156mph in a Dodge Charger..

Pulls onto the highway from where? Drops from a space ship? My guy...there is no way to magic across hundreds of meters of field without being seen. Or long bridges. Or everglades with no roads.
What you describe, a long, straight, and open highway with few vehicles getting on is very rare here in the NE.

Like idiots, in the 70s we often tried to make the needles go to the end.... then out of sight in the dashboard. We did accomplished it too quite a few times. I am sure many here did it. :sneaky: I did get caught by the police. Only once.

What you describe, a long, straight, and open highway with few vehicles getting on is very rare here in the NE.

Even if the highway is long and straight, that doesn't mean it doesn't have a lot of hills like some parts of I95 in Virginia. Also should be noted that when a highway is engineered the allowed hills (vertical alignment) and curves (horizontal alignment) take into account the design speed.

One issue in Virginia that I've never seen brought up anywhere is how they make a highway 4 lanes, and the new 2 lane section is engineered to then-modern standards for vertical and horizontal alignment, but they do nothing to the old parallel 2-lane section (to the point that you can usually tell which side of the highway is the newer one) yet both get the same speed limit.

Pulls onto the highway from where? Drops from a space ship? My guy...there is no way to magic across hundreds of meters of field without being seen. Or long bridges. Or everglades with no roads.
Me and my buddys all ALMOST bought it one early evening heading to the Methuen Mall to buy the new AEROSMITH record "Toys in the Attic" back in the 70's I was driving my red tag special detective's used car a '73 Ford LTD 429 complete with a certified speedo. We were on Rt 495 North (East heading at that point, actually) near the Lawrence, Mass over pass.
I was going for it in the fast lane. Had it up to 120+ . Well some grandpa in a Ford Granada full of other grandpa's and grandma' entered the highway and proceeded to quickly cross ALL THE LANES right into the fast lane going about 45MPH. He was going left faster than he was going straight! I was still a greenhorn and I had little time to react so it was both feet hard stomp on the power brakes. That LTD nose dived HARD and sparks were flying over and under the car like we were a meteor entering the Earth's atmosphere. I think I kissed his rear bumper and boosted his speed about 10 MPH. The LTD got up on almost two wheels and was heading to the left guardrail on the over pass. Below was the Lawrence municipal natural GAS tanks. I exclaimed, " Boys this is it!" I gave the wheel one last prayerful yank and the car wobbled the other way then back and forth a couple more time until it settled down to straight and true again. Man the adrenaline was pumping, heart rate off the chart.
The Old folks in the Granada pulled over - we kept going to the Mall. Bad boys for sure.
When we got out I noticed something funny about the front. The bottom inch of the license plate was chewed off, later I notice a front shock broke off also.

I learned a life's driving lesson that night. Not about speeding, but about anticipating the worst and most inappropriate driving and basic rule obeyance - from others.

Me and my buddys all ALMOST bought it one early evening heading to the Methuen Mall to buy the new AEROSMITH record "Toys in the Attic" back in the 70's I was driving my red tag special detective's used car a '73 Ford LTD 429 complete with a certified speedo. We were on Rt 495 North (East heading at that point, actually) near the Lawrence, Mass over pass.
I was going for it in the fast lane. Had it up to 120+ . Well some grandpa in a Ford Granada full of other grandpa's and grandma' entered the highway and proceeded to quickly cross ALL THE LANES right into the fast lane going about 45MPH. He was going left faster than he was going straight! I was still a greenhorn and I had little time to react so it was both feet hard stomp on the power brakes. That LTD nose dived HARD and sparks were flying over and under the car like we were a meteor entering the Earth's atmosphere. I think I kissed his rear bumper and boosted his speed about 10 MPH. The LTD got up on almost two wheels and was heading to the left guardrail on the over pass. Below was the Lawrence municipal natural GAS tanks. I exclaimed, " Boys this is it!" I gave the wheel one last prayerful yank and the car wobbled the other way then back and forth a couple more time until it settled down to straight and true again. Man the adrenaline was pumping, heart rate off the chart.
The Old folks in the Granada pulled over - we kept going to the Mall. Bad boys for sure.
When we got out I noticed something funny about the front. The bottom inch of the license plate was chewed off, later I notice a front shock broke off also.

I learned a life's driving lesson that night. Not about speeding, but about anticipating the worst and most inappropriate driving and basic rule obeyance - from others.
You have me from FORD with 429 cui.....

I see. Carry on…

You have me from FORD with 429 cui.....
Low comp 1973. Probably didn't even make the power of a small block. I don't have spec on the low compression interceptor engine. maybe 235 HP if stock was 198HP.
It did have nice low end torque and it was smooth until a toasty valve seal made it's way into the oil pump somehow. Shut that engine right off

I've had a bad one before....105/65...night time/empty road. Triple digits...ouch. Pay to play. That one is a misdemeanor in VA and required a lawyer to keep me out of jail and by jail, a weekend would have been the most likely outcome....and that's with a perfect driving record BTW. VA is not a good state to do that in. I've seen this one making the rounds on the interwebs...at 150+ he would have been in jail for mos. here. In the end, we all know the rules. COVID empty highways were fun while they lasted. W/r to the speed limit, when I took my driving class for that ticket (I also did 80 hours of community service) the instructor said something about the speed limit that resonated with me...the speed limit is set for the range of drivers on a public road...from your 80 year mother to your 16 year old son and to that, he is correct. Keep the rubber side down....I keep my 140mph to the track.

Back