2010 Accord--Pitted cam lobe pics

I wouldn’t call that varnish that’s a sludge engine from an issue or poor maintenance

No matter what OCI is claimed there’s an issue

Probably sell it, or fix it. You could try to run it till it quits could last weeks could last forever. Unlikely but it’s all a gamble

Reactions: hrv
A quick Google search shows that people have posted about spalling of the exhaust cam lobe(s). Typically, it's found on just 1 or 2 lobes and always just on the exhaust cam -- as is seen on my engine. About 80k miles ago, the timing chain and everything that touches it was replaced, including the VTC Actuator and VTC Solenoid. No visible problem with the cam was seen at that time.

I always run 30 or even 0w40 in this car. I have always ran high grade oil -- Mobil 1 or Renewable Lubricants. After the timing chain change, I dropped my OCI from 9k miles back down to 5k.

I'm a little disappointed in finding this.

You think I should just run the car as is until it starts to run poorly? It runs great still, but there is a tapping noise coming from this problem. I'm not sure I want to spend $1000+ fixing this issue on a 13 year old car with 250k miles on it that has slight front end damage from a deer collision.....
Did it ever have periods of sitting for a while? I've seen a much less serious example of this on both a 72 mustang mach 1 351c engine (low miles - lots of sitting) and a 79 Cadillac seville (also low miles and sat a lot). No symptoms, both were getting a camshaft swap by my friend who owns them and that's the only reason we discovered it.
Also common on aircraft that sit around just like cujet mentioned above.

That type of damage (looks like chunks missing from the cam lobe or follower surface) can be an oil related failure. It can be brought on by corrosion, although I would guess insufficient viscosity first, followed by low ZDDP content. The other part of this equation is insufficient hardening of the cam lobe or follower.

If it were starved for oil there would likely be circumferential grooves.

This kind of failure is also common on Lycoming aircraft engines. The total lack of ZDDP in aircraft engine oil means that oil viscosity alone must do the job. Which, it can't always do, especially when oil changes are extended, insufficient viscosity is chosen, or engines are allowed to sit for extended periods of time. You may notice in the pic below that some tappets are bad and others fine.
Not necessarily, once the hardened surface has been worn through, the softer metal can wear like pictured, and specially once it got really hot and mailable, which it would if it was starved of oil.

Not necessarily, once the hardened surface has been worn through, the softer metal can wear like pictured, and specially once it got really hot and mailable, which it would if it was starved of oil.
That is in fact true, but is not the common cause of the failure that looks like this. (what appears to be an dimensionally correct cam lobe with chunks missing) Again, when a cam lobe wears through, the missing metal is obvious and often circumferential. Maybe we need more detailed pictures of the lobe.

This is very likely to be one of two things:

1) Insufficient hardening
2) Oil related problem.

In my experienced opinion, it is the latter. One big clue is the sludge.

An example of a lobe with circumferential wear. Once this progresses, it can develop into the "chunks missing" phase, that's for sure! The wear pattern is clear.

camshaft-wear-v0-xc7urjjgudy91.png

Last edited:
What do guys think caused this? 2010 Accord at 250k miles. Just one lobe is pitted. I was hearing a tick, so I pulled the valve cover to adjust the valves.....
My 2002 EP3 Civic had the well-made cams known for doing that on Civic Internet forums. Happened around 60k for me. Same thing...ticking, was going to check the valves and...lobes grooved. New cam and no issues for another 100k before I traded it in.

Edit: out of spite my next car was a Corolla instead of a Civic.

cylinder #2 looks much cleaner than the other three. Do you have a head gasket leak? :unsure:

That's not the one that's pitted.
I was trying to clean up the varnish the past year and #2 is where the oil filler cap is.... that's where the Kreen was poured in....

Maybe it got better cleaning because of that? IDK?

Last edited:
I'm replacing the cam and rocker assembly
Is yours a timing chain or belt (didn't look back at the pic to see if I could tell). If chain, I stuck a bungee cord into the chain at the TDC mark and hung it from the hood to keep tension in it and mark the location of TDC. There are probably better ways, but it worked for me after some thinking. No guarantees it'll work every time. I may have just gotten lucky...

Lack of maintenance. Most likely engine seldom had an oil change
Plenty of oil changes. Good oil.

Master Honda Tech is going to replace the cam and rocker when it comes in.

I showed him pics of the varnish and he says that's totally normal for the engine at 250k miles.... He's not surprised at all.

I think it’s the fact you pored keen in that’s made it look like you have oil flow issues in some of the pictures that’s thrown some of us off a bit.

I’m going to admit I’m used to high mileage diesels rather than petrol‘s so I don’t usually have to deal with varnish like that.

What’s your oil usage like? Usually the biggest worry with varnish is what’s going on in areas you cannot see if it’s like that where you can see.

I showed him pics of the varnish and he says that's totally normal for the engine at 250k miles.... He's not surprised at all.
The experiences of a dealer technician that regularly sees cars owned by individuals that don't maintain them themselves, and follow Honda's OLM.

Personally I've found things can be so much better with a 5k OCI and some mechanical sympathy.

A quick Google search shows that people have posted about spalling of the exhaust cam lobe(s). Typically, it's found on just 1 or 2 lobes and always just on the exhaust cam -- as is seen on my engine. About 80k miles ago, the timing chain and everything that touches it was replaced, including the VTC Actuator and VTC Solenoid. No visible problem with the cam was seen at that time.

I always run 30 or even 0w40 in this car. I have always ran high grade oil -- Mobil 1 or Renewable Lubricants. After the timing chain change, I dropped my OCI from 9k miles back down to 5k.

I'm a little disappointed in finding this.

You think I should just run the car as is until it starts to run poorly? It runs great still, but there is a tapping noise coming from this problem. I'm not sure I want to spend $1000+ fixing this issue on a 13 year old car with 250k miles on it that has slight front end damage from a deer collision.....
If you don't fix it now the cam will only get worse and very quickly. I'd say less than 2000 mes or so. Plus you don't want all that metal circulating around. The filter won't catch it all.

As for the dirty top end. I have seen much worse but sludge doesn't seem to hurt cams. If seem major sludge disasters and the cams looked fine.

I was not going to mention the varnish, but at this point feel I must. That engine was not a M1 regular user. Even at 10K OCI's, M1 will leave a nearly spotless cylinder head. Absolutely spotless. That is specifically what it is designed to do.

My Jag X-Type has 225K and is spotless. Ford F150, 200K, spotless, Ford F150, 355K, spotless with a little yellow tint.

This is what an 200,000 mile, M1 engine looks like:

G6An7Ll.jpg
I'll tell you this, it wasn't UNTIL I used Mobil 1 in my Accord that it developed varnish. Take that for what it's worth.

I'll tell you this, it wasn't UNTIL I used Mobil 1 in my Accord that it developed varnish. Take that for what it's worth.
I'm sure the varnish and sludge is from following the OLM. I figured it was safe to do because I was running 95% high way miles for long distances. 9-11k mile OCI's were common for 170k miles. Since then, I've dialed it back to 5K mile OCI's and have been running Renewable Lubricants 5w30 and 0w30 oil.

I know Cujet loves M1. I'm just showing you what I see, what I've come across.

Back