Hemi oil weight, is it really that sensitive?

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
Came across this YouTube short for a Ram 1500 with a Hemi that came in for a check engine light and the code is for “Incorrect engine oil type”.

Are these things really that sensitive to the oil weight? Or are people putting in thick oil additives to quiet down the ticking?

I can’t imagine the ECU throwing this code for 5w30 or even 0w40, but I never owned one.

is it really that sensitive?

Not a big fan of his videos..

As @JavierH19 said, the Ram in the video must be quite old as you can see a power steering fluid reservoir in the video. Ram 1500s have had E-power steering for 10-12yrs now.

I ran nothing but 5w30 in my 2019 Ram 1500 classic with hemi. Never a check engine light.

My '11 will store a code. It doesn't throw a check engine light. If I remember correctly it has something to do with monitoring pressure, temp, and something else. It will even tell the difference with 5w20 vs 5w30. I've been running 0w40 without any issues. It will store that code, but the MDS and everything else continues to function as normal.

@OVERKILL

No, it's not that sensitive. That being said, the HEMI has a strong bottom end, and a lottery like top end, meaning that you might get good quality lifters, or the supplier might have snuck in a few crappy ones. If you're abusing your HEMI with towing and lots of driving, then use a HTHS 3.5+ motor oil. Otherwise, a "Resource Conserving" oil is fine.

@OVERKILL

No, it's not that sensitive. That being said, the HEMI has a strong bottom end, and a lottery like top end, meaning that you might get good quality lifters, or the supplier might have snuck in a few crappy ones. If you're abusing your HEMI with towing and lots of driving, then use a HTHS 3.5+ motor oil. Otherwise, a "Resource Conserving" oil is fine.
Or, RAM might have allowed a few crappy ones through. How Dodge allowed this to carry-on on such an iconic name (HEMI) is mind boggling.

Or, RAM might have allowed a few crappy ones through. How Dodge allowed this to carry-on on such an iconic name (HEMI) is mind boggling.
I mean, GM did the same thing, and so has Ford so... 🤷‍♂️

Apparently the days of Federal Mogul selling them bulletproof roller lifters that will out-last the engine are long gone. Now we get premium ??? made from only the most questionable Chinesium, heat treated by toddlers, who might not get it quite right when their diapers are full and they are uncomfortable.

I liked the entire "10weight30"-saga of Molybdenum helping the HEMI lifters. Well, roller lifters have what amounts to tiny bearings, and if menory serves, you don't want Moly anywhere near needle bearings or roller bearings. I'm talking about stuff like MoS2, not the organo-metalic Moly found in additives, of course.

Then there was another illustrious gentleman, let's call him "Brian", for the sake of this discussion. He postulated that the Molybdenum in POE motor oils such as Red Line plated the inside of your HEMI, specifically the lifters, cam, and roller bearings. That couldn't be further from the truth... though, if you use a poorly formulated motor oil with lots of Moly dumped in there, you will get deposits in your engine, which are not desirable. Or maybe the gentleman who postulated the above desires those Moly deposits... who knows? 🤷

I think that's inconsequential, given that the problem isn't a design issue with the engine but rather a QC issue with a supplier, which seems to afflict all major OEM's producing pushrod engines with roller lifters.
"Uncle Tony" postulated that the lifter issues are due to the "splash lubrication system". 🤦

While "10weight30" pushed it softly, "Brian" pushed this theory firmly on the Internet, on multiple forums. 😲

This begs the question: if the HEMI has a lawnmower inspired lubrication system, then why does this engine need an oil pump to begin with? 🤔

I think that's inconsequential, given that the problem isn't a design issue with the engine but rather a QC issue with a supplier, which seems to afflict all major OEM's producing pushrod engines with roller lifters.
It's a QC issue with the engine when the part is in the engine sold to the public. The nuance of this being a parts supplier issue falls on deaf ears as far as the buying public is concerned. Especially when the manufacture became aware of this years ago and continued to incorporate said part in their engines. If it were one or two years, i would agree with you.

I know, i know, I've defended the indefensible as a Hyundai fanboy as well with the Theta II engine failures. :giggle:
Pot....meet Kettle.

Curious...
So what exactly is Code 1521 INCORRECT OIL TYPE if not related to viscosity?

It's a QC issue with the engine when the part is in the engine sold to the public. The nuance of this being a parts supplier issue falls on deaf ears as far as the buying public is concerned. Especially when the manufacture became aware of this years ago and continued to incorporate said part in their engines. If it were one or two years, i would agree with you.

I know, i know, I've defended the indefensible as a Hyundai fanboy as well with the Theta II engine failures. :giggle:
Pot....meet Kettle.

It's still important to know what exactly the issue is; because if its a vendor quality control issue then probably nothing can be done, whereas if it's a design issue (say, idling) then you can mitigate that by not idling.

I happen to agree that its a supplier parts issue, the complete randomness of the failures (even within the same engine under the same conditions) can't really be explained by idling or lack of crank splash etc.

Curious...
So what exactly is Code 1521 INCORRECT OIL TYPE if not related to viscosity?

I'm not sure what you're asking, but detecting a viscosity difference is completely separate from answering the question: does it matter to run thicker oil?

I'm not sure what you're asking, but detecting a viscosity difference is completely separate from answering the question: does it matter to run thicker oil?
I was referencing the video where the Code thrown was 1521 Incorrect oil type. I was wondering what they mean by "oil type".

Back