156mph in a Dodge Charger..

No government officials at my door. No one preventing me from doing any reasonable thing I want to do. I do not think driving 155mph on public roads is reasonable. Freedom never meant being free to do whatever you want regardless of its potential/material impact on others. Someone who drives 155mph on the highway clearly doesn't care about their impact on others and so yeah, the state needs to intervene in the name of public safety. That's not tyranny - that's just maintaining public safety.
I find this mindset interesting, especially coupled with the earlier comment that it was "ok" to exceed the speed limit by 10MPH but 3 times the speed limit is reckless endangerment and/or attempted manslaughter. Many of the cars capable of reaching 155MPH can make that happen in less than half a mile distance and WAY under 20 seconds, if you were on a flat road where you could see for a couple of miles, would it be ok to hit 155 and just hold it for 5 seconds, then decrease speed to 10 over and drive forever like that?
I guess it is ok to break the law within the boundaries you can get away with? (my BIL is a state trooper and he doesn't pull if only 14 over posted). What if everyone decided to drive 100, you couldn't hire enough cops to write tickets.
I'm pretty sure that the key to a law is compliance, not enforcement.

I'm sure statistics would show there are more traffic accidents caused by texting rather than high speed driving. Where I live it seems half the drivers on the road have their snouts buried in their phones.

Just two weeks ago I was on a long stretch of Hwy 101 where it is wide open highway with most people cruising at 80. I kept getting passed by a young female driving a Tesla who looked like a Cal Poly student, camped out in the left lane, her speed varying from 45 to 90. Over and over again we re-passed each other. OVER AND OVER AGAIN! EVERY SINGLE TIME her nose was buried in her phone. Throw her in jail, seriously.

Scott
While I agree, it is perfectly legal to eat a full course meal while driving, with mayo dropping on your shirt, retrieving a fry dropped between the console and seat etc.

Don't try this in VA. You would be rewarded with a class 1 misdemeanor, a permanent criminal record, and up to 162 days in jail (not to mention whatever the fine would be).
I believe this would actually be a roadside arrest here in our people's republic, an impound and a reckless endangerment charge.
...and hope you are stone sober with a registration in your name, proof of insurance and current safety inspection.

I find this mindset interesting, especially coupled with the earlier comment that it was "ok" to exceed the speed limit by 10MPH but 3 times the speed limit is reckless endangerment and/or attempted manslaughter. Many of the cars capable of reaching 155MPH can make that happen in less than half a mile distance and WAY under 20 seconds, if you were on a flat road where you could see for a couple of miles, would it be ok to hit 155 and just hold it for 5 seconds, then decrease speed to 10 over and drive forever like that?
I guess it is ok to break the law within the boundaries you can get away with? (my BIL is a state trooper and he doesn't pull if only 14 over posted). What if everyone decided to drive 100, you couldn't hire enough cops to write tickets.
I'm pretty sure that the key to a law is compliance, not enforcement.
Part of this discussion has already been about the magnitude by which you’re breaking the law. That’s not arbitrary either. The faster you go over the speed limit the more likely you are to both be in an accident and hurt yourself or someone else. A car has 8x or 800% more KE at 155 than 55mph. Most accidents that are perfectly survivable at 55 or 65 or 75 aren’t at 155. At some point is becomes reckless. We can argue at what point but 155 isn’t the same as 85.

This also isn’t about the individual. You maybe a perfectly capable driver in a perfectly capable car driving at 155 but lots of people will not. The point of severe punishment isn’t to actual punish - it’s to prevent. Never go X miles per hour over the speed limit and you never have to be subjected to the punishment. As I said, freedom doesn’t mean free to do whatever you wish simply because you believe it won’t hurt anyone - especially if it likely to hurt others. Short of suicide, no one speeds thinking they’re going to kill themselves or someone else so clearly intension not to hurt others isn’t sufficient to prevent tragedy and yet it happens. Furthermore, it is greatly exacerbating by the speed at which it happens. This kind of like arguing Russian Roulette is safe since the gun didn’t go off the last three pulls. The argument that the infraction isn’t that serious is also BS IMO. It needless endangers lives and not just the life of the driver.

Last edited:
Far too many young & irresponsible dipsticks that are now able to afford cars that are too powerful for their abilities, or own good, thanks to Dodge's market saturation and depreciation.

Whomever smashed into my mailbox last month and broke the 4x4 post was driving a Dodge Charger, according to the part number on the mirror glass which I found in the ditch on the opposite side of the driveway from the mailbox.

Color me unsurprised.

Don't try this in VA. You would be rewarded with a class 1 misdemeanor, a permanent criminal record, and up to 162 days in jail (not to mention whatever the fine would be).

In Virginia a Class 1 misdemeanor is punishable by up to a $2500 fine and/or 1 year in jail.

Folks sure trust what may or may not be in the road. There are always bolts, pliers, screwdrivers, hammers, nails, metal parts, rocks, bricks, boards, animals, and wonderful potholes. At least a racetrack typically has people watching to ensure the drivers are safe.
I can’t judge because I’ve done it but at least it was during my younger days when I was a real idiot.
Edit: high speed is how I ruined a 68 Firebird HO. Lucky to be typing this….

Last edited:
I did find out that the Challenger does have a limiter from what I found it's 157mph. I think that's for the standard engine. And if anyone wants to use Google Earth to look at I-496 you'll see it's not that wide of a road around where this guy was stopped. Then again this guy was on a restricted license, seems he's had trouble driving before.

I'm not against going 10 over.. But when someone is going double the limit or more.. Yeah I'd say that's reckless, but you arrest them after they've committed the crime, not because they were POSSIBLY going to break the law.. That's more of a thought crime and sorry that's not the way this country was founded.

Folks sure trust what may or may not be in the road. There are always bolts, pliers, screwdrivers, hammers, nails, metal parts, rocks, bricks, boards, animals, and wonderful potholes. At least a racetrack typically has people watching to ensure the drivers are safe.
I can’t judge because I’ve done it but at least it was during my younger days when I was a real idiot.
You forget the biggest thing… a yellow or white line on the road and a mutual agreement to not constantly play bumper cars.

Some people eat fast food or are overweight. Some people suffer sleep loss. Some people have untreated medical issues with no monetary excuse. We're all going to die. Have fun doing it, as long as you dont harm others.

There are a few places around me where you will be the only one on the road in sight and I'll get after it when the opportunity is there. 3rd gear in my vette gets me to 120. I've stayed in it a couple times to 150-160. Took a road trip last summer on the highway in NV where the Silver State Classic is held. NV Hwy 318 between Hiko and Lund. No other car in sight on the long straightaway where the top speeds are reached during the event, and topped out at 190.

My dad had a Roadrunner back in the 90's and used to blast thru the Seattle tunnels (underpasses) doing 110+.

One day there was a motorcycle cop stationed behind a pillar, looking in the mirror he just threw his hands up and didn't even bother to try to chase lol

Some people eat fast food or are overweight. Some people suffer sleep loss. Some people have untreated medical issues with no monetary excuse. We're all going to die. Have fun doing it, as long as you dont harm others.
Yes. The difference here is their issue won’t kill or maim someone else. We all are going to die but why do stupid stuff with really no benefit other than a dangerous thrill that can kill or maim?

Highly unlikely excessive speed in open highway away from people will harm others.
Exactly how I feel about it.

Empty road with nobody else or anything beyond a light pole/tree/field to hit should you be too silly and or goofy for your own good? Send it, you have no one to blame but yourself for the consequences of your own actions.

Traffic? Not the place or time, but a felony is too far if they haven’t hit anything/anyone.

Residential or school zone? Yeah, you should probably get your car and license taken away and be forced to apologize to the tree providing you oxygen.

Back