10 Lifestyle Changes That Will Keep You Alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lifestyle Changes That Will Keep You Alive
Posted by: Dr. Mercola
January 23 2010

Americans spend billions every year on a dizzying array of health schemes. But some of the best approaches to health care are cheap and within your grasp, if only you can find the will to make some lifestyle changes.

1. Experience the benefits of sex

Sex has many apparent health benefits. Studies suggest sex can boost your immune system and reduce stress.

2. Keep your teeth clean

Diabetes, low birth weight babies and heart disease have all been linked to gum and bone disease in your mouth. Even heart attacks have been linked to bad dental hygiene.

3. Use the sun

A little sunshine is good for your mood and allows your body to produce necessary vitamin D, which is lacking in some 70 percent of American kids these days.

4. Drink less

After years of hearing that moderate drinking is good for your health, a study in November, 2009 found that having a drink or two each day might be something that healthy people do, rather than the drinks being the cause of their good health. And if you're having more than a couple drinks a day, then you're at higher risk for liver damage and diabetes.

5. Wash your hands

Hand washing remains the best prevention against the flu and many other diseases.

6. Get some rest

Serious lack of sleep -- less than six or seven hours a night -- has been associated with increased risks of high blood pressure, hypertension, obesity, diabetes and cancer. Lack of sleep can also contribute to auto accidents and on-the-job injuries.

7. Stop smoking

About half of all smokers die from smoking, and of these, about half die around age 50 or sooner.

8. Don't stress

Stress kills. It causes deterioration in everything from your gums to yourheart and can make you more susceptible to a range of ills, from colds to cancer.

9. Exercise

Over and over, studies find a host of exercise benefits, not just for your body: It can raise kids' academic performance and stimulate adult brains. Exercise makes bones stronger and alleviates many types of chronic pain. Regular exercise has even been associated with a lower risk of cancer.

10. Eat better

Choose real food instead of sugar laced with traces of real food. Cook at home rather than eating fast food, and use spices, rather than gobs and gobs of oil or sugar, to spice up your meals.

Article

Another one I think is very important is to drink a lot of water everyday. This helps flush the body of toxins and in my experience it helps me ward off colds and flu (and on those rare occasions when I do get sick I fight it off very quickly, as I think the water helps flush it out) In my case I drink about 2 liters of water a day.

I could use more of #1.
#2 Bad oral hygiene causes inflammation which gets in the blood and can cause heart disease, this is one of the reasons an aspirin a day helps.
#3 I have worked outside in the sun as a carpenter my whole life and have known hundreds and hundreds of guys who have done the same. The same for my father and his generation. And yet, I do not know anybody who has had the misfortune to get skin cancer. There are a couple of theories on the increase of skin cancer and IMO it has to do with the lack of sun exposure.
#4 everything in moderation.
#5 especially if you live in a cubicle with all the other worker bees. People who spend there lives outside tend not to get as sick.
#6 common sense
#7 Anybody who uses tobacco in this day and age deserves what they get.
#8 see #6
#9 The human body was meant to move, not sit.
#10 Anything that comes in a box (except dry ingredients like pasta or beans or rice) or pre-cooked, don`t eat.
Patman +1
These are just my observations

I know a bunch of contractors, who, IMO, do it so they can smoke all day long.

Just this week, I was working on a job at a local college. We were creating a lot of dust which was being drawn out of the building my portable exhaust fans. We got in trouble because the college got a complaint by the students because the dust was flowing into the outside smoking area.

as far as skin cancer the exposure to sun does greatly increase the risk of skin cancer. Now if you are very tan you are less likely to burn and you can stand longer periods in the sun. Burning increases your risk even more, skin cancer usually comes in the forms of some nasty moles. As far as the LACK of skin exposure, there is no cancer risk for avoiding the sun, obviously by avoiding the sun your chances of getting skin cancer go down dramatically. But exposure to the sun helps release vitamin D which makes you feel better and happier, makes your bones stronger. Of course feeling happier actually decreases your blood pressure which is of course..very good. Key word is moderation. then again...what do I know Im just a healthcare major lol

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Nothing more than common sense. No revelations in any of the 10.

Yeah, but you might be expecting too much reguarding kids these days.
Common sense in general seems to be lacking.

There are some exceptions of course.

People, in general, spend most of their time indoors. Exposure to the sun is inevitable. And as you state they do not get tans. When they do spend the day outside they use sun screen. Sun screens in the past, and I know this is changing, block out the UV rays which causes burns, but not UV rays which can lead to cancer. The result is they do not get out of the sun because they do not burn which is the body`s natural defense. This is just one theory on the rise of skin cancer. I am not a doctor but I do read the subjects that effect me.

Originally Posted By: LAGA

Saw an article just a couple of days ago that said sitting for four or more hours at a time causes all kinds of very negative things to happend to the body. Even worse, those things can not be offset by exercise later - four hours sitting and you have hurt yourself.

Originally Posted By: LAGA
I could use more of #1.
#2 Bad oral hygiene causes inflammation which gets in the blood and can cause heart disease, this is one of the reasons an aspirin a day helps.
#3 I have worked outside in the sun as a carpenter my whole life and have known hundreds and hundreds of guys who have done the same. The same for my father and his generation. And yet, I do not know anybody who has had the misfortune to get skin cancer. There are a couple of theories on the increase of skin cancer and IMO it has to do with the lack of sun exposure.
#4 everything in moderation.
#5 especially if you live in a cubicle with all the other worker bees. People who spend there lives outside tend not to get as sick.
#6 common sense
#7 Anybody who uses tobacco in this day and age deserves what they get.
#8 see #6
#10 Anything that comes in a box (except dry ingredients like pasta or beans or rice) or pre-cooked, don`t eat.
Patman +1
These are just my observations

If this is true, why did GOD make my butt so big ??...
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Best I can remember, I can vouch for every one of those suggestions. To bad I did not follow that advise. I am paying the price now.

4 and 10 are no goes for you Wisconsin folks!

Funny I've did most of those in the last year and still had a heart attack. I attribute that to weight lifting, creatine and bad genes. So when they say exercise look at your family! I'm sticking to cardio and light weights now.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
There's no mention about which oil will help you live longer, so how good is that list?.,,,

Any conventional oil with auto-rx will let you live at least three lifetimes. Don't use too much, though, or you'll turn back into a baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back