2004 Toyota Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Monday I traded my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 in for a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. We needed more cargo room for, of all things, the dog. Using my lifted 1989 4Runner wasn't working because he wouldn't jump in and my wife couldn't lift him in, I could do it IF he was willing. He's a 140+ lb rottweiler so he can be the boss when he wants.

In any case, The Sequoia has about 74,500 miles on the 4.7 V8 and appears to be in nearly perfect condition. I had it inspected and the mechanic said that both the transmission and engine appeared to be well maintained. He specifically said that when he looked into the block through the oil fill hole it looked brand new.

My wife will be starting a job in July where her commute will be about 30 miles each way to work and very little of it will be stop and go in town driving.

I'm planning to run either Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30 or 10w-30 with Mobil 1 filters. I'm thinking that 7,500 mile OCIs should be conservative yet cut out every other change compared to a 5,000 mile OCI.

Any thoughts?

The Toyota 4.7 is VERY easy on oil. It will easily do 10-12k OCI's on any synthetic you can get at a good price. PP is a great choice.

If the engine appears 'spotless', it is probably pretty clean and tight, and there is no real reason to use Maxlife in it. Don't get me wrong, its a great oil, its just that PP will get you longer OCI's, and maybe help you squeak out a bit more mileage.

PP is a full synthetic, VM is available as conventional and synthetic. Which one did you plan on using when referring to the VM?.

If I'm not mistaking Toyota does 5k or 6months OCI's, thats a reasonable life expectancy for all oils synthetic or dino.

When it comes to the viscosity- either is fine for warmer months, winter months 5w-30 would flow easier on cold starts.

I'm assuming you meant he looked into the head, not the block of the engine. But a clean valve train is a good sign
thumbsup2.gif
Sounds like you got a good van on your hands. Pennzoil Platinum would be a great choice for that van, and change it every 5,000-7,500 miles depending on your service.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I'm assuming you meant he looked into the head, not the block of the engine. But a clean valve train is a good sign
thumbsup2.gif
Sounds like you got a good van on your hands. Pennzoil Platinum would be a great choice for that van, and change it every 5,000-7,500 miles depending on your service.

+1

Originally Posted By: turboaccord1
If I'm not mistaken the Toyota Sequoia is a large SUV, not a van.
thumbsup2.gif

oops, I was thinking of the Sienna. My bad!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
The Toyota 4.7 is VERY easy on oil. It will easily do 10-12k OCI's on any synthetic you can get at a good price. PP is a great choice.

If the engine appears 'spotless', it is probably pretty clean and tight, and there is no real reason to use Maxlife in it. Don't get me wrong, its a great oil, its just that PP will get you longer OCI's, and maybe help you squeak out a bit more mileage.

I agree. Between the 2 choices you've given i'd definately go with the PP 5w30 if it were my rig. My brother's 07 sequoia is running ASL 5w30, with excellent results. Of course it's nice if you got a motor that's easy on oil, and the 4.7 is.

At 75k miles, it's probably due for all fluids to be replaced if it hasn't been done already. The trans should be the highest on your list IMO, after the engine oil of course. Don't forget you'll have the dreaded timing belt to do in about 15k.
How's the diffs looking?

I purchased an 04 Sequoia Limited about a month ago. 66k. I just did the first oil change, and gave it Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30. 6.6 quarts in the crankcase with a carquest (wix) filter. Congrats on your purchase, I love mine. Strong, powerful, smooth and refined.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
At 75k miles, it's probably due for all fluids to be replaced if it hasn't been done already. The trans should be the highest on your list IMO, after the engine oil of course. Don't forget you'll have the dreaded timing belt to do in about 15k.
How's the diffs looking?

The dealer changed the engine oil and it appears did the transmission as well, at least the mechanic that did the inspection said it was in perfect shape. During the inspection I got a quote for the timing belt (under a grand) so I'm prepared for that. The mechanic that will be doing the work used to be a Toyota tech and is now just a Toyota guy. He's very picky about the parts he installs, I'm anticipating that he'll insist on Toyoto OEM since he has in the past. I'll probably change the differential oil fairly soon since it's cheap and easy.

The main reason for considering Maxlife is that is what I'm running in my 89 4Runner so it would make life simple. They use the same filter so I can use the same Mobil 1 M-209 (oversize) on both. I have a stash of PP 10w-30 that was slated for the Mazdaspeed that I'll probably use and then go back to 5w-30, but I might just do a quick swap at Wally World.

Originally Posted By: HARTZSKY
I purchased an 04 Sequoia Limited about a month ago. 66k. I just did the first oil change, and gave it Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30. 6.6 quarts in the crankcase with a carquest (wix) filter. Congrats on your purchase, I love mine. Strong, powerful, smooth and refined.

Very similar vehicle to the Expedition, and I know I love mine.

Similar sump capacity and power output as well.

What is on it for tires?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

What is on it for tires?

Mine has brand new OEM Dunlops that the dealer put on. I'll be replacing them with Goodyear Triple Treads when they wear out, probably around 35,000 miles based on my Tundra's run on the OEM tires.

Originally Posted By: blackdiamond

What is on it for tires?

Mine has brand new OEM Dunlops that the dealer put on. I'll be replacing them with Goodyear Triple Treads when they wear out, probably around 35,000 miles based on my Tundra's run on the OEM tires.

Ahhhh. I've got Goodyear Wranger's on the Expy. They are good in snow and mud, but highway ride isn't fantastic (noisy) so they are being replaced by Michelin LTX's. How do you find the Dunlops?

I had worn out Dunlops on mine when I bought it. After researching tires, I put Continental CrossContact SUV tires on it, came too around $850 installed. TireRack rated these tires very good plus I got a $75 rebate as well. Alot of tire companys are offering many incentives right now.

You can't go wrong with the Goodyear Triple Treads if you get ran or snow. They ride nice and have excellent traction. I'd run them on anything that they would fit on.

Originally Posted By: blackdiamond
You can't go wrong with the Goodyear Triple Treads if you get ran or snow. They ride nice and have excellent traction. I'd run them on anything that they would fit on.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Check the maintenance requirements in your owner's manual. If it is the same as my 2001 Tundra, the timing belt is due at 90,000 miles, and it IS an interference engine...if the timing belt breaks, the pistons and valves collide. I think a valve adjustment is also due at 90k, along with the usual 30k maintenance...plugs (plain copper NGK or Denso are great), air filter, oil & filter, check the coolant, etc.

Does the 2004 have a transmission that uses Toyota's WS ATF? If 4wd, there are eight grease points on the two driveshafts, if it is the same as my Tundra. Few grease monkeys can find all eight, and the front shaft two are tough to get at.

Are these the ones you are buying?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...inSpeedRating=S

These are the ones I'm getting:

These are the ones I have currently:

Those are the tires I prefer. If your getting the LTX Mud Terrain for highway traction (snow/rain) you'll do better with the Triple Treads. The only downside to the triple tread is the dirt traction. I didn't use my Tundra on the dirt very often so I didn't care if I lost some of that capability. They rode more firm than OEM, but I liked the change. I would expect the LTX to be closer to minivan tire ride.

I have an 06 Sequoia we have 64K on it I run Mobil 5000 in it with the Toyota filter. I change it every 3000 or 3 months. As far as the trans it has no dipstick to check the fluid. I have to admit I did not know it had a timing belt I thought it had a chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back