1994 Land Rover Disco 1 motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
And we are not talking about thicker 0w in cold...

But about to thin 0w at startup in the summer...for 3 pages now
wink.gif

Yes, and you don't get the correlation between temperature and viscosity in a multigrade oil. How is the 0W-40 too thin at high temps? It has then the viscosity of a 40 oil.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Kamele0N said:
I wasn't asking about Slovenian suppliers to international manufacturers. Do you guys even build your own mofas, or do you have to steal Vespas?

hotwheels

Actually we are building our own mofas...i see them alot on youtube by usa youtubers...

Its Tomos... www.tomos.si :p

But we import old gasoline guzlers with V8 flathead engines from your continen...like they do on Cuba....and we drove them for 335.000 miles and more
smile.gif

Right!!!
Please explain why M1 0W-40 carries certs for VAG, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes and any other Euro brand you'd care to name.
We have those cars in the US too.
This too-thin oil is apparently thick enough for every mainstream EU performance car maker.
Also, the bore polishing you mention is a diesel engine thing having little to do with gassers, just to mention one of your misinformed points.
Anyway, the engine in question is an old American GM design, which you apparently didn't know.

Originally Posted By: Petrou
Hey guys,

Just looking for a little help out on this. Just got my 94 disco back together. replaced the engine in it.

now I just got this truck with a blown up engine so I have yet to drive it. I filled the engine with Castrol gtx 10-40 just to get the truck running, filled up with standard green coolant.

now the engine has 137k on it, what oil would you guys recommend. My climate has a tendancy to go from 100 in the summer to -30 in the winter. also any recommendation for the 3.9 liter engine coolant. its an all aluminum engine

any help would be great

thanks guys

I would like to apologize for your thread having been derailed. I'd likely run Rotella-T 5W-40 in this engine, but I'd also consider a block heater.

hotwheels

Look here in EU we are not using 0w viscosity that much....

Maybe some % of "top performance" cars like porsche....Audi RS6 etc

for cars that we are using daily 5w is enough....

Actually 5w is required because almost every new car nowadays is turbo/compressor fitted (diesel or gasoline) and therefore synthetic oil is needed

For natural aspirated engines hydrocracked 10w40 is "over the top" for normal daily use

5w30 viscosity is popular because major oil for DPF filters came in that viscosity

for everything else we use xxW40 oils

thats in general...

Its 1:18 AM here...and I am working TODAY
smile.gif

Haha well this is the first to me one of my posts had this kind of effect haha.

Thanks for the replies guys, ya north Dakota gets some crazy climates from for sure. Im not too concerned about cold or heat just looking for a good oil and coolant combo to feed the old girl especially with and all aluminum engine I was thinking like a 540 but wasn't sure if anyone had any other recomendations .

Originally Posted By: Petrou
Haha well this is the first to me one of my posts had this kind of effect haha.

Thanks for the replies guys

You are welcome
smile.gif

Its just funny to read this forum
smile.gif
Users are discovering new oils on daily basis playing home lab technicians
smile.gif

Everyone wants to know wich oil to use....althow they already know that they will use 0W30 or 0W20...

Well whatever you will do....dont over exaggerate....its just 90`s car.....no need for special (snake) oils
wink.gif

33.gif
15.gif
45.gif

I'm sure starting to get concerned for all of those poor poor high performance sportscars, running that super-thin 0-40 they spec during summer months. Hard driving + thin oil + summer? They're just not going to make it!

I'm not sure how any of that matters??

Look here in EU we are not using 0w viscosity that much....

Maybe some % of "top performance" cars like porsche....Audi RS6 etc

for cars that we are using daily 5w is enough....

Actually 5w is required because almost every new car nowadays is turbo/compressor fitted (diesel or gasoline) and therefore synthetic oil is needed

What I wanted to tell here was that 5w40....10w40 (5w30) is everything you need for 90`s car....

Everything else is.......

....waste of resources....money....ect ect
wink.gif

Is he living in Artctic circle?

No...The Arctic Circle is living in North Dakota right now.

Use Mobil 1 0w40.

Last edited:
What I wanted to tell here was that 5w40....10w40 (5w30) is everything you need for 90`s car....

Everything else is.......

....waste of resources....money....ect ect
wink.gif

I agree that using 5W40 is fine. However, 0W40 is about as cheap as 5W40 in the US. At operating temperature a 0W40 is the same viscosity as 5W40 but with 0W40 you get easier cold starts. That is not me playing lab scientist, that is a fact they state on the oil specification sheets.

Your reasons for being against 0W40 are not logical - because old cars in Europe don't use it. Does the Land Rover absolutely need 0W40? No. Can it benefit from 0W40? Possibly. Old engines can benefit from better oil as well. If the OP got his engine rebuilt and he wants to make it last it's a good idea to use good oil now.

Hey guys once again thanks for the info. Its a used engine I put it to n this rig so its already got plenty of miles on it. Yup sure needs to be run for a little bit, its got sole sludge buildup in it so i m thinking a few short oil change intervals in order to get it cleaned up a bit too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back