1 In 5 Crashed Cars Now Totaled By Insurance Firms, ADAS Partly To Blame

I had an incident about 10 days ago. I was driving home from a luncheon, about a 35 mile drive. Within 6 miles of home, I started feeling funky. About 3 miles from home, on my rural deserted country road, I went off the road after I blacked out. The car went down a small embankment and over a bunch of large rocks. Aside from body work damage, it was leaking fluids from the drive train.

I was totally uninjured (wearing the seat belt) and the airbags did not go off. EMS came, said I was looking pale and took me to the hospital. On the ride my Blood pressure was 60 over 40. My mixture of meds had recently changed. I was in the hospital for observation for 3 days, and at home am wearing a heart monitor and am under a self imposed 2 week no driving period in the event I have a relapse. My BP has been running normal.

The car was my 2019 AWD RX350 Lexus, with only 31,000 miles. I am hoping it is totalled, because I think the drive train took a significant hit.
Best wishes on your recovery. I hope you get your health situation sorted out.

If you mean texting and email, I can have some of my newer car's text to speech function read out a message over the radio speakers.
This feature is old news on some car lines.

My 10 year old Ford (2014) speaks my phone texts over the radio speakers as they come in. I do have the option to have them ignored. This is OEM software, nothing aftermarket or phone app being used. Automatic once the phone pairs with the car.

Emails are not read but who would want that with all the spam that gets through.

If you mean texting and email, I can have some of my newer car's text to speech function read out a message over the radio speakers.

My2013 did that, and it wasn't a new feature then. But it's more watching tiktok, social media etc... people can't be disconnected from "it" for the duration of a drive.

I have the TSS 2.0 system in our newest car and I like it. Its supposed to auto brake, etc.

However I see more and more accidents. I wonder if this is one of those scenarios where when football players started wearing helmets they started tackling with their heads?

I had an incident about 10 days ago. I was driving home from a luncheon, about a 35 mile drive. Within 6 miles of home, I started feeling funky. About 3 miles from home, on my rural deserted country road, I went off the road after I blacked out. The car went down a small embankment and over a bunch of large rocks. Aside from body work damage, it was leaking fluids from the drive train.

I was totally uninjured (wearing the seat belt) and the airbags did not go off. EMS came, said I was looking pale and took me to the hospital. On the ride my Blood pressure was 60 over 40. My mixture of meds had recently changed. I was in the hospital for observation for 3 days, and at home am wearing a heart monitor and am under a self imposed 2 week no driving period in the event I have a relapse. My BP has been running normal.

The car was my 2019 AWD RX350 Lexus, with only 31,000 miles. I am hoping it is totalled, because I think the drive train took a significant hit.
Wow, glad you're OK. I knew a young man who had a similar accident; he broke his back and became a quadriplegic, They found 10+ 16 oz empty beer cans in the car.

I hope everything checks out ok. I’ve been battling serious afib for the last few years. Last year around this time I started feeling weird and was just a couple blocks from the ER. When I got there my heart rate was 35 bpm and was immediately admitted and after several cardioversions and two ablations over the past year I am doing great. (Knock on wood)
My blood pressure has been on the low side my entire life. It averages around 106/64.

The Lexus of course will have a great residual value so odds are it’s repairable but the important thing is that you are ok. Best of luck.

I have the TSS 2.0 system in our newest car and I like it. Its supposed to auto brake, etc.

However I see more and more accidents. I wonder if this is one of those scenarios where when football players started wearing helmets they started tackling with their heads?

I think you have it figured out. When you feel safer, you take more chances. Not only that, but with all the assists, you are more disengaged from the driving process.

My Mach E is linked to my phone. My wife called me while I was in traffic in town. It was definitely distracting. I told her it was distracting and hung up. When you are driving, you need to pay attention to driving, not anything else.

Same thing for me. I don't like talking on the phone in general, through the vehicle's wireless system when I'm driving. I totally avoid it if I can. Not my thing.

In regards to the insurance situation in the OP, it makes you wonder how this is going to be sustainable as time goes on given the cost of vehicles and repairs is so crazy. The "safer" the vehicles get, the more expensive they are to fix.

Monthly insurance premiums are going to be like another car payment. I know even for myself, my insurance co has paid out ~$14K for just two deer strike claims from two of my vehicles this past year. When my daughter smacked one with her 2016 Malibu (3rd deer strike), we had to leave the vehicle as is after I did some DIY piecing it back together. I dropped collision off the Malibu and my Versa a few weeks ago anyway. That saved me a bunch.

But does ADAS reduce fatalities? Fatalities in Belgium stopped reducing, and increased again the last few years, while ADAS is becoming more common.

Those figures must exist for the US aswell
Very interesting.

Very interesting.

So the answer is ADAS is much like football players tackling with their head.

"Despite these historic drops, we cannot remain complacent. From 2019 to 2022, the vehicle death rate increased 6.4%, the mileage death rate increased 10.8%, while the population death rate increased 16%."

So the answer is ADAS is much like football players tackling with their head.

"Despite these historic drops, we cannot remain complacent. From 2019 to 2022, the vehicle death rate increased 6.4%, the mileage death rate increased 10.8%, while the population death rate increased 16%."
I think it would be wise to not draw too many conclusions from data during COVID. Too many anomalous things going on. For one, I remember a ton of reckless drivers on the road driving extremely fast during that time.

In a recent thread we were talking about the rising cost of car insurance and was reminded of it when I saw this article. It reports that 20% of the time a car
is in an accident it now results in a total loss because of the increasing complexity of vehicles.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...as-partly-to-blame/ar-BB1nunMd?pc=ACTS&ei=181
Its interesting when you read the bloomberg article that is says
"Of course, most of these write-offs are pretty old — in the past two decades, the average age of cars on US roads has increased to 12.5 years from fewer than 10 years. The fact cars last this long shows their improved durability — but they’re often not worth repairing if involved in a crash.
http://bloom.bg/dg-ws-core-bcom-m1
The cost of vehicle repairs has increased by almost 50% since the start of the pandemic, far exceeding regular inflation
Source: Bloomberg, Bureau of Labor Statistics
At the same time, the proportion of brand new vehicles being written off has increased, according to CCC Intelligent Solutions Holdings Inc, a software company that facilitates insurance claims and repairs; it attributed this trend in part to growing vehicle complexity."

So they headline could also be that " More write offs due to more old cars on the road and repair costs have gone up"

The reality is that many of us are guilty for peeking at our phone behind the wheel. We know better but still do it.
I place my phone face down and silence it when I drive. It’s one way to disconnect from the “right now” world. And if I’m driving in a sporting manner on a nice mountain road I power it off. Of course, I still have the flight data recorders in the cars, but those feel less invasive to me than my cell phone. I have a genuine dislike of cell phones. If nothing else I feel like my DNA is be disturbed with it in my front pants pocket. I never put my cell phone in my shirt pocket because it’s too close to my heart. I hate cell phones to the extent I’m still using an iPhone 7.

Scott

Last edited:
I place my phone face down and silence it when I drive. It’s one way to disconnect from the “right now” world. And if I’m driving in a sporting manner on a nice mountain road I power it off. Of course, I still have the flight data recorders in the cars, but those feel less invasive to me than my cell phone.

Scott
I use whichever kid I'm hauling around as my HI(human intelligence) personal assistant. They are pretty good for writing texts, reminder lists, preordering food, and navigation. They get a bit glitchy if they are hungry though...

I use whichever kid I'm hauling around as my HI(human intelligence) personal assistant. They are pretty good for writing texts, reminder lists, preordering food, and navigation. They get a bit glitchy if they are hungry though...
That works. If Sue is with me her cell phone is up and available. Problem is when we drive somewhere she often times has her face buried in it, missing all the scenery. That annoys me to no end. We’ve gotten into 70 mph skirmishes over that.

Scott

That works. If Sue is with me her cell phone is up and available. Problem is when we drive somewhere she often times has her face buried in it, missing all the scenery. That annoys me to no end. We’ve gotten into 70 mph skirmishes over that.

Scott
I do make the kids put their phones away(they have no real amounts of data anyways), and take in some high resolution reality for a while... Especially if they haven't been there before, look at the differences in architecture, landforms, vegetation, vehicles, farms, etc... I could just drive around for weeks and look at stuff though, so sometimes they get tired of me pointing out whatever I think is interesting....

Back