1 In 5 Crashed Cars Now Totaled By Insurance Firms, ADAS Partly To Blame

IMG_6856.jpeg

But does ADAS reduce fatalities? Fatalities in Belgium stopped reducing, and increased again the last few years, while ADAS is becoming more common.

Those figures must exist for the US aswell

But does ADAS reduce fatalities? Fatalities in Belgium stopped reducing, and increased again the last few years, while ADAS is becoming more common.

Wow. Really interesting. I bet it would be hard to nail down causality, though. Is it the ADAS or is it more distracted driving (phones) or something else entirely.

Wow. Really interesting. I bet it would be hard to nail down causality, though. Is it the ADAS or is it more distracted driving (phones) or something else entirely.

Phones is definitely an issue, and they're cracking down on that, instant driving ban (2 weeks) and a date with the judge if you have a phone in reach

In a recent thread we were talking about the rising cost of car insurance and was reminded of it when I saw this article. It reports that 20% of the time a car
is in an accident it now results in a total loss because of the increasing complexity of vehicles.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...as-partly-to-blame/ar-BB1nunMd?pc=ACTS&ei=181
Sure ADAS increase repair costs because they're additional parts but the realty is that parts in general and labor continue to very expensive. Add in the fact that the avg car is older it makes financial sense to total.

Phones is definitely an issue, and they're cracking down on that, instant driving ban (2 weeks) and a date with the judge if you have a phone in reach
They passed a law banning phone use while driving here in MI and my personal experience has been that it has little or no effect. I still encounter just as many dimwits with their faces buried in their phones. The worst part is. the majority of what I see are vehicles that should have hands free capability.

The reality is that many of us are guilty for peeking at our phone behind the wheel. We know better but still do it.
Yeah but most of us know how to do that--if you glance, it's not much different than glancing at the radio station. It's the morons who can't take it in a glance, or refuse to get off the highway and into a parking lot to deal with whatever is going on, if it's that important.

Higher traveling speeds? There's been an uptick in speeding here.

But probably just more bad driving in general. That's my guess, more people taking more chances.

I don't like blanket figures, I want to see accidents per 100k miles driven and severity (bodily harm) of each accident. if a vehicle is totaled and the occupants are safe than the vehicle did what it was suppose to do.

I had an incident about 10 days ago. I was driving home from a luncheon, about a 35 mile drive. Within 6 miles of home, I started feeling funky. About 3 miles from home, on my rural deserted country road, I went off the road after I blacked out. The car went down a small embankment and over a bunch of large rocks. Aside from body work damage, it was leaking fluids from the drive train.

I was totally uninjured (wearing the seat belt) and the airbags did not go off. EMS came, said I was looking pale and took me to the hospital. On the ride my Blood pressure was 60 over 40. My mixture of meds had recently changed. I was in the hospital for observation for 3 days, and at home am wearing a heart monitor and am under a self imposed 2 week no driving period in the event I have a relapse. My BP has been running normal.

The car was my 2019 AWD RX350 Lexus, with only 31,000 miles. I am hoping it is totalled, because I think the drive train took a significant hit.

Back