Motor Oil Weight for 2009 Ford F-150

So I just purchased a well used 2009 Ford F-150 XL regular cab with the 5.4L V8 engine and 143,000 miles on the clock. It runs well as far as I can tell, and the oil, coolant and other fluids all look good and are at the correct levels. I noticed that this truck calls for 5W-20 oil and is so labeled on the oil filler cap. Scotty Kilmer has a You Tube video on F-150 trucks of this vintage and engine type and claims that 5W-30 should be used instead. I've heard that 5.4L engines can develop timing chain problems when they get older and have higher mileage on them, and I'm wondering if a higher viscosity oil might help prevent that for a longer time.

What say y'all? What have been your experiences with these trucks? When it comes time for the next oil change on this beast with this mileage, should I put 5W-30 in it or 5W-20? I am not sure whether or not dino or synthetic oil is in it now, but I plan to put in full synthetic oil at the next change (probably Mobil-1 high mileage synthetic).

Just tell us if you live in Alaska or the Sahara Desert. This increases the accuracy of the outcome of any "thick vs thin" argument.

Were it my truck, I'd use 5W-30 of the brand/type you mentioned based on what I've read here over the years.

The closest experience I have with your truck is my pal's '97 with a 4.6l so don't go by what I'd do.

The 2009 5.4L 3V engine does have its share of internal flaws. The use of very thin oil with it's resulting lower oil pressure, is a sure way to have problems. Conversely, the use of a quality synthetic 10W-40 will result in adequate pressure and flow to the heads, cams, phasers and roller followers.

1) The cam chain tensioners leak, reducing oil flow to the heads, eventually to the point where one head gets little to no oil.
2) The cam phasers are sensitive to both viscosity and pressure, along with dirty oil.
3) The oil pumps leak from the backing plate

Of note, a very large local dealership got tired of the warranty repairs and switched to 10W-40, which reduced the 5.4's warranty claims to zero.

I'm almost at 200K with my 2009 5.4L 3V, I now use M1, 10W-40 HM. But for the first part of its life, I used M1, 10W-30. 5000 mile OCI's. I have no cam phaser problems, no chain problems, no rattles, and no debris in the oil filters.

Use a Motorcraft filter.

Last edited:
This vehicle is located in north Alabama, so it will see a fair amount of hot weather in the summer but fairly mild winters (and, thankfully, very little to no salt used on the roads!) for the most part, though it can get quite cold here from time to time.

I would use the 5w-20 as recommended. Many have achieved hundreds of thousands of miles with their Fords using the recommended 5w-20 weight oil. I am not aware of a Ford TSB stating an update for recommended oil weight for your engine.

I've been using 5W-30 in my '12 the whole time. First it was Motorcraft blend and now Pennzoil Platinum.

I run 0/5w40 in my 04 Expedition 5.4l 2v, PP 0w40 in it currently. Oil was changed every 3k by PO at the dealer and it is clean inside. I have run 5w30 but would not go less esp if you plan to tow w it. I tow my camper with it ours.

I ran motorcraft semi syn 5w20 for the first 150k in my 09 5.4 3v. Then switched to various full synthetic 5w30s. Currently at 196k, full timing job done at 186k. Medium varnish under the driver's side valve cover, passenger side was very minor.

Great info here. I'm surprised that some of you are using 40 viscosity oil in your trucks; I did not expect that. Sounds like it isn't harmful, though. I'm curious what your gas mileage is with 0W-40 or 10W-40 and how that compares to using 30 viscosity. I would like to not hurt my gas mileage too much, so I think I'll go with 5W-30 full synthetic on the next change and stick with that for a while.

Great info here. I'm surprised that some of you are using 40 viscosity oil in your trucks; I did not expect that. Sounds like it isn't harmful, though. I'm curious what your gas mileage is with 0W-40 or 10W-40 and how that compares to using 30 viscosity. I would like to not hurt my gas mileage too much, so I think I'll go with 5W-30 full synthetic on the next change and stick with that for a while.
Absolutely no difference in MPG.

The thing that people misunderstand is that the difference between a 30 and 40 viscosity oil at operating temps is relatively small. The idea that it's "thick" when at temp is utterly incorrect. In this case, it is simply viscous enough to make it to the cylinder head, despite the various leaks. And to protect the timing chain from excess wear. (thin oils result in fast chain wear)

Also of note, Ford did improve component quality every year. The later the 5.4's the better. 2009 had many of the improvement, but not all.

The use of sufficient viscosity and 5000 mile OCI's will prevent a "timing chain/phaser" job from being required.

Remember, the difference between a 20 and 40 at 100c (operating temp) is about the same as a 5 degree difference in oil temp of any specific oil, when the engine is halfway warmed up.

aSZ9QeGTRj

0mpg difference. Look up Schaeffer million mile 5.4l in an E150 on YT, it ran on 10w40 or 15w40 for the entire life, (maybe 5w40 can't remember exactly which Xw40 now). These motors go just fine on a Xw40, Ford just tried to squeak extra mpg's out of them w the 20.

Thanks for the viscosity plot and the Schaeffer video suggestion. The link to the Schaeffer video is below to make it easier to find. Looking at the plot, there is not a whole lot of difference between 5W-30 and 5W-20 when it comes to viscosity. Of course, there are a lot of other things to consider in a motor oil, such as shear stability, detergent and other additive packages, etc. It's amazing that even a 5.4L engine could make it to a million miles; that is indeed very impressive. It makes the 143K miles on ours look like nothing in comparison. I'm sure that Schaeffer oil was not used in it, though, so I'd expect it has a lot more wear than the million mile Schaeffer engine.

BTW, the video below is not intended as a personal endorsement of Schaeffer oil. I've never used any of their products up to now, but this testimonial certainly makes me want to consider them, LOL!

Thanks for the viscosity plot and the Schaeffer video suggestion. The link to the Schaeffer video is below to make it easier to find. Looking at the plot, there is not a whole lot of difference between 5W-30 and 5W-20 when it comes to viscosity.

Thanks Mr. Schaeffer. :)

I have 5W30 in my 3.7 F150 right now, but Ill go with Cujets advice from here on out. M1 10W30 or 10W40 every 5-6k. When using 10W30, was it the regular, HM, or EP? Cujet always has solid advice regarding oil choices for vehicles and air cooled equipment, and we both live in a very hot environment.

So I just purchased a well used 2009 Ford F-150 XL regular cab with the 5.4L V8 engine and 143,000 miles on the clock. It runs well as far as I can tell, and the oil, coolant and other fluids all look good and are at the correct levels. I noticed that this truck calls for 5W-20 oil and is so labeled on the oil filler cap. Scotty Kilmer has a You Tube video on F-150 trucks of this vintage and engine type and claims that 5W-30 should be used instead. I've heard that 5.4L engines can develop timing chain problems when they get older and have higher mileage on them, and I'm wondering if a higher viscosity oil might help prevent that for a longer time.

What say y'all? What have been your experiences with these trucks? When it comes time for the next oil change on this beast with this mileage, should I put 5W-30 in it or 5W-20? I am not sure whether or not dino or synthetic oil is in it now, but I plan to put in full synthetic oil at the next change (probably Mobil-1 high mileage synthetic).
wolverine86
I'm running 5w-30 Amsoil SS in my 2011 5.4L 3v Ford Expedition with 355k
I would use the 5w-30 without hesitation

Back