OIL ADDED none
FILTER PureOne
OIL CHANGED yes
WO NUMBER
Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe) 12
Chromium (Cr) Lead (Pb) Copper (Cu) 1
Tin (Sn) Aluminium (Al) 11
Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti) Vanadium (V) Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si) 21
Sodium (Na) 15
Potassium (K) Coolant No
Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg) 23
Calcium (Ca) 2530
Barium (Ba) Phosphorus (P) 760
Zinc (Zn) 870
Molybdenum (Mo) 199
Boron (B) 51
Contaminants
Water (%) Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 7.9
Physical / Chemical
Base Number (mgKOH/g) 2.5

One qt was EP, never oil added.
Air filter was recently changed.
Most trips < 10 miles.
First of 5 WIX kits from Amazon deal.
Spaces and tabs did not work above?

Looks good to me. could do 10k with ease next time. I've ran the MM on in 07 Civic down to -1,900 miles (10k total on the oil)

Interesting, thanks for posting. Looks like 3/4 M1 + 1/4 M1 EP held up very well. There aren't very many R18 UOA reports here, so It's good to see another.

I find it interesting that your car goes to 8k mi on the MM with lots of short trips. I do substantially longer trips on average (the wife's commute is 15 mi one way) and yet my MM is down to 15% after 6,200 miles. My last OCI(winter) was down to 5% at 6,000 miles. Similar climates too.

I'll have a UOA with the API SM Idemitsu 0w20 (Subaru) soon. We'll see how that holds up in an R18.

The OCI via MM I would say averages 7500. I wonder if the duration was revised on the new model.

Only time will tell. From what I've seen, it looks to be the same, even though the 2012 Civics require 0w20 which is synthetic.

I would think you could safely extend the OCI easily.

If you're not going to do that, then consider less-expensive lubes.

Si is high for the miles, and so is aluminum, so you are getting some excessive piston wear.

Check your air filter and ducting for leaks, and maybe move down to a conv. 5W-20 and go 5k to see if it settles.

I checked my gas record and this OCI did have a long trip with big highway days, total trip was ~2.5k. Explain the longer MM interval.

I also ran a Gumout TFS cleaner (PEA) prior to this change. Does this add any particular contaminants?

A 2.5k mi trip will extend the OCI, that makes sense.

I missed the Al and Si when I glanced at the report the first time. The one OCI I've done on my 2011 so far showed the same thing, but I put it down to RTV washing out of a new engine and break-in wear. I did check the air cleaner and some of the intake plumbing, but didn't find any obvious places for a leak. My UOA is HERE.

The airbox in these cars is a bit fiddly to install properly, and the intake plumbing is buried behind the engine and below the cowl. I presume that any leak after the MAF sensor would throw a CE light, so I didn't bother to check the downstream plumbing. I hope there's not some sort of design flaw or common installation problem with the airbox on these cars which allows unfiltered air in. We'll see how my next UOA comes back, look for it in 3-4 weeks.

The PEA theory is interesting. Some fuel system cleaners recommend performing an oil change immediately after burning a "shock treatment" tank which has been dosed with a full bottle. I use a maintenance dose of 2 oz Redline SI-1 in every 10-12 gal fill. Redline themselves say it's safe to do so. PEA wouldn't explain the Si, and if dilution and/or cylinder wall washing from the PEA were to blame, one would expect elevated Fe as well. I don't think the PEA itself shows up in UOA, I've done a UOA just after a shock treatment several times in the past and the reports always came back normal. Cleaning the intake with a solvent like the old GM Top Engine Cleaner is another story.

I am curious what GM TEC would do to the UOA.

I had searched other Civic UOA's and the Si and Al levels appear somewhat higher than normal. It may be due to dusty conditions from road construction during the OCI where pavement was removed. I assumed the filters could handle it.

The question is, what air filter do you have? The el cheapo Purolator Classic would filter worse then a WIX, for example, which is what i have in my 07 Civic EX and my Si is normal.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: gpshumway
Interesting, thanks for posting. Looks like 3/4 M1 + 1/4 M1 EP held up very well. There aren't very many R18 UOA reports here, so It's good to see another.

I find it interesting that your car goes to 8k mi on the MM with lots of short trips. I do substantially longer trips on average (the wife's commute is 15 mi one way) and yet my MM is down to 15% after 6,200 miles. My last OCI(winter) was down to 5% at 6,000 miles. Similar climates too.

I'll have a UOA with the API SM Idemitsu 0w20 (Subaru) soon. We'll see how that holds up in an R18.

I have the exact same experience. 6-6500K miles for MM to notifiy me its time for a change. 2011 Civic R18 as well. I wonder if they changed the programming for it at some point between 2006 and 2011, even though the car did not really change at all.

Originally Posted By: Artem
The question is, what air filter do you have? The el cheapo Purolator Classic would filter worse then a WIX, for example, which is what i have in my 07 Civic EX and my Si is normal.
thumbsup2.gif

This OCI had a Honda filter up to the last 700 miles, though I replaced it with the Purolator so I will see on my next UOA.

BTW your Si has been higher at times.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2647801

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: gpshumway

I have the exact same experience. 6-6500K miles for MM to notifiy me its time for a change. 2011 Civic R18 as well. I wonder if they changed the programming for it at some point between 2006 and 2011, even though the car did not really change at all.

If the 6500 is with 15% left, this would work out to 7500 at 0, which has been my target.

Although the aluminum appears higher when compared to UOA's of similar engines, what makes your sample different from them is makeup oil. None. Your sample is not diluted at all, where the others were by as many as 2 quarts. A second UOA will show any trending or mistakes with the sample.

Also, your using a stock air intake?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Although the aluminum appears higher when compared to UOA's of similar engines, what makes your sample different from them is makeup oil. None. Your sample is not diluted at all, where the others were by as many as 2 quarts. A second UOA will show any trending or mistakes with the sample.

Also, your using a stock air intake?

yes stock intake.

Well, you've got justification for a second UOA. See if that aluminum number goes up or down. Use the same OCI, filter, oil, etc. Don't change any variables that could skew results.

Originally Posted By: mr_diy
I am curious what GM TEC would do to the UOA.

I had searched other Civic UOA's and the Si and Al levels appear somewhat higher than normal. It may be due to dusty conditions from road construction during the OCI where pavement was removed. I assumed the filters could handle it.

The UOA at 125,000 mi in my Mercury Mystique V6 was done just after a TEC treatment. Elevated Iron was about the only consequence. I expected reduced flashpoint and thin oil, but that didn't happen.

Scroll down in the link below.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...456#Post2206456

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back