10 Lifestyle Changes That Will Keep You Alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jjohn320
As far as the LACK of skin exposure, there is no cancer risk for avoiding the sun, obviously by avoiding the sun your chances of getting skin cancer go down dramatically.

Greatly increased risk of prostate and bowel cancer through avoidance of the sun.

There's a prostate cancer epidemic in these parts, and it seems to be that underground coal miners are at the centre of it.

1. Fortunate enough to have had plenty of this the last 10 years. No shortage there. (Having long term girlfriends prevents the dry spells bachelors go through)

2. The benefits of good oral hygiene can't be overstated.

3. Sun is good to a degree, depending on skin type. I have pale skin with freckles, so for me a small amount is good. Someone with a darker complexion needs moderate sun.

4. Alcohol is best in moderation for physical health, but the mental health benefits are out of this world! Sometimes an escape is good for a few hours.

5. Lazy Americans need to practice more hand washing.

6. Sleep is huge. You can almost never get enough for good health.

7. The problem with smoking is that too many smokers don't practice moderation. Instead of 1 or 2 per day, or every few days, many smokers suck down 15-20 cigarettes per day. The chemical cocktails that they add to commercial cigarettes also have to play a factor.

8. Stress kills. I get stressed too much at work and that makes me even more stressed because I know the stress is bad for me.

9. This may be the most important. Too many Americans are cube dwellers now, and I have no doubt this has led to the increase of flu epidemics, obesity, diabetes, cancer, etc.

10. Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine said "let food be your first medicine" Nothing will make you sick and unhealthy quicker than eating poorly. Eating a great diet will make up for many other lifestyle ills.

Gonna add a few of my own here:

- Luck
-Genes
-X-factor
-Lots of fiber (good BM's = good colon health = good overall health)
-Lots of water (flush out the junk)
-Good types of fats (lots of omegas and unrefined cooking oils)
-low chemical exposure (water, air, workplace, etc)
-spiritual fulfillment (gives a lot of people a reason to keep going even when life hits rock bottom)
-good social life (any man who has friends is not a failure)

Heart disease is the #1 killer in North America. Diet, Life style (lack of mobility) and Stress are all factors.
I know people that work 40+ hours a week, eat junk coz they don't have time to shop or prepare healthy food, and are too tired or don't have time to exercise and enjoy life outside work.
Many also suffer stress from their work.
Neither of my parents lived to retirement age. I made a conscious decision NOT to let work rule my life. At age 30 I moved to a place I wanted, and could afford, to live (work was a minor consideration) Now at 54 my health is better than when I was 30, Plus I enjoy life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back