Today I put 6 year old gasoline into my Nissan Xterra!

It's a wonder to me that we don't hear more stories about fuel/gasoline household storage mishaps. The above posts make no mention of safeguards like you see in industry (flammable lockers, materials of trade exemption etc.)
Or stored a good distance away from the house in a ventilated shed - no electricity (that’s mine) …

One of the best ways to avoid having to use those products is to do like the people did during the depression of the 1920s and just keep your gas tank full. My grandparents saved their ration cards and every time they had a chance and they got out regardless of how much they always topped off their gas tank. I think there was a part of them that really enjoyed having their own self-reliance. I know she never much cared for oranges because they lived on a farm and had apple trees but the city kids were getting handouts and she was too proud to not be self-sufficient. It's amazing that those products in the yellow and red bottles were probably around when non-ethanol fuel was the only thing available. And then about 2002 or 2003 that all changed in a wide spectrum and yet they continue to sell something that was really irrelevant and kind of like seafoam. I can remember Casey's general store selling higher octane fuel for less money and I didn't understand why at the time but now I do.

I have several cans of ol' fuel. I try hard to rotate thru it in the vehicles. Its mostly for the generators... and sometimes ages a couple years before being utilized.

I too overdose the Stabil, usually by accident, or equivalent competitor product, and use a premium non-toptier ethanol free pure gasoline... usually 91-93usa octane around here, common marine/offroad/smallengine/recreation engine fuel). Use ethanol free fuel and stabilizer for any/all cans of fuel you keep, whenever possible.

There is no toptier ethanol free fuel. E10 is a requirement for top tier. I don't store E10 but some might not have a choice.

Also have couple 20-30lb propane tanks for the grille/generator/heaters/refrigerator too.

Both the gas and propane have come in handy multiple times, especially when power is out and gas stations are either empty, or not pumping because of whatever catastrophic outage.

When wasting old stored gasoline in the car, I usually just use a 5-gallon can at a time and then fill up with new fuel. 5 gallons of even stale fuel with 10-20gallons of fresh toptier fuel has always been a nothingburger.

The Stabil360 and 360marine both have added PEA too. K100, StarTron, Pri-G, BioborEB, EthanolShield also cleans/removes gum/varnish and/or carbon deposits. I'd recommend pretty much any stabilizer product when compared to none. So, the better products are adding carb/injector cleaners to their stabilizer products.

Most products work tolerably well for E10 fuel too, and some are more specific to E10. I just wouldn't push my luck for longer than 1 year storage with ethanol.

I would state that the fuel in my metal cans seems to run better than the plastic jugs.

I guess the big issue is with condensation/water/rust and that depends on your local climate too.
Costco 91 ethanol free is top tier.

Back