READ PLEASE! 5w20 vs 5w30 engine life? opinions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
In this day and age there are better engineering solutions than running heavy oil just because one might see high oil temp's under some extreme usage.

Do you believe your own arguments? Looking at your signature you feel a need to blend heavier oil into your 20wts.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
In this day and age there are better engineering solutions than running heavy oil just because one might see high oil temp's under some extreme usage.

Do you believe your own arguments? Looking at your signature you feel a need to blend heavier oil into your 20wts.

I'm of course referring to the modern OEM trend to 0W/5W-20 oils for year round use in late model cars.
I don't own any late model cars. That said I run a lighter than spec'd oil in all my cars including a 0W-20 in my track car that's spec'd for 5W-50...

I don't own any late model cars. That said I run a lighter than spec'd oil in all my cars including a 0W-20 in my track car that's spec'd for 5W-50...

A thin as possible but thick as necessary kind of philosophy. My old vette would eat 0w-20 like candy. I could see starting thin then adding heavier weight oil to achieve a point where it has a reasonable amount of consumption.

I assume you run Mosport. That's my favorite track. You have very nice cars to play with.

I'm of course referring to the modern OEM trend to 0W/5W-20 oils for year round use in late model cars.

Do you use your 7 as a daily driver in the winter?
wink.gif

@Shannow: The biggest problem I see here is that people don't drive their cars anywhere near their potential, with respect to the limp mode. I'll admit I don't like the limp mode, but the most taxing thing people up here do with their lubes is perhaps pushing the vehicle a little harder than they should when they start it at -35. They sure don't abuse them in the summer.

I have the same concern of engine life with these engine oils,

For me, its 5W30 vs 5W40.
Conditions : Desert summer climate with peaks of 45 deg C(113 deg F) with non oil cooled engine.
Car driven to quite its potential - occasional revving of 5000-6000 rpm.

Wondering if 5W30 gives shorter engine life than 5W40?

Originally Posted By: Garak

Do you use your 7 as a daily driver in the winter?
wink.gif

@Shannow: The biggest problem I see here is that people don't drive their cars anywhere near their potential, with respect to the limp mode. I'll admit I don't like the limp mode, but the most taxing thing people up here do with their lubes is perhaps pushing the vehicle a little harder than they should when they start it at -35. They sure don't abuse them in the summer.

I have to agree, I don't think the 0w20 in my son's Mazda3 hurt him one bit today when started at -23C and driven for all of 10 minutes till he got to work. Not sure anything thicker would have been better here.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Caterham
Case in point is the new Toyota 86GT and it's BRZ and FR-S clones. The 0W-20 grade is specified for world wide use and nothing else.

What oil are they using in OZ in the Toyota 86 GT, and its BRZ and FR-S clones?

Yes TGMO 0W-20 is the recommended oil for the GT86 in OZ and is imported specifically for that model.

If they import it specifically for that model wouldn't it make sense to import it for other models, therefore making it more readily available for all cars requiring that oil?

Excellent point, particularly the Prius and the economy range that the oil was specifically designed for...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Excellent point, particularly the Prius and the economy range that the oil was specifically designed for...

It makes sense to me, especially for something like the Prius.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Shannow

It makes sense to me, especially for something like the Prius.

It makes sense to me too.
Why the 86GT was the impetus to import the TGMO 0W-20 does sound odd. But now that it has arrived other models like the Prius would obviously benefit; as Shannow mentioned that's the car it was originally designed for.
IIRC from another OZZY thread, Toyota dealers are charging $12/L for it which doesn't seem too bad for a synthetic down under considering M1 is $20/L.

^^ We'll know as time goes on if the 0W20 oil becomes easier to get and cheaper down under.^^

Originally Posted By: cp3
I have to agree, I don't think the 0w20 in my son's Mazda3 hurt him one bit today when started at -23C and driven for all of 10 minutes till he got to work. Not sure anything thicker would have been better here.

I don't even really worry with my G, even thought it happens to have a thicker fill (I know, that really blows my point right out of the water, but here goes). It's got the limp mode, but I've never hit it. My driving doesn't tax the vehicle much.

CATERHAM never answered whether he uses his 7 has a daily driver all year.
wink.gif

I hear ya.Im running 5w30 in my 2013 Ford f -150 with the 5.0,it likes it.Had a uoa done and Blackstone said everything was wearing normal. It was a 6000 mile run on Pennzoil ultra 5w30.

Last edited:
The whole 5W-20 thing is CAFE driven, plain and simple... The MFGR can't say use whatever is best for your driving conditions, as someone(like me) would use a 5W-30/40 year round instead of just in the hottest temps... Of course with OCI intervals increasing, it'd be a waste of good oil changing it seasonally, which is why I run 5W-30 in most everything year round...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back