2004 4.8 Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
friend of mine just bought a 1500 Chevy from a used car lot, 171k miles, excellent shape and runs great, no leaks, not sure what kind of oil the previous owner ran. We were discussing oils and he was considering PP 10W30, due to the low noack, but its on the thin side for a 30, or Mobil 1 TDT 5W40, meets SN specs, which I've heard these Vortecs like 40 wt oils. either oil would be run the full duration of the OLM for as long as he owns it. Which would be better or will either suffice? A Napa Gold 1522 filter will be used.

I'm pretty sure they are like the SBC and they can take pretty much anything. In warm climates I would be going as thick as possible.

There are plenty of those engines getting abused everyday with the incorrect grade in the sump.

I had the same truck except it was a 05. It got PYB and followed the OLM with Supertech Ecore filter. It can take anything with modern specs as long as you keep it topped off.

I think it is a good engine. No cylinder deactivation which is a good thing for a long life. The curse of the 4.8 is it always got saddled with the 4sp trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back