1999 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC oil switch....0w40 Euro oil

Hi everyone,
I own a 1999 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC V6 with 212,000 miles on the original engine. The Explorer has been in the family since new and it has always run 5w30, usually changed every 3,000 miles since new. As is the case with most of the SOHC engines it has the chain rattle upon startup.
I was in Costco recently and they had Mobil 1 on sale. I saw the Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 was part of sale so I picked up a box to use in the Explorer. I remember reading about the 0w40 here and I figured I would give it a shot in the old Explorer.
The 0w40 is currently in the truck and it has about 500 miles on it so far. So far I have noticed that the chain rattle has be toned down just a bit. I also took it on a 100 mile highway trip yesterday, and my MPG's were holding strong at 21 MPG as opposed to the 18-19 that I usually see. It seems to defy logic that a heavier oil yields better MPG's however.

Has anyone else noted positive changes when switching to 0w40? Is the 0w40 oil a good choice to use in all future oil changes going forward?

Thank you

Hi everyone,
I own a 1999 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC V6 with 212,000 miles on the original engine. The Explorer has been in the family since new and it has always run 5w30, usually changed every 3,000 miles since new. As is the case with most of the SOHC engines it has the chain rattle upon startup.
I was in Costco recently and they had Mobil 1 on sale. I saw the Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 was part of sale so I picked up a box to use in the Explorer. I remember reading about the 0w40 here and I figured I would give it a shot in the old Explorer.
The 0w40 is currently in the truck and it has about 500 miles on it so far. So far I have noticed that the chain rattle has be toned down just a bit. I also took it on a 100 mile highway trip yesterday, and my MPG's were holding strong at 21 MPG as opposed to the 18-19 that I usually see. It seems to defy logic that a heavier oil yields better MPG's however.

Has anyone else noted positive changes when switching to 0w40? Is the 0w40 oil a good choice to use in all future oil changes going forward?

Thank you
Mobil 1 0w40 is good stuff. Stay with it until something fails on the Explorer that won't justify keeping it, but chances are it won't be oil related. I have yet to find an engine (vehicles/machinery/etc.) that has issues running on M1 0w40. Only on one occasion I had a vehicle that had low oil pressure issues after long highway rides on M1 0W40, but going to Castrol 0W40 fixed that. I believe that was more of an engine issue rather than an oil issue. That was one worn out Toyota T100 with 480k miles (shop truck).

I have a 1998 Ford Exploder Sport with the 4.0L SOHC and I have been using Mobil 1 0w40 FS for over the past year, works great even in winter. Vehicle and engine have over 295,000 miles.

Back