156mph in a Dodge Charger..

Highly unlikely excessive speed in open highway away from people will harm others.
True but if a car pulls onto the highway and you are running 150 mph someone is definitely going to die. The highway is a public transportation avenue…. Not a private racetrack.

Good news is you can pick what state that you want to live in based on laws and taxes or any criteria that you wish. It's what makes this country great.
BTW- no state in the USA tolerates someone driving 15 MPH to 30+ MPH over the speed limit.
We are into silly talk territory now. Except to say the new EVs are going to make high speed driving a very simple thing to do. High Insurance rates eventually will put a brake on some of that nonsense of run of the mill EVs turning out 350 to 700 Hp.

Last edited:
I'm sure statistics would show there are more traffic accidents caused by texting rather than high speed driving. Where I live it seems half the drivers on the road have their snouts buried in their phones.

Just two weeks ago I was on a long stretch of Hwy 101 where it is wide open highway with most people cruising at 80. I kept getting passed by a young female driving a Tesla who looked like a Cal Poly student, camped out in the left lane, her speed varying from 45 to 90. Over and over again we re-passed each other. OVER AND OVER AGAIN! EVERY SINGLE TIME her nose was buried in her phone. Throw her in jail, seriously.

Scott
I dive bomb the drivers side door laying on the horn when I get to the boiling point. No contact just a "scare tactic" Most of them still don't "wake up".
Lot's of left lane bandits out there. Miss my old truck with a 4x6 as a bumper.

Cops were handing out tickets for a while for s-l-o-w drivers in the "passing lanes. I haven't seen to many Staities around monitoring traffic. They are always heading off to fender benders around the city Interstate

Thankfully I don't commute hours to work anymore. I have NO tolerance for morons.

BTW- no state in the USA tolerates someone driving 15 MPH to 30+ MPH over the speed limit.
Come up and commute on interstate 93 into Boston, Massachusetts from the 'burbs some time.
The patient has clogged arteries. She's on Coumadin.

80MPH is der rigueur everyday. It's they only way to make the morning rush hours work.

Come up and commute on interstate 93 into Boston, Massachusetts from the 'burbs some time.
The patient has clogged arteries. She's on Coumadin.

80MPH is der rigueur everyday. It's they only way to make the morning rush hours work.
To being going over 15 MPH of speed limit here would be 85 MPH. Yeah, maybe I should have said 20 to 30+ instead of 15.
Ive past police radar at around 82/83 in a 70. It not hard for them to get someone going 85 to 90

When Virginia first had 70MPH speed limits, they also still had the law that said that anything over 80MPH is reckless driving (class 1 misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail and/or a $2500 fine)

. So you could be charged with reckless driving for going 11MPH over the speed limit, if in a 70MPH zone.

They finally changed the law (it's now anything over 85MPH is reckless) but it took quite a while.

Failure to signal for a turn is also a reckless driving offense, but they never bother to enforce it from what I've seen. I imagine that the only way to get charged with this one is to sleep with a Virginia cop's girlfriend.

Had an ambulance years ago that would hit 120mph, that was sketchy! Pulled 140mph in a 1988 Ford Thunderbird once. My F150 will cutout at 106mph. Tend to keep it to 5-10 over, max. I don't feel like becoming an episode on Donut Operator's YouTube channel.

True but if a car pulls onto the highway and you are running 150 mph someone is definitely going to die. The highway is a public transportation avenue…. Not a private racetrack.
Pulls onto the highway from where? Drops from a space ship? My guy...there is no way to magic across hundreds of meters of field without being seen. Or long bridges. Or everglades with no roads.

Lets face it, we as Americans want the freedom to speed.
If we didnt, it's super simple to pass national legislation I would think, limiting the speed of vehicles. Its just a simple computer code entered in the vehicles ECM.
Pick a speed. Lets say 90 MPH... ?

Failure to signal for a turn is also a reckless driving offense, but they never bother to enforce it from what I've seen. I imagine that the only way to get charged with this one is to sleep with a Virginia cop's girlfriend.
The police don't make the laws. The people you vote for do. That's why elected officials are called "lawmakers".

Scott

Being seen going more than double the speed limit will always be enforced, if they can catch you. On the other hand, since failure to blink is rarely enforced, it can be seen as a pretense to make an unwarranted stop.

Officers have, despite their claims to the contrary, quite a bit of discretion about what laws they enforce.

Except that they shouldn't. They should be like a vcr and record what they find. It's the public office that reads the reports and decides what to pursue and what not.

Officers have, despite their claims to the contrary, quite a bit of discretion about what laws they enforce.
Enforcement is a whole different issue. Do you want the Virginia police citing you with a reckless driving charge because you didn't use your turn signal? I can hear the howls of protests against the police, even though it was publicly elected "lawmakers" who wrote the laws.

And then, of course, you have the District Attorneys who release lawbreakers bail free, etc. For example, why should the San Francisco police arrest people who "only" stole less than $900 worth of goods? In fact, the SF police can't even arrest them. They cite them. And then the DA dismisses the charges.

The whole police argument smacks of NIMBY-ism. So long as law breakers are taking someone else's stuff, people don't want them arrested. But the instant the law breakers invade their own little space, these same people want instant police protection. Hilarious.

Scott

Last edited:
Enforcement is a whole different issue. Do you want the Virginia police citing you with a reckless driving charge because you didn't use your turn signal? I can hear the howls of protests against the police, even though it was publicly elected "lawmakers" who wrote the laws.

Sure, to the degree that it might get people to more carefully consider who they're voting for.

Back