$12.46 a quart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Wemay it will be $19.98 per quart
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Garak
Sadly, that price would fit in nicely up here.
wink.gif

I wonder if they are trying to find the upper end of what people will pay in the US? I was surprised to see Mobil 1 filters at now are starting at $18...
Huh! This afternoon I saw Purolator's Pure 1 version of the tiny (<1 oz) cartridge filter for my car priced at $18 at Advance Auto. No, I didn't bite.

Hey Oneyejack, I have to say I think this is on line with New Coke back in 1984... A bad idea with no real upside.
I know some will say that after Coca Cola brought back "regular" Coke that they gained back matketshare they had lost. But they never did get ALL of the matketshare they had prior to the launching of "new garbage" Coke. Pepsi gained in that escapade and never lost what ground Coca Cola have them.
This move here by Mobil 1 is a new Coke moment. Get your Endust and dusters ready
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hey Oneyejack, I have to say I think this is on line with New Coke back in 1984... A bad idea with no real upside.
I know some will say that after Coca Cola brought back "regular" Coke that they gained back matketshare they had lost. But they never did get ALL of the matketshare they had prior to the launching of "new garbage" Coke. Pepsi gained in that escapade and never lost what ground Coca Cola have them.
This move here by Mobil 1 is a new Coke moment. Get your Endust and dusters ready
smile.gif

Hello BB,

In the taste tests new coke won a vast majority of the time but people still claims they liked classic code better. Go figure that one.

You've got to remember that Mobil might just be the best in the world at marketing expensive engine oil no matter if it fails some people's definition of synthetic or not. On top of all that, it's a very good oil and that's a good fall back after you spend all that time and money on marketing.

OneEyeJack (by the way, that's the name of my now deceased cat. We rescued him from the wild at which time he made me a reluctant blood donor. He had one eye half torn out. The vet completed the job but several years later he lost the other one to an infection, something that was predicted by the vet. He lived to be about 10-12 years old before a tough life finally got him. Even blind he would bring me a dead bird, gopher or rat and would sleep between my pillow and the head board. I really miss him. He's buried in the back yard and my dogs take their afternoon nap right there. I think if it's possible, they miss him, too. He taught the dogs how to give the proper respect a really bad cat.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Solarent
I agree.

Plus there will be a psychological pricing trick where someone will wonder "why is this so much more than regular Mobil 1" and another person will say "well with this one you only have to change your oil once a year" and then someone will read their owners manual which says annual oil changes are acceptable for warranty and BAM! all of the sudden you are paying way more for your oil than you thought you would and Mobil has successfully "raised the value" of their product on the shelf which will allow the prices of the rest of their products creep up.

Retailers like Walmart do this all the time. Put something up to distract you like "New Everyday Low Price" meanwhile prices are creeping up all over the store on other items. Then the products that were higher priced get put on "Rollback" while the old everyday low price products get moved upwards. It's a never ending shell game.

The price we pay has nothing to do with the cost of manufacture, it has everything to do with the perceived value of the product. This is how pricing psychology works and they get us every time.

Well said !

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Until Mobil and WMT come to their senses with the price of this product, Amsoil might see a slight rise in sales all thanks to XOM's new product.

The uneducated non BITOG member wouldn't know what Amsoil is, so I doubt that Mobil would take that big of a hit on sales.

If that oil doesn't move for the price point, expect discounts on it and eventusl discontinuation. Did those jugs state how long you can run the oil for?
I knew what Amsoil was in the early 1970s before there was the internet.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
This makes Amsoil and Mobil 1 more expensive that the Red Line 0w-30 that I use in my DDs.

Scary, that
smile.gif
... do you get a special deal?

While there is a possibility the AP will go down in price, that's not a guarantee. If anything, you cannot disregard the possibility of the other lower-tiered oils going up in price.

Now is a good time to build a stash, if you haven't done so already.

Agreed that Mobil 1 is nuts trying to sell that at $50.00. Interesting that on their website,they do not mention TBN or the viscosity index.They do for most of their other oils. I emailed them about it,no answer yet.I am sure they will feed me the famous proprietary jargon.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I think Mobil have lost their minds, nobody is going to buy that, M1 EP, or even regular M1 can already go 1 year, heck just about any oil can go 1 year under not-extreme conditions.

For my 15 Chevy Volt, and the way I drive it (engine is used ~10% of the time, the rest of the time, I use the electric motor), ANY 5w30 Dexos1 oil will last me for TWO years.

If that's the walmart price, I am sure Autozone and places like that will be atleast $25 more. I see no need for this oil because EP and even Regular M1 can go a year or close. Mobil has not updated their product guide yet (last update 1/2017) showing the Annual Mobil 1. I did notice that the HIGH MILEAGE M1 now has the same zinc levels as the other formulas...that stinks as I like the higher zinc for my older cars that the HI MILEAGE used to have.

I plan on runnin' this oil in the 1989 Cavalier. Keep that 2.0 Liter engine going strong...

I plan on runnin' this oil in the 1989 Cavalier. Keep that 2.0 Liter engine going strong...

^ And the mileage on your 1989 Cavalier is.......? ^

Originally Posted By: xtell
178,230. Just checked it.

(Your '89)

Wow under 6500 miles per year....

I've run the car (base model - 4 speed auto transmission was the only option) since new with an add on transmission cooler and remote filter, power steering cooler and remote filter and a bypass filter for the engine oil. I plan on running this car till I die.

Hi early your first post made me laugh a bit. But I have to say I respect and admire your way of thinking and what you are doing. Something to be said about really taking care of what you have. And not being concerned about what others have or being envious of others as well. Being content is something that can help set us free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back