100% Kona coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody tried it? I hear that it's truly wonderful stuff. As much as it costs, I would surely hope so.

If you have an opinion on this coffee, please share it.

Thanks
smile.gif

Overrated, in my opinion. Same thing for the nearly deified "Jamacian Blue Mountain" beans. One hundred percent gin-u-ine Kona is literally about $30.00/lb (roasted), so unless that's what you are paying, you aren't even getting the real deal.

I personally wouldn't spend that much, but then again, I like the earthier, heavier coffees from around indonesia, so I wouldn't spend any money on coffees from that region anyway.

On eBay, I just put a bid on some Starbucks 100% Kona, direct from Hawaii. I hope I win. I'd like to try this stuff. It aint cheap; that's for sure.

I just bought a pound of beans on eBay from this fellow. He & his wife do all the work themselves.

-

I can't wait to try it.

When you buy any of those expensive coffees, try to get green beans and roast them yourself. I've seen the pre-roasted beans sitting in big glass jars in the gourmet coffee shops for months. Since the price is so high, the inventory doesn't move.

Alternatively, you could buy them from a roaster so you know they are freshly roasted. Kona is pretty good if not old and oxidized.

"Alternatively, you could buy them from a roaster so you know they are freshly roasted."

That's what I just did.
smile.gif
See my post above. The guy I bought the beans from grows, picks, roasts......does everything himself. He also said he only does only 5 lbs. a week. He had over 100 feedbacks on eBay with 100% positive feedback. I'm excited about trying this stuff!

I prefer Sumatra coffe to Kona. It has a similar low-acid character, but richer body and much less expensive. Forget the ultra-dark roasts, you cant taste the difference from one kind to another, all burnt.

Trader Joes sells medium roast Sumatra beans for $8 a 14oz can. Ive tried the Kaui for about the same price, no body.

I searched for Uncle Wayne on ebay. Good price, probably an excellent product. Let us know how it is. When you do, let us know what kind of roast he used.

Thanks...

I received my "Uncle Wayne's" 100% Kona coffee today. I just brewed my first pot. I love the taste!
smile.gif
Nothing wild about this coffee; it's just excellent coffee. I don't really know how to critique coffee, but here's my take:

It is rich & full-bodied, with a very smooth finish. It's not very "acidy", like a lot of other coffees I've tried. Overall, I give it 9 out of 10 stars. I'll likely buy more from "Uncle Wayne" at some point.

FWIW, I paid $18 + $4.05 shipping for 1 pound of beans from "Uncle Wayne". I purchased the beans from him on eBay on Tuesday morning, & received my coffee today (Friday). Very fast shipping via USPS!!!
smile.gif

p.s. Someone asked what kind of roast he used. Sorry, I don't know.

I wish I knew what variety of coffee that Amtrak uses in their diner cars- some of the very best coffee I have ever had. Bar none. I will never forget how good it was.

Pablo,

If your question was directed toward me, I can tell you that the coffee I purchased is only available in the variety that I purchased. "Uncle Wayne" only sells one type of Kona coffee.

If your interested in finding out more about this coffee, here's a link to "Uncle Wayne's" coffee on eBay: Uncle Wayne's 100% Kona Coffee

If your question was not for me, disregard the above.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back