2005 Honda Accord Owners Outside the U.S.- Oil Spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we know, the 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L owners' manual for the U.S. specs 5W-20, with no mention of other acceptable grades/viscosities. I am curious about the spec for this very same engine in 2005 Accords sold in foreign countries.

Please respond if you have solid documentation in this regard. Thanks much.
cheers.gif

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009284

15w-40, 10w-30, 5w-30. (Vtec oil comes in a 15w-40)

If you scroll down in the thread above, Castrol's website/lube reference calls for a 10w-40/30 and 5w-30 for the 2.4L Vtec engine. Highest I will go in this engine (I have one) is a 30wt. As the car gets older, I'd then move up to a 40wt if oil consumption becomes a problem.

Remember something though, technology has allowed 20wt oils to be every bit as good as regular old 40wt oils. And if your using a synthetic 20wt oil, your even better off. Clearly thin oils are for CAFE, but they sometimes offer less friction and can help your engine run cooler too. More HP many times as well.

I know that it doesn't matter much with regards to the engine but other markets have different versions of the Accord. For example, the Accord sold in Europe appears to be what we sell here as a Acura TSX. The North American Accord isn't sold any other place except North America.

They still use the same 2.4L engine though, AFAIK.

I asked a guy about oil recs. for his '04 Accord, although his has the 2.0L 155hp engine. IIRC, he said the manual allowed anything from 0w-20 to 10w-60, depending on ambient temps.

Thanks for the info, guys. I plan to stay with 5W-20 for the warranty period, either dino for 5,000 mi OCI or syn for 10,000 mi. OCI. Leaning toward the syn. Then will probably go 5W-30 after warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back