10 Years Of BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realized today that I have been on BITOG for 10 years (September 26th). It all began with buying a new 2010 Ford FX4 and searching for “the best oil” (none of us have done that have we?). Though I had a bit of knowledge, I have acquired so much more over the course of my being here. Folks like Jim Allen, DNewton3, Overkill, Molakule, WWillson, Shannow, Garak, BDCardinal, Astro14, and so many more that my memory fails to recall have been very gracious with the sharing of data and patient answering the myriad of questions that I and countless others have asked and (re)asked through the years—so many thanks gents for all that you have done.

A few highlights that I recall over that time (in no particular order):
  • Purolator going from the darling filter of BITOG to what any FRAM was when I joined
  • Green Castrol becoming liquid gold as it was phased out
  • The rise and fall of G-Oil and Valvoline NextGen
  • The FRAM Ultra becoming the “go to” filter for a good majority of people and for some it was in direct conflict to what they always knew about FRAM
  • Dawn dishwashing liquid and/or Prell shampoo is more than adequate to pass a 4 ball or 1 arm bandit test, but does not work very well in an ICE
  • ATF is frequently used as a cleaning oil, yet is has no additives whatsoever and those for/against frequently have spirited conversations around that point
  • No oil is too thin or too thick and whichever camp you are in, you have a prepared doctrine of why the chosen one is better (or worse)
  • The Castrol “lawsuit” over the definition of what constitutes a synthetic is vaporware, but frequently invoked when a discussion starts about “real synthetics"
  • No one on BITOG (with rare exception) runs motor oil long enough to satisfy Group A or short enough to satisfy Group B and Group C sits on the sidelines with popcorn to watch the event
  • The word Lucas typically results in lines being drawn in the sand and swords being sharpened
  • Trolls never die, they are simply resurrected with new handles—though they can be a solid source of entertainment
  • Snake oil comes in many colors and packages, though it is never identified as such until a statement like “I used x and it cleaned x in x miles”
  • Viscosity changes or moving from conventional to synthetic typically results in an MPG increase of at least 30%
I am sure there are more…

I also have been here many years, even though my stats don't show it as they started all over when the format changed recently. And I totally agree with you on all points.

Been here for 13 years, i have really enjoyed this site and some of the characters that have come and gone.

My all time favourite was gearheadtool most of his posts still make me chuckle when i think back to them.

Have you told them that the forum is about the oil that goes into the cars? :unsure:
Yes and then they reply with I don’t want to talk about anything to do with cars wether it be oil or tires or anything. Lol. I’m actually part of several forums and I enjoy them all and they think I am weird for all of it not just this one.

Man, you just made me realize I’ve been here 10 years too!

Time flies. It is funny looking back and seeing the trends and various fan boys evolve.

Over 17 for me. It's been so long I forgot what lead me here in the first place! Many board format changes, but the discussions are still great and there's always something to learn from BITOG. I'm thinkin' that's why we all keep coming back.

Schaeffers came and went
Lubecontrol came and went
Auto-rx came and went
MMO in fuel came and went
TCW3 in fuel came and went
GC came and went
straight oils came and went
HDEOs came and went
thin came and went
thick came and went
G-05 came and went

and on and on.

some are still darlings, others not so much...

I didn’t realize this forum has been around so long lol. I’m younger so I wasn’t old enough to join 10 or 15 years ago though I did use the internet then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back