2007 Honda Fit - Valvoline MaxLife FS 0w20 - 9,000 miles + HPL Engine Cleaner (1.6k)

Got a new report on the Fit.

The Previous report:

This time, I ran a little longer after adding the HPL Engine Cleaner for the final 1600 miles. I’m waiting to share what the oil filter looks like cut open, per 53’ Stude! I will link that thread here later.

This is my first time using a lab other than BS. I added 1 Qt of makeup oil at about 4k before adding the HPL EC at roughly 7.4k.

Consumption during OCI has recently increased, PCV Valve is going to be inspected soon.

Regarding the Si readings, I had to work on the air filter box due to a vacuum hose leak and inside the box, under the filter there was a lot of dust! It has a washable AFE Pro Dry S. So, I may go back and do some cleaning to remove the excess dust from the filter box and shake loose whatever the filter is holding. There has been a lot of construction and dry air recently is the only thing I can suspect for there being so much present inside the sealed box for the filter. I’ve been happy with the Pro Dry S, but Si doesn’t seem to be effecting wear metals much.

I should also note that the entire OCI, and some of the previous interval, I drove it with cylinder 1 spark plug loosened enough to allow blow by and a loss of power. Did not find the issue until doing the oil change this past weekend when tracking down an abnormal engine noise.

Hope this image is clear enough!

Attachments

• FA15B59E-ED45-416A-A0CE-96EE4F0D063D.jpeg
    FA15B59E-ED45-416A-A0CE-96EE4F0D063D.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Report looks pretty good. For a Fit with nearly 300k miles, I would consider bumping up to a 5w-30 to help with consumption if that is your only issue. Piston rings and valve stem seals might be getting tired

Got a new report on the Fit.

The Previous report:

This time, I ran a little longer after adding the HPL Engine Cleaner for the final 1600 miles. I’m waiting to share what the oil filter looks like cut open, per 53’ Stude! I will link that thread here later.

This is my first time using a lab other than BS. I added 1 Qt of makeup oil at about 4k before adding the HPL EC at roughly 7.4k.

Consumption during OCI has recently increased, PCV Valve is going to be inspected soon.

Regarding the Si readings, I had to work on the air filter box due to a vacuum hose leak and inside the box, under the filter there was a lot of dust! It has a washable AFE Pro Dry S. So, I may go back and do some cleaning to remove the excess dust from the filter box and shake loose whatever the filter is holding. There has been a lot of construction and dry air recently is the only thing I can suspect for there being so much present inside the sealed box for the filter. I’ve been happy with the Pro Dry S, but Si doesn’t seem to be effecting wear metals much.

I should also note that the entire OCI, and some of the previous interval, I drove it with cylinder 1 spark plug loosened enough to allow blow by and a loss of power. Did not find the issue until doing the oil change this past weekend when tracking down an abnormal engine noise.

Hope this image is clear enough!
I’d say pretty good report. I’ll cut the filter open soon. Thank You for sending it and other filter to me

Report looks pretty good. For a Fit with nearly 300k miles, I would consider bumping up to a 5w-30 to help with consumption if that is your only issue. Piston rings and valve stem seals might be getting tired
I’d like to avoid changing grades, but I suppose it isn’t the worst idea.

One of the purposes of trying the HPL Engine Cleaner was to see if it could help the oil control rings if they were sticking. To be fair, the best use for that would’ve probably been a 2k mile OCI with unused fluid and then changing the oil.

The engine does seem to have a slowly leaking rear main engine seal, nothing on the ground, but residue around the oil pan coming from between the trans/block; which is why I want to rule out a PCV Valve being stuck closed or open. It’s hard to hear it it’s working with the usual pinch hose method so gonna just remove it and see.

Last edited:
@ltslimjim — if the block is indeed carbon’d up, a simple cleaner (even one of high quality) isn’t gonna do much. You’ll need heavy doses in both the oil and fuel to try to clean stuff up… possibly. But even then it will take many many thousands of miles of heavy dosing to do anything.

I’d try a thicker oil for an OCI just to see what happens with consumption. It may just be “the new normal” for your Fit moving forward into 300k territory.

@Artem the valve train was so squeaky clean…it’s probably as you said with it being just worn control rings. Still, I’d like to replace PCV Valve to rule that out as a contributing factor. There seems to be a slow rear main seal leak for several years now. It’s possibly the PCV Valve could be sticking and causing negative crankcase pressure and thereby creating a leaky seal.

Here is the oil filter C&P. Though the media wasn’t stretched out, the dome end looked pretty clean.

Back