2008 f250 oil recommendations

I just purchased my inlaws house, and included in the sale was a 2008 f250 with a 5.4 in it. They heat the house with wood, and this was there haul vehicle for firewood.

Originally it was owned by the DOT, then was purchased by the inlaws. Currently has just shy of 200,000 miles on it. Seems to be in pretty good shape, runs well, but it's led a hard life. I plan on continuing to use it to haul wood, will not be used for much else, and am trying to maintain it as well as I can. It will be operated in Northern Ohio, both in summer and winter.

Ford calls for 5w-20. Did a search on this forum and found recommendations all the way from 0w-20 to 40 weights and even hdeo's. Looking for suggestions on what would be the best weight for this use.

Our two 5.4s get Schaeffer 5w40 HDEO or 5w30 depending on what I have when they're due. Before that it was a mix of Motorcraft 5w30 and bulk lube shop oil for one truck and the previous owner of the other one owned a small engine shop and used whatever was laying around. Found several empty bottles of Briggs and Stratton 30wt behind the seat so I assume that is what was used. No problems on either truck but I don't recommend straight 30wt in one of these.

2valve or 3valve 5.4L.

The 3V 5.4L has a few known issues. The backing plate on the oil pump tends to leak and the cam chain tensioners tend to leak. This prevents oil from reaching the cam phasers and heads in some conditions. Especially low speed operation when hot. On the 3V, the phasers can sometimes be heard to knock loudly when driving at 10mph, with windows down, adjacent to a wall to reflect the sound.

If you have a 3V, a synthetic 10W-40 will provide adequate oil flow to the phasers and cylinder heads, especially in summertime. 10W-30 in winter.

With sufficient viscosity and 5000 mile oil changes, these engines will go many hundreds of thousands of miles.

Back