16% of Dec car sales subprime loans, 30% leases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people get in a situation with financing and it becomes a cycle. Reliable transportation is a NEED, and for many, financing a new vehicle with a warranty makes the most sense. However, those people need to learn that vehicles these days can go much longer if properly cared for. They need to keep them until they are paid for AND, for those who get thousands in tax refunds, they need to pay the loan down.
My Grand Caravan has 180k miles and is paid for. Because we travel , i felt we needed something more reliable. i could only afford one payment, so I sold my 2006 Colorado and was able to pay it off and avoid negative equity from trading. We found a great deal on a 2009 Town and Country. Because we purchased it for $3k below book, we got a good interest rate. I could have purchased another Grand Caravan that was older,but in great shape, for less money. Because it was older and we would have been financing right at book value, the interest was twice as much and the payment would have been higher. We purchased the T&C for a family vehicle and the GC has become my truck. I will continue to drive it till its all used up.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
People amaze me. I bought the truck in my signature line a year ago for $9400, out the door. It is rock solid reliable, good on gas for a F-150 (6 cyl. stick, 2wd) and I just love it! A co-worker at the same time spent $40,000+ on a crew cab Silverado with a $700 a month payment. He thinks I'm crazy, buying a 2wd truck in Michigan. You know though, I haven't had to call a tow truck in over 10 years now. Always kind of thought it was best to put 1/2 down in cash/trade on a new or used vehicle, otherwise you may be getting too deep in debt. Most everyone will disagree with me, but I'm very, very close to being debt free.

You could drive your truck for a decade and you'd be way ahead. That's a cheap vehicle to run, nothing very expensive can go wrong!

I'm a big fan of buying a new pretty base truck for around $20k than driving it until it dies.

the new car buying will saturate the used car market with trade ins. and hopefully bring the price down of used cars

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
the new car buying will saturate the used car market with trade ins. and hopefully bring the price down of used cars

I'm already starting to see some decent deals on 3-4 year old cars. The prices will come down once people that bought/leased in 2010-11 time frame start trading in, as that's when car sales started to pick up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn

Not quite the same as buying the car twice.... $30,000 loan at 4% for 8 years is ~$35K worth of payments.

I have never bought a new car but this looks more like $40k than $35k.

It amazes me to see vehicles worth more than the house they are parked in.

Originally Posted By: Azeem

Not quite the same as buying the car twice.... $30,000 loan at 4% for 8 years is ~$35K worth of payments.

Auto loan calculator - Bankrate

$30,000 loan with a 96 month term @ 4% annually with a loan start date of today = a monthly payment of #365.68. $365.68 * 96 = $35,105.28 total payment over 96 months.

I'm don't know how the total payoff would get to $40K given the assumptions?
confused2.gif

Realistically speaking, somebody who is taking a 96 month loan most likely does not have a credit rating which will get them 4% annual rate. I could be wrong.

$30,000 loan with a 96 month term @ 4% annually with a loan start date of today = a monthly payment of #365.68. $365.68 * 96 = $35,105.28 total payment over 96 months.

confused2.gif

I made my maths wrongfully with the assumption of 4% times 8 years which turns to be 32% of 30 k= close to $40k. Again,I have never bought a new car
grin.gif
.Thanks

Last edited:

confused2.gif

I made my maths wrongfully with the assumption of 4% times 8 years which turns to be 32% of 30 k= close to $40k. Again,I have never bought a new car
grin.gif
.Thanks

thumbsup2.gif

My parents get stuck in that loop. Need a reliable car. Can't afford big repairs so they get something else. I don't live close enough to fix their stuff.

I make 189 dollar a month payments on the Equinox. The rest of the cars are paid for. I guess I should count the trailer, but it is hobby and we do lots of vacations in it.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: Duffman77
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/couple-feel-robbed-by-25percent-interest-td-car-loan

Yeah, a couple that declared bankruptcy over credit card debt, which means someone got stiffed for their bill, are complaining that the bank is making too much money on their high interest loan. I wonder if they used that same reasoning to max out their credit cards and then go belly up on them.

You and I totally see eye to on on that one but I figured it would make an interesting addition to the discussion and it was timely as it came out today.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/couple-feel-robbed-by-25percent-interest-td-car-loan

As cold as it sounds I'm glad their are people like this. This way I have a nice steady supply of renters.

What do you call a person with good income who can't get their financial life together? A renter!

The kicker is most of my renters drive nicer vehicles than me. A lot of people have different priorities I guess. I just don't want to hear the crying come retirement time.

Last edited:

Yeah, a couple that declared bankruptcy over credit card debt, which means someone got stiffed for their bill, are complaining that the bank is making too much money on their high interest loan. I wonder if they used that same reasoning to max out their credit cards and then go belly up on them.

How heartless- can't you recognize "predatory lending" when you see it?
lol.gif

Im surprised most of you assume that people who are signing up for long term auto loans are getting low interest rate financing.

Some food for the thought,

When I was in the army (not that long ago) many soldiers (young and old) financed vehicles with ridiculous finance rates AND to top it off many were agreeing to 72+ months of auto loan debt. $30,000-&35,000 at 10-15% apr up to 72 months, you do the math.

On this. I am a bit maddened I work very hard and pay my bills etc/no credit cards. Well my relative racked up $60k+ in credit card debt(some frivolous/some lifewise) declared bankruptcy and kept their home/retirement accounts/vehicles. They actually got the vehicle loan just before they did this.

The kicker was 3 years latter got a refinance under the US Harp program for 3.4% from 7-8% due to certain terms. I struggled to qualify in this program and have perfect credit but did refinance myself at 2.9%/15 years.

Bailouts of any sort encourage this type of behavior. Whether it is reckless behavior from consumers or businesses. Bailouts are an enabler.
Remember the 'too big to fail banks'??? They are now bigger than ever.

Quote:

They said Okanagan Chrysler Jeep Dodge sold them a 2010 Dodge Avenger

Note the action words! Those poor victims were in the showroom and the dealer swooped down and sold it TO them. They had no part in the transaction and said YES to the higher trim line that's got them in the poor house now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back