50 weight oil suggestion

New here. Looking for suggestions. I'm currently looking for a really good 50 weight oil. 10,15,20w50. I've narrowed it down to redline, driven, or maxima although I am open to suggestions.

Without going into touch detail. I have a twin turbo car that has redundancies in the ecu to when oil pressure gets lower an 28psi it will pull spark. I was running a 5w30 redline. Well when I am racing and accelerating in a straight line and rpms get around 5800 oil pressure would start to drop. This was when the oil was HOT. Not sure what temp exactly but hot enough to thin it enough to where in higher rpms it would pump too fast. I swapped to a HM 10w40 mobil 1 since thats what I had quick access too. And it helped. But not as much as I would like. After talking with some people it sounds as if it should of been a 50 weight all along.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Losing oil pressure at higher rpms? I wonder if your oil pump is cavitating? Although 5800 rpm isn't that high.

A higher viscosity oil might help that, then again might make it worse.

Or maybe air is getting whipped into the oil. Very difficult to maintain pressure on a oil/air froth. I only suggest these alternatives since you specify you were accelerating in a straight line. Of course, maybe your acceleration was high enough that all of your oil was at the back of the sump.

Last edited:
What’s the root mechanical problem that’s causing this? You definitely have one.

And if you’re racing then use a racing oil. Or perhaps the Mobil 1 product mentioned above. It won’t take long to tell of this helps at all since the grade is agnostic to the brand.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1656548235326.jpg
    FB_IMG_1656548235326.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 33
Mobil 15w50 or Castrol 20w50. Or the 10w40 you have in it and put a bottle of Schaeffer Moly EP in it. It will bring it to a 50/60ish weight and has nice wear additives in it
Really? Just add a bottle of moly EP?

Losing oil pressure at higher rpm usually isn't a viscosity issue. It sounds more like a cavitation issue.

If you want to try a 50 grade though, High Performance Lubricants Bad Ass 5W-50 is where I would look first. Red Line also makes a 5W-50 and Driven has DT50.

What engine are we talking about here? How much boost from what size turbos? Approximate power numbers? How long are the endurance races?

Losing oil pressure at higher rpm usually isn't a viscosity issue. It sounds more like a cavitation issue.

If you want to try a 50 grade though, High Performance Lubricants Bad Ass 5W-50 is where I would look first. Red Line also makes a 5W-50 and Driven has DT50.

What engine are we talking about here? How much boost from what size turbos? Approximate power numbers? How long are the endurance races?
It is a built 5.3. Rods pistons. Heads cam intake. Wet sump with baffles. Turbos are twin 58/65 the turbos are not oil lubricated. The have a proprietary high temp high load self dissipating grease and can be serviced. Water cooled. Boost is 9 in 1st. 10 in second 13 in 3rd and 15 in 4th. Back to gate in OD gears. Power is roughly 700 in 4th. The venue I experienced this in was autocross. And it really only seemed to do it when everything got really hot. When I had redline 5w30 11.9@100cst in it started on the 3rd run. Then I Drained the oil and put 10w40 mobil 1 hm in 12.6@100cst and it lasted till the 6th run.

Back