/tired and put it on wrong, the clamp could have been weaker than normal.

That's why they have a warranty on new cars, so if things happen that clearly aren't the buyer's fault, the manufacturer takes care of it.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
It happens with all car makers. The robots got a kink in the hydraulics so the casting for the clamp wasn't pushed as tight as it should be, the person assembling the heater hose might've been sick/distracted/tired and put it on wrong, the clamp could have been weaker than normal.

That's why they have a warranty on new cars, so if things happen that clearly aren't the buyer's fault, the manufacturer takes care of it.

Bingo. It's a freakin' hose clamp.

This isn't some ridiculous underground conspiracy to screw people out of their hard (or in some cases not so hard) earned money.

Ford has used the SAME CLAMPS for DECADES. I can guarantee you that the clamps on our Expeditions are the same as the ones used on that Mustang.

The evil Ford boogeyman isn't out to get the OP. I don't expect vehicles from any manufacturer to be perfect. But this is NOT a common problem with this car. Labelling the line workers pylons, belittling and berating the brand and then brow-beating everybody on this forum who doesn't agree with your opinion (that of the OP) is simply obsurd.

Please, do me a favour. Go trade in the car, get raped on it, then go buy a Honda and maybe it'll spit a rod through the block. Then you can go on ANOTHER crusade about how [censored] Honda cars are and we can go through all this fun again!!!

It will not be a recurring problem. Those factory style clamps have been used for decades, and yet...parts stores don't sell them. (Vintage restoration suppliers excluded). Why not? Because they are a sub-standard design developed to streamline automaker profits, and are not designed to withstand actual usage in the real world! They are easier and faster to install...and they come off quicker and easier too...whether you want them to or not.

I got a bunch of REAL (screw-type) clamps from work today and installed them...two clamps at every connection, just like I used to do in my old 4x4 off-roading days. The consumer shouldn't have to invest time and money picking up the slack from poor engineering and careless assembly, but that's the way it is.

You are right, it isn't just Ford...and isn't just domestic automakers...but it's something potential customers should be aware of, and look out for. Be ready to do some re-engineering if you plan to drive that new vehicle very far!

Wait a Second.... So all of the tens of millions of cars on the roads.... All of them need new rad hose clamps? Dude if I could roll my eyes any further they'd fall out of my skull.

From what you've said in this thread, I'd say you are pretty ignorant and careless. No offense really meant, but seriously. This obviously isn't a huge issue otherwise we'd hear about rad hoses blowing off EVERY DAY now wouldn't we? I have NEVER heard of a car blowing off the coolant hoses before this. According to you it should be happening with just about every new car, and it clearly isn't happening that way.

It will not be a recurring problem. Those factory style clamps have been used for decades, and yet...parts stores don't sell them. (Vintage restoration suppliers excluded). Why not? Because they are a sub-standard design developed to streamline automaker profits, and are not designed to withstand actual usage in the real world! They are easier and faster to install...and they come off quicker and easier too...whether you want them to or not.

I got a bunch of REAL (screw-type) clamps from work today and installed them...two clamps at every connection, just like I used to do in my old 4x4 off-roading days. The consumer shouldn't have to invest time and money picking up the slack from poor engineering and careless assembly, but that's the way it is.

You are right, it isn't just Ford...and isn't just domestic automakers...but it's something potential customers should be aware of, and look out for. Be ready to do some re-engineering if you plan to drive that new vehicle very far!

Are you serious?

1. I can order those style of clamps EASILY from a parts store. They are not a STOCKED item in places like Autozone because you need a special TOOL to install them correctly. Because Uncle Ted and his buddy Zipper Jim might not pinch them squarely with the pliers and take their eye out. That in no way makes them inferior.

2. Screw-style gear clamps are not superior. That's the reason they are not rated for holding things like, oh, lets say EFI-rated fuel line, boost pipes on a turbo application, or the like.

There are special styles of clamps for each application. The clamps you don't trust Ford to use correctly are specifically tensioned to provide adequate clamping force for coolant-grade use without damaging the rubber pipe. Something that Uncle Jim with his ratchet and his gear clamps may not avoid doing as he's grinding them into the rubber.

There are MILLIONS of vehicles running around with these clamps holding their hoses on. MILLIONS. They are not a common failure item and your freak accident, which was likely due to the hose being installed incorrectly, NOT the clamp, can in no way nullify the fact that you are one of a very, very VERY small minority of people who have ever had these clamps fail.

Something to think about: We currently own FIVE Ford vehicles with a total combined mileage of 1,068,000Km's. They ALL have this style of clamp. We've NEVER had a clamp failure. How that fairs compared to your SINGLE, low-mileage data point... well.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Are you serious?

1. I can order those style of clamps EASILY from a parts store. They are not a STOCKED item in places like Autozone because you need a special TOOL to install them correctly. Because Uncle Ted and his buddy Zipper Jim might not pinch them squarely with the pliers and take their eye out. That in no way makes them inferior.

2. Screw-style gear clamps are not superior. That's the reason they are not rated for holding things like, oh, lets say EFI-rated fuel line, boost pipes on a turbo application, or the like.

There are special styles of clamps for each application. The clamps you don't trust Ford to use correctly are specifically tensioned to provide adequate clamping force for coolant-grade use without damaging the rubber pipe. Something that Uncle Jim with his ratchet and his gear clamps may not avoid doing as he's grinding them into the rubber.

There are MILLIONS of vehicles running around with these clamps holding their hoses on. MILLIONS. They are not a common failure item and your freak accident, which was likely due to the hose being installed incorrectly, NOT the clamp, can in no way nullify the fact that you are one of a very, very VERY small minority of people who have ever had these clamps fail.

Something to think about: We currently own FIVE Ford vehicles with a total combined mileage of 1,068,000Km's. They ALL have this style of clamp. We've NEVER had a clamp failure. How that fairs compared to your SINGLE, low-mileage data point... well.

I concur. We currently own three Ford vehicles with a combined mileage at this point of 104,000 miles. My grandmother has had 2 edges combined mileage of another 75,000 miles. No failures. Food for thought, my cavalier had the same hose clamps. There is another 137,000 miles. Other grandmother and grandfather had two cavaliers with 95k and 45k respectively, same clamps.. Yup seems like a widespread problem to me.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Are you serious?

+1

One of the reasons spring clamps are used is that they maintain compression on the hose as it shrinks and expands with temperature change. When screw type clamps are used, the only spring in the system is the poor mashed rubber hose you mentioned, hose that looks ruined when you take the clamp off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back