16% of Dec car sales subprime loans, 30% leases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm sorry, but I don't have a problem with super-long car loans.

Cars are f'ing expensive, and the only way most people these days can afford to have one is the spread the payments out...you would never fault someone for signing on to a 25-year mortgage, b\c that's the only way to be able to afford to own a home!

Cars are the same way now!

Comparing cars to homes is not a valid comparison.

Isn't that the problem? Cars are very complex, more than my house, but designed to fall apart in a short time and not be practically rebuildable.

Cheap used cars will be available again in a few years. It means more parts availability at the wreckers for our two...

30% of new vehicles are leased? The article doesn't break down the number of vehicles leased by consumers for personal use, but given what I see on here I'm assuming it's pretty high. I'm always astounded when I see people leasing a vehicle for personal use-what a tremendous waste of financial resources; making payments on a vehicle with nothing to show for it after 2 or 3 years.

I've even seen advertisements for new vehicles that don't give the vehicles price; only the "low low lease rate of $XXX.XX/month."

I suppose I shouldn't be, but I'm always astonished at the financial ignorance exhibited by people in order to have a shiny new toy.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm sorry, but I don't have a problem with super-long car loans.

Cars are f'ing expensive, and the only way most people these days can afford to have one is the spread the payments out...you would never fault someone for signing on to a 25-year mortgage, b\c that's the only way to be able to afford to own a home!

Cars are the same way now!

That's the type of financially irresponsible thinking that got so many people into trouble in the 2008 crash.

The problem is that a large percentage of people don't have the self discipline it takes to save up for a new (or newer) vehicle. We started early in life and began putting what would have been payments to a bank into savings while we drove older, paid for vehicles. After 5 years we had enough to pay for newer vehicles, and when we upgraded we continued making payments to ourselves. Those payments went into savings for the next new/newer vehicle, and gave us a resource for major repairs if they were ever required. We could now go out and purchase several new vehicles with the money we've paid ourselves and saved/gained in interest, but we won't. We didn't always have a splashy new car; we've never had the "keep up with the Jones" mentality, and we've never been a slave to debt.

We continue to follow that strategy, and instead of watching our debt grow we're able to watch our assets grow.

And I agree with the others who have pointed out that comparing a depreciating asset like a vehicle to an asset such as real estate is a foolish comparison.

This is ridiculous, along with the data about how long you can get auto loans for. 72-96 months? Even at 4% you will pay a ridiculous amount of interest. Might as well just buy the car twice.

Dispute all the ads and claims, Joe public is a slave to debt and doesn't get a 0% loan or anything close. Leases have worse interest rates than financing.

The stupidity in the population is amazing. And very sad. And of course the will be expectations for others to bail out those who frittered away their money when the time comes.

The only solution is to ensure that the stupidity of the practices is discussed and shown to be as horrid as it is. Of course then folks caught in the act get their panties in a bunch because they don't want to be shown for being taken in a stupid deal.

I was never able to save up ahead of time--not when I had to borrow to go to college, then had to get a job to pay off that note. Kinda needed reliable wheels for job. Too bad I wasn't on BITOG back then, perhaps I coulda run that Saturn out past 300k instead of trading off after 116k. OTOH somehow I've managed 10 years on the other vehicles?

As for buying homes, if anyone wants to buy my house for what I paid for it seven years ago PM me and it's yours.

Hard not to be a slave to debt these days. Impossible to buy a home w/o it. Not unless if you want to put off having kids until you're in your 30-40's that is. Call me old fashioned but I want my kids out of my house before I need dentures. If that means I'm keeping up with the Jones' then so be it--really no way to get off this ride once you're on it.

Saving money at less than 1% (interest gets taxes) is financially a poor decision when interest rates for a new car are around 2%. Couple that with 3 years of repairs on an old car, you are negative big time.

Rates low = finance
Rates high = save

This is how corporations operate,for a reason.

How many of the 16% have poor credit due to mistakes made by credit bureaus?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
This is ridiculous, along with the data about how long you can get auto loans for. 72-96 months? Even at 4% you will pay a ridiculous amount of interest. Might as well just buy the car twice.

And of course the will be expectations for others to bail out those who frittered away their money when the time comes.

I worry about this very thing. When this generation is too old to work and has no retirement investment, they will look to raid someone for their needs. Unfortunately the only place to steal from will be those who DID save for retirement, and to steal from their children and grandchildren's generation. That has already started.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

And of course the will be expectations for others to bail out those who frittered away their money when the time comes.

I worry about this very thing. When this generation is too old to work and has no retirement investment, they will look to raid someone for their needs. Unfortunately the only place to steal from will be those who DID save for retirement, and to steal from their children and grandchildren's generation. That has already started.

Pretty sure JHZR and I have wondered about this in the past.

Makes one wonder if it's not going to become more of a gamble to save up for ones future, eh? I mean, it's always a gamble, since most retirement is in one way or another tied to the stock market. And a gamble that you won't live that long to enjoy your efforts (although leaving behind a nest egg for survivors is a comforting thought). But if those tax rates go up in the future... Life is a gamble.

Anyhow, it is disheartening to read about so many subprime loans. Makes me wonder when the next "ripple" in the economy will be. And how bad it will be the next time.

I think as well, people feel they have to have a car that is "respectable" when they should be spending a much smaller percentage of their income on vehicles.

Whooo boy. Never underestimate the urge of BITOGers to feel superior to other folks.

The "super long notes" that get written these days are usually five or six years long. When I was a whippersnapper the average car was due for (at least) a re-ring and new valves after five years, and it would have been generally a mess. Anybody taking who's still making payments on something like that would be a fool.

Times have changed! These days a the average five-year old car is just going to be a slightly scruffier version of itself when brand new. Cars last longer than they ever have, and have more features (safety and otherwise). The price has gone up, but I for one don't think a five year note at a reasonable interest rate is excessive. On a $30,000 car a five year note is likely to come out to under $3,000 in total interest, and it's are very likely that the owner will have ZERO paid repairs necessary to the vehicle in that time frame. Most of these "sub-prime" car notes are not getting written on $30,000 cars, but on smaller, more inexpensive transportation for working people.

Cars aren't houses. They aren't investments in and of themselves, but they are frequently investments in ones life. Reliable transportation is necessary to hold down a job and to, you know, live life. In the majority of this country, that means you absolutely have to have a car. Our public transit is a mess. To quote the poet: "Catching buses be getting me to work late/ you know that slows down my pay rate/ down to zero"

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: whip
People with poor credit buying cars doesn't surprises me. What does surprises me is that the lending institutions have not learned their lesson after 2008. They keep making money easy to get and the people will keep taking it. Eventually, a lot of those people will default in mass, and we'll repeat the process. The same thing is happening in the housing market.
It's funny how the banks never took any responsibility for the crash, but willing took the bailout money, similar to the way GM took money. Yet, nobody seems upset with their bank like they were with GM.

Once you realize that 2008 was done to prop up the big banks and get rid of the small banks, you will not find the practice surprising at all. Plus those banks never lost any money, to the contrary actually.

And yet the outrage at GM getting money was quadruple the outrage at the banks.

Originally Posted By: whip

And yet the outrage at GM getting money was quadruple the outrage at the banks.

Of course, follow the money, also which industry saw NONE of the top criminal king pins go to prison for gross malfeasance?

The financial industry.

Originally Posted By: supton
I was never able to save up ahead of time--not when I had to borrow to go to college, then had to get a job to pay off that note. Kinda needed reliable wheels for job. Too bad I wasn't on BITOG back then, perhaps I coulda run that Saturn out past 300k instead of trading off after 116k. OTOH somehow I've managed 10 years on the other vehicles?

As for buying homes, if anyone wants to buy my house for what I paid for it seven years ago PM me and it's yours.

Hard not to be a slave to debt these days. Impossible to buy a home w/o it. Not unless if you want to put off having kids until you're in your 30-40's that is. Call me old fashioned but I want my kids out of my house before I need dentures. If that means I'm keeping up with the Jones' then so be it--really no way to get off this ride once you're on it.

I agree with you here. Sometimes debt is necesary. And I think that some of the commentary that matches with mine comes from folks who never had kids (my speculation).

Still, the "must have" and "keep up with the joneses" drives unsustainable debt and poor consumer practices that are so harmful.

Modern society practices are a disease as much as any physical ailment.

I agree with you here. Sometimes debt is necesary. And I think that some of the commentary that matches with mine comes from folks who never had kids (my speculation).

Still, the "must have" and "keep up with the joneses" drives unsustainable debt and poor consumer practices that are so harmful.

I'm married with two young kids, 4 and 6. Our only debt is the mortgage. Yes I did finance my Mazda. That was one year before before my daughter arrived and we were saving for a house down payment. Not paying cash for that car put us in a house much sooner, so dept is sometimes needed. But most people see debt as a necessity for everything because the are so burdened by it that they cannot save anymore. It becomes a vicious cycle that is hard to break, not just because of income, but because of spending habits.

Originally Posted By: supton

I have a 21 year old son in college, I'm 49 i have about 2 1/2 years on my mortage left. I do invest in a 403b. I choose to drive my vehicles longer, and i drive a beater that most people would be embarrassed to drive( the paint is really bad on the olds). I can afford to buy another new car, but i don't choose that debt. I will be mostly debt free in about 3 years. I choose that over those who look down their noses at me in my olds, but i am probably in a better financial state than they realize( or than they are). When i am through with my mortgage and my sons college i plan to reward myself by building an AC cobra replica with my son.

Originally Posted By: metalboy
Whooo boy. Never underestimate the urge of BITOGers to feel superior to other folks.

The "super long notes" that get written these days are usually five or six years long. When I was a whippersnapper the average car was due for (at least) a re-ring and new valves after five years, and it would have been generally a mess. Anybody taking who's still making payments on something like that would be a fool.

Times have changed! These days a the average five-year old car is just going to be a slightly scruffier version of itself when brand new. Cars last longer than they ever have, and have more features (safety and otherwise). The price has gone up, but I for one don't think a five year note at a reasonable interest rate is excessive. On a $30,000 car a five year note is likely to come out to under $3,000 in total interest, and it's are very likely that the owner will have ZERO paid repairs necessary to the vehicle in that time frame. Most of these "sub-prime" car notes are not getting written on $30,000 cars, but on smaller, more inexpensive transportation for working people.

Cars aren't houses. They aren't investments in and of themselves, but they are frequently investments in ones life. Reliable transportation is necessary to hold down a job and to, you know, live life. In the majority of this country, that means you absolutely have to have a car. Our public transit is a mess. To quote the poet: "Catching buses be getting me to work late/ you know that slows down my pay rate/ down to zero"

Going to agree with this...

Though in my case I would much rather get that base Cruze offered at 14999 at the dealer than get a 30k car. It's still new, and you can pay it off much faster...

Plus, even used cars are starting to come down. A co worker just picked up an 11 Cruze LS with 32k for just under 12k.

Originally Posted By: metalboy

And yet folks that follow your line of thinking have higher consumer debt than ever, and remain slaves to payments for years. A mortgage is usually a must, at least on the first home, and if done wisely it's a good investment. Stringing payments out on a depreciating asset such as a vehicle isn't a wise use of credit when, with a little self discipline, it doesn't need to be done.

We have two Godsons, both in their late 20's who are practicing a debt free lifestyle. One has kids; both, other than a mortgage, are debt free. Both will have their homes paid off in a couple years. Both went to college and graduated with no student loans by putting in 30+ hour weeks working to pay off their student debt while going to school. Both have sacrificed a lot in their younger years to enjoy their financial success in their later years. Neither of them has any sort of pay television, they don't buy the latest and greatest fancy phone, they don't eat out, don't go to movies, and vacations are usually taken at our lake home (which is free for them to use). When their vehicles need repairs they usually bring them out to my shop and do the repairs themselves.

The one with kids is a single income family-his wife is a stay at home mom and home schools. The other is a two income family and they're waiting until they're financially set before having kids. They both live modest lifestyles and live within their means. Both purchased homes that they knew they could pay off in 10 years or less, and both are putting in sweat equity to increase the value of their homes.

With the money they've saved and invested both will be millionaires within 10 years, and probably in a shorter time frame given the recent economic growth. Both are very driven, self disciplined men. Both are proof that it can be done, and even though I'm only their Godfather, I couldn't be prouder.

There's nothing like the feeling of owing no one a single dime. And you're right on one count, it is indeed a superior feeling. It's too bad so many other people will never get to experience it.

There's nothing wrong with financing as long as the vehicle has positive equity at the time a person decides to trade it in or sell it. The biggest problem I encountered when I sold cars was people upside down in their trade because they put a little down, had a long term on their note, or wanted to get out too soon and roll the negative equity into another note. Typically these people would take the negative equity in their loan and add it to another loan, and repeat the process until they couldn't borrow anymore. As the saying goes when you're in a hole stop digging. The longer the term of the loan the less the vehicle will be worth at the end of it. For me 5 years is my limit on a car loan. Opinions vary on that.

I'm very happy to be debt free!

My cousin did that with a string of new cars in her early to mid 20's. She eventually woke up one day and realized she was paying $500 a month for a Jetta and than got off the musical car cycle. For awhile she was trading in every 6-12 months with, oh the payment is just a little bit more! Well after her A4 she had so much negative equity she had to downgrade to a Jetta but pay Audi money for it! LMAO.

IMHO a lot of people have to much vehicle for their income. I see all these $50k trucks running around, IMHO a vehicle should not represent a year of take home pay, it should be about a third.

I doubt most of those people make $150k a year, I'm betting its more like $45k with looooong loan terms.

Last edited:
People amaze me. I bought the truck in my signature line a year ago for $9400, out the door. It is rock solid reliable, good on gas for a F-150 (6 cyl. stick, 2wd) and I just love it! A co-worker at the same time spent $40,000+ on a crew cab Silverado with a $700 a month payment. He thinks I'm crazy, buying a 2wd truck in Michigan. You know though, I haven't had to call a tow truck in over 10 years now. Always kind of thought it was best to put 1/2 down in cash/trade on a new or used vehicle, otherwise you may be getting too deep in debt. Most everyone will disagree with me, but I'm very, very close to being debt free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back