30% of car loans are 6 to 7 years/ avg is $28,711

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: Donald
Or people could make do with a little less car. My 2015 Subaru for around $26K has almost everything one could need (not want) in a nice car (except leather and a fancy NAV system). Its not a BMW or MB, but a nice vehicle. As long as it has a sunroof and radio my wife is happy. And this has 4WD which is needed around here on many winter days.

Its been treated with Carwell within the 6 month time period, so its covered for rust.

Could this be my last car? I am 62 and in good health. Keeping it 15 years would bring me to 77. So who knows?

Subaru's are great deals. Their price has barely increased in the last 15 years. In 2000, a base model Subie with automatic was $20,895. In 2015, a base auto is $23,195. This is well below the inflation rate.

I'm a Subaru owner as well. You can't even find (because few people want them) a base anything on a Subaru lot. Does your statement hold true once they are optioned out?

I would agree with that idea because the trend has been for more fully contented vehicles from subcompacts on up. There are very few strippers and even the price of many subcompacts have gone up by 2-3K or more just based on content upgrades. The $9999 loss leader stripper is mostly a thing of the past. I'm not sure if some people don't want them but they're generally not being given that choice anymore.

My son has sold cars at the local Lexus dealer for 12 years. All different types come to him and some of them he's thinking 'you don't need to be buying this car'. On the other hand alot of his customers just write a check.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
My son has sold cars at the local Lexus dealer for 12 years. All different types come to him and some of them he's thinking 'you don't need to be buying this car'. On the other hand alot of his customers just write a check.

True...many times that "cash" is coming from a home equity loan or a cash out from stocks.

I'm surprised at how many of you guys live beyond your means and borrow money to buy things you don't need. Ever heard of fractional reserve banking?

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I would agree with that idea because the trend has been for more fully contented vehicles from subcompacts on up. There are very few strippers and even the price of many subcompacts have gone up by 2-3K or more just based on content upgrades. The $9999 loss leader stripper is mostly a thing of the past. I'm not sure if some people don't want them but they're generally not being given that choice anymore.

I wanted to buy one of them, but for the loss of sound deadner I gave up. No money in it for the oem to offer low cost choices, or ala cart on cheap cars, where the owner gets the choice of what options to get.

I kinda miss my manual steering, manual brakes, manual trans vehicles of the past. Add EFI and airbags...

A lot of people like to sign, pay, and drive. They don't want to do maintenance and they want something (they consider) reliable. They want a "nice" car that ll they have to do is put gas into it once a week.

If you're going to take a out a six year loan with no intention of finishing it off, just lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back