Hemi oil weight, is it really that sensitive?

My 2011 Eagle 5.7 would throw the viscosity code running the recommended 5W-20. It does not illuminate the MIL. I thought the PCM logic was looking at the VVT actuation and time to respond, not oil press vs temp (just my speculation).
I now run the PP 0w-40 (SRT spec) with my camshaft upgrade and tune with no code. Interestingly the hot oil pressure (190-200F) with the 0-40 is almost identical as the 5-20. At 170,000 miles it’s still at 33-35 psi idling @ 650rpm……Same pressure since new.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen more than 210 degrees oil temp in the summer months.
As far as lifters, I put OE MDS lifters in….they were manufactured in Germany.

My 2011 Eagle 5.7 would throw the viscosity code running the recommended 5W-20. It does not illuminate the MIL. I thought the PCM logic was looking at the VVT actuation and time to respond, not oil press vs temp (just my speculation).
I now run the PP 0w-40 (SRT spec) with my camshaft upgrade and tune with no code. Interestingly the hot oil pressure (190-200F) with the 0-40 is almost identical as the 5-20. At 170,000 miles it’s still at 33-35 psi idling @ 650rpm……Same pressure since new.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen more than 210 degrees oil temp in the summer months.
As far as lifters, I put OE MDS lifters in….they were manufactured in Germany.
Interesting, I've never seen the code on mine, using Witech (which I assume you were also using, given your signature). I'm wondering if one your sensors was out of range? My understanding is that it uses the oil pressure + oil temperature + a fudge factor for wear/variation to infer viscosity being in spec.

Interesting, I've never seen the code on mine, using Witech (which I assume you were also using, given your signature). I'm wondering if one your sensors was out of range? My understanding is that it uses the oil pressure + oil temperature + a fudge factor for wear/variation to infer viscosity being in spec.
I saw the code when I was using Castrol Syntech 5w-20 and an 8 oz can of BG MOA. I never paid much attention to it becuase I saw many come into the shop with the same code. I just chalked it up to a possible miscalculation in the calibration from FCA. Then I flashed the car for an erroneous purge system code and I don’t think I ever saw it on my car again. Have not seen the code using the current 0W-40 but then again it’s been tuned for the cam for a while now.
Edit: I noticed your sig….I had an 85 Supra with the 5MGE-MT that ate an intake cam lobe around 17,000 miles. Probably my all time favorite car I ever owned, probably one of the most beautiful too.

Last edited:
I saw the code when I was using Castrol Syntech 5w-20 and an 8 oz can of BG MOA. I never paid much attention to it becuase I saw many come into the shop with the same code. I just chalked it up to a possible miscalculation in the calibration from FCA. Then I flashed the car for an erroneous purge system code and I don’t think I ever saw it on my car again. Have not seen the code using the current 0W-40 but then again it’s been tuned for the cam for a while now.
Edit: I noticed your sig….I had an 85 Supra with the 5MGE-MT that ate an intake cam lobe around 17,000 miles. Probably my all time favorite car I ever owned, probably one of the most beautiful too.
Supra in my signature is actually a boat, but you aren't the first to assume it's a car, which, given the nature of this forum, makes total sense.

Your posit regarding the calibration makes sense, likely fixed with the flash.

Your posit regarding the calibration makes sense, likely fixed with the flash.
It’s still an “issue.” In fact, there was a post about it this morning in the Ram group.

IMG_7760.jpg

IMG_7761.jpg

I find it interesting that my oil pressure is higher than yours at close to the same temperature (as an aside, the SRT shows 31psI at 107C and at 109C). I'm wondering if it's due to running the larger SRT filter?
Probably.

I’ll say that a few degrees can make a measurable difference in pressure.
IMG_7835.jpeg

Interesting, so that's heavier than pretty much all the ILSAC 5W-30's, lol. My 0W-20 has an HTHS of 2.74cP, so I'd expect you to have higher oil pressure.
Not sure if oil pressure is correlated to HT/HS? I thought it was more aligned with kinematic viscosity.

Came across this YouTube short for a Ram 1500 with a Hemi that came in for a check engine light and the code is for “Incorrect engine oil type”.

Are these things really that sensitive to the oil weight? Or are people putting in thick oil additives to quiet down the ticking?

I can’t imagine the ECU throwing this code for 5w30 or even 0w40, but I never owned one.

is it really that sensitive?

I’ve been using 5w30 in mine since after the 1st oil change. For bout 40k miles now. No codes or light.

Mine stays around 40psi idling in park up around 50psi in gear at a stop light.
That doesn't make sense to me. I would believe in gear at a stop light would be lower than idling in park since the engine RPM would be lower.

Back