2010 Mustang V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 3 Ford vehicles including a 99 Grand Marquis that I last had for a total of 450K miles...No hose clamps failures whatsoever...In fact my 88 Town Car went 300K miles without hose clamp failures...Nobody in law enforcement is complaining either as they have alot of Ford trucks as well as the CVPI'S

Originally Posted By: Shadowscraps
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

Excellent quote, XS650.

Ah yes because the majority is always wrong. Especially when it comes to FACTUAL EVIDENCE such as STATISTICS OF HOSE CLAMP FAILURE.

Originally Posted By: XS650

One of the reasons spring clamps are used is that they maintain compression on the hose as it shrinks and expands with temperature change. When screw type clamps are used, the only spring in the system is the poor mashed rubber hose you mentioned, hose that looks ruined when you take the clamp off.

Yup on my twenty year old car someone installed a flush kit with the screw type clamps. They were the only ones leaking and never could get it to stop had replace it with the spring type. The other original spring type still no leaks after 20 years, funny it's the same type our Escape has.

Off roaders won't use spring clamps...hard to get a tow truck out to most places we drove our rigs! And yes, I'm aware that there are different types of clamps for different applications...we sell fuel injection clamps for EFI equipped cars, and even 'extreme duty' bolt-type clamps for cooling systems that Roush has us order for them.

The spring type clamps are fine for general vapor hoses, PCV hoses, or any hose that isn't under much pressure or vacuum. I've had radiator and heater hoses blow off in the past (lower hose on a Granada with factory spring clamps, heater hose on a Town Car with factory clamps, and a heater hose on a Cougar again...with factory clamps.), but I've never had a screw-type clamp fail, especially on my old 78 K5 Blazer which saw lots of severe off-road miles and on every bracket racer and street car I've ever built.

I've been working on cars since the 70s and learned a long time ago what works and what doesn't.

And, FYI, a Ford engineer once told me that the spring type clamps were not only cost-effective on the production line, but that they were a strategic 'programmed failure' tactic. He stated that the idea was not to have a total failure where the hose comes off, but to allow seepage after a few years, prompting the owner to return the vehicle to the dealer. Makes the dealerships money and gets the customer back there to possibly browse around at new vehicles while their car was being serviced. This came straight out of Ford Light Truck Operations where I worked from 1990-94. I had already learned my lesson about spring clamps by then, but found his comments interesting anyhow. Having some dealership experience under my belt as well, I'm pretty sure he was right on the money.

(Also as an FYI, the factory warranty rep also told me that the silicone used in place of a gasket on Tempo/Topaz oil pans was done for the exact same reason...the silicone breaks down and leaks after a few years and the car comes back to the dealer.)

But keep those Sunshine Blinders on if it makes you happy! No mechanic I know will ever re-install a spring clamp...it's just bad for business.

Originally Posted By: Shadowscraps
Off roaders won't use spring clamps...hard to get a tow truck out to most places we drove our rigs! And yes, I'm aware that there are different types of clamps for different applications...we sell fuel injection clamps for EFI equipped cars, and even 'extreme duty' bolt-type clamps for cooling systems that Roush has us order for them.

The spring type clamps are fine for general vapor hoses, PCV hoses, or any hose that isn't under much pressure or vacuum. I've had radiator and heater hoses blow off in the past (lower hose on a Granada with factory spring clamps, heater hose on a Town Car with factory clamps, and a heater hose on a Cougar again...with factory clamps.), but I've never had a screw-type clamp fail, especially on my old 78 K5 Blazer which saw lots of severe off-road miles and on every bracket racer and street car I've ever built.

I've been working on cars since the 70s and learned a long time ago what works and what doesn't.

And, FYI, a Ford engineer once told me that the spring type clamps were not only cost-effective on the production line, but that they were a strategic 'programmed failure' tactic. He stated that the idea was not to have a total failure where the hose comes off, but to allow seepage after a few years, prompting the owner to return the vehicle to the dealer. Makes the dealerships money and gets the customer back there to possibly browse around at new vehicles while their car was being serviced. This came straight out of Ford Light Truck Operations where I worked from 1990-94. I had already learned my lesson about spring clamps by then, but found his comments interesting anyhow. Having some dealership experience under my belt as well, I'm pretty sure he was right on the money.

(Also as an FYI, the factory warranty rep also told me that the silicone used in place of a gasket on Tempo/Topaz oil pans was done for the exact same reason...the silicone breaks down and leaks after a few years and the car comes back to the dealer.)

But keep those Sunshine Blinders on if it makes you happy! No mechanic I know will ever re-install a spring clamp...it's just bad for business.

So lets break this down here...every spring clamp on every Ford you ever had has failed,
but the one generic screw clamp on your Blazer lasted forever...hmmm...

You've been working on cars since the 70's and know what works and what doesn't; Are you certified or just a shadetree wannabe?

As far as a Ford engineer telling you that they "program" the clamps to fail, that is quite likely the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. Thanks for that!
A unicorn once told me that Dodge engineered their truck transmissions to fail just out of warranty so they had to come back to be fixed. Same unicorn told me that GM made the bumpers on the trucks out of recycled pop cans. See how silly you sound?
And as far as the silicone in place of gaskets because silicone will fail faster...
Have you ever heard of a GM 3100/3400????

I can't speak for every "mechanic" you know, but out of the 15 certified technicians in our shop, they all said they prefer the oem spring clamps. (They also said you should probably stop working on cars, and maybe should not be allowed outside unsupervised)

Try again troll.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back