1.8T VW oil weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Yuk:
For the record I have spoken to two VW dealers, the national PR manager (an old family friend!) and the national service manager (he didn't know what was meant by LANGZEITFILTER 30,000 km / 2 JARHE on the oil fiter!!!).

Yuk,

For the 1.8, use Audi LL filter 06A 115 561B or newer, which superceded 034 115 561A. Mann also makes a filter specifically for Audi/VW LL. The part number is W 719/30 which superceded W 719/25, and is available at most VW/Audi parts websites. No other filter company that I am aware of, including Mahle and Bosch, support LL. (Please recheck the part numbers.)

Re: Mann W719/30: "The filter comes equipped with a new advanced filter media that allows the increase of service intervals paralleled with better filter efficiency, especially when using synthetic oils. The filter is also equipped with new high quality rubber parts to uphold the longer service intervals. They are also resistant against the new generation of synthetic oil."

geo (3Sq)

[ July 27, 2003, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: geo ]

quote:

For the 1.8, use Audi LL filter 06A 115 561B or newer, which superceded 034 115 561A. Mann also makes a filter specifically for Audi/VW LL. The part number is W 719/30 which superceded W 719/25, and is available at most VW/Audi parts websites. No other filter company that I am aware of, including Mahle and Bosch, support LL. (Please recheck the part numbers.)

I've been able to find a supply of factory, 06A 115 561B, oil filters for only $8.60 CDN /filter,so I don't know that doing extended drains would save me much money. However, now that I have a supply of VW 503.01 oil I sure am tempted by the lure of an extended drain. What do you think, should I dare to attempt an extended drain with Castrol 0w30?

quote:

Originally posted by Yuk:
I've been able to find a supply of factory, 06A 115 561B, oil filters for only $8.60 CDN /filter,so I don't know that doing extended drains would save me much money. However, now that I have a supply of VW 503.01 oil I sure am tempted by the lure of an extended drain. What do you think, should I dare to attempt an extended drain with Castrol 0w30?

The 561B and Mann filters are the best filters for your engine. Remember, using an LL filter and oil does not allow you run LongLife WIV service intervals. If you are interested in trying a "bobistheoilguy" extended drain, fine. Since you are using an excellent oil and filter, I would follow the "normal" (non-severe) interval specified in your manual, and then do a UOA. At that point, you can determine if your oil can go any longer.

Castrol 0W-30 is VW 503.01 compliant, so it should be able to perform LL WIV service, in a LL WIV engine. But again, this doesn't mean your engine can.

[ July 27, 2003, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: geo ]

Understood... Thanks again for the info!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
They do use low HT/HS in the newer 1.8T in Europe? I stand corrected. Does this mean the US version of that motor is not the same as the current version for the European market?

PS: There's somewhere in one of the posts of the recent weeks a link to a pdf file that shows that VW502.00 has an HT/HS of 3.6 min, and that VW500.00 has an HT/HS of 3.5 min. If I find the link on occasion, I'll let you know.

The US does not have this particular 1.8 engine as of yet. I don't believe there are any 503.00 oils in the US. Although A5-02 has an HTHS of 2.9-3.5, it does not meet all the other requirements of 503.00. Using anything more than 1/2 liter of 502.00 (high HTHS) oil could cause damage in this engine (because of the mechanical changes). 503.00 will destroy non-LongLife engines - not true for 503.01. The owner's manual and a sticker in the engine bay clearly identifies this LongLife WIV engine.

[ July 27, 2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: geo ]

I just had the oil changed in my chipped 2000 A4 1.8T yesterday. I had been using the Castrol Syntec 5W-40 "dealer only" oil up to this point. Its now past the warranty period, and I decided to try the Castrol 0W-30 German Syntec.

Hopefully it will perform well. From reading here, while its still unproven, it may be better than the 5W-40 which I believe is Group III.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back