1994 Land Rover Disco 1 motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Just looking for a little help out on this. Just got my 94 disco back together. replaced the engine in it.

now I just got this truck with a blown up engine so I have yet to drive it. I filled the engine with Castrol gtx 10-40 just to get the truck running, filled up with standard green coolant.

now the engine has 137k on it, what oil would you guys recommend. My climate has a tendancy to go from 100 in the summer to -30 in the winter. also any recommendation for the 3.9 liter engine coolant. its an all aluminum engine

any help would be great

thanks guys

10w40....5w40 for winter use and that will be it

forget about 0wxx oils...

Coolant for aluminium alloys...G48 i guess...

What did the engine originally call for?

With that temperature range I'd probably go with a 0w-40 either M1 or Castrol. If they wanted to use a conventional oil, then I'd pick a brand of oil and go with their 5w-30 in the winter, and their 10w-40 in the summer.

If the manufacturer recommends a 40 grade oil then M1 0W-40 would get my vote if you are looking to run a synthetic.

Ok than 5w40 will be enough trough all year...

But 0w40 is too thin for summer...100F is 38Celsius am I right?

I would use M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Is he living in Artctic circle?

Scroll up and read his post carefully.

But 0w40 is too thin for summer...

Stick around a little longer and do some reading. You might learn a thing or two.
smile.gif

I know enough about oils...and I will never use 0w grade oil in my engine in the summer.

Less doesnt mean always better
wink.gif

And use of 0w in (too) warm conditions will only result in higher oil consumption due oil degradation and cylinder polishing (again...oil consumption).

Coud be that oil degradation is not such big problem here in the states...because you ve got bigger displacement engines with less HP
...and therfore ther is less (termal) stress on oil.

But here in EU 0w oils are more exception than tumb of the rule...

Ok than 5w40 will be enough trough all year...

But 0w40 is too thin for summer...100F is 38Celsius am I right?

At operating temperature, the 5W-40 and the 0W-40 will have a very similar viscosity and thus will be essentually equally suitable for hot weather driving. The 0W-40 is not too thin. It may require more viscosity modifiers to achieve its viscosity spread, so the 5W-40 may be more desirable for that reason.

At very low temperatures, the 0W-40 has a lower viscosity advantage that makes a positive difference as far as startup wear is concerned.

hotwheels

Quote:

But 0w40 is too thin for summer.

Oil thins as it warms up. It can't be 'too thin' when the engine is cold.

Respectfully, do some reading as others have requested.

You seem to have summed up almost every oil myth in one concise post.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
33.gif

Multigrade oils have only been around since 1953, but they don't yet know of them in Slovenia. That's what I've learned here. That and that my Corrado has a bigger displacement engine here in the US than in the old country.

hotwheels

Yea...funny!

More VIs....more chemistry to achive 0w40 spread is not always better...

Not in 2.0TDI I4 engine with 240HP...for instance

But here in EU 0w oils are more exception than tumb of the rule...

EU spans a lot of climates. I can see how 0w oils would not be necessary in the south of Europe. Even in Slovenia, you guys have fairly mild winters.

I have seen plenty of M1 0w-40 in stores in northern parts of Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back