VW Atlas 4 cyl using oil

Sounds very typical of german engine's. Get the engine replaced under warranty.
Ever since volvo and vw went to super low tension piston rings, and ultra thin drainage gaps, reliability got even worse than it was.

Dealer will say its pcv system. They will replace it a few times, and then the engine will finally blow. Seen it happen to several friends who thought vw/volvo/merc/german brands except porsche are reliable (I really want to laugh but at this point I can only cry and sympathize as you watch your 20-40k car value drop to zero).

This happened to my boss just last year during peak car prices. Dealer kept saying they "fixed it" and that it was "this or that" and he kept topping up the oil 1qt ever 1000 until the engine was burning the entire sump in 1000. I told him this is bad and he didn't listen, trusting the dealer like every normie who never pops their hood.

What is worse, he bought a 110k mile lexus for 35 grand after his engine blew. Brilliant.

Sounds very typical of german engine's. Get the engine replaced under warranty.
Ever since volvo and vw went to super low tension piston rings, and ultra thin drainage gaps, reliability got even worse than it was.

Dealer will say its pcv system. They will replace it a few times, and then the engine will finally blow. Seen it happen to several friends who thought vw/volvo/merc/german brands except porsche are reliable (I really want to laugh but at this point I can only cry and sympathize as you watch your 20-40k car value drop to zero).

This happened to my boss just last year during peak car prices. Dealer kept saying they "fixed it" and that it was "this or that" and he kept topping up the oil 1qt ever 1000 until the engine was burning the entire sump in 1000. I told him this is bad and he didn't listen, trusting the dealer like every normie who never pops their hood.

What is worse, he bought a 110k mile lexus for 35 grand after his engine blew. Brilliant.

You say that yet Honda's in you sig can easily suffer the same fate since they also use low tension piston rings and in fact were known to have the exact same symptoms. Your brand bias is showing and not really helping. Low tension rings if the actual reason and it may well possibly be are used across the board by all automakers.

Seriously troll harder... :ROFLMAO:

You say that yet Honda's in you sig can easily suffer the same fate since they also use low tension piston rings and in fact were known to have the exact same symptoms. Your brand bias is showing and not really helping. Low tension rings if the actual reason and it may well possibly be are used across the board by all automakers.

And yet for some reason a every K series has proven that it can go hundreds of thousands of miles on just oil changes without even pulling the dipstick, yet every vw needs to top up...your argument is what exactly?
Let me put it into perspective for those who can't hear...
It will take a sample of probably a million honda's to find one that blew up due to a bad design, where as it would take me looking at a walmart parking lot to find at least a handful of german cars that are on the brink of exploding due to their fundamental design flaws.

VW doesn't make it into a single top 10 of most reliable brands, and hasn't done so in its entire history...And this is a fact.

You can literally just google "vw low tension ring cylinder failure" and find at least a thousand people within 0.3 seconds who have had it...yet can't find a honda with that issue.

EDIT, for fun I put this into google...and got a funny result...

Attachments

• vw.jpg
    vw.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
OP, I'm sure you'll stay on top of this and it's a good thing you opened a case with VW Corp. I, like many here, don't see this as normal for that engine (although the Car Wizard takes every chance to dump on it). You're dealership is blowing smoke up...

Wow Don't see that every day....maybe once every decade?

How about this :)

(dam look at that, something like 50 recalls on one model in one year!)

Oh lets not talk about diesel gate.....and so on

Bud, for ever honda recall, there are 10 vw recalls :) for every blown honda engine, there are 100 blown germans. cant beat the facts

The fact that you think this is trolling shows you love wasting money digging into your vw engines all day every day instead of being like us japanese car owners who drive to the beach and enjoy the sun instead :)

Bud, for ever honda recall, there are 10 vw recalls :) for every blown honda engine, there are 100 blown germans. cant beat the facts
Your talking to a Honda owner since the early 80s... I have had many and no manufacturer is free from screw ups . MD must be VW heaven as I see many daily and most are old. They out number Hondas and you never see old Subarus anymore etc.

I steered away from VW for over 45 years but as in all things you must take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

My last 2013 Accord was a real dud... New Accords have engine issues too. BHG...

(dam look at that, something like 50 recalls on one model in one year!)

The fact that you think this is trolling shows you love wasting money digging into your vw engines all day every day instead of being like us japanese car owners who drive to the beach and enjoy the sun instead :)
You’ve really moved in during your short stay so far, I’ll say that.

It’s awfully early for the PCV/oil separator to go but when it does the engine will start to use oil and if not attended to it will take out the rear main seal. Usually if they go bad the pcv valve will make a whistling noise. They are easy to locate they sit on top of the engine over the 3rd and 4th cylinders.

Is it documented at the dealership that the consumption is 1qt/1k? To me that sounds high.

On the good side, if the oil light came on, then it is all the closer to either worse consumption or actual bad engine sounds, while in warranty.
VW considers 1 qt per 1k miles to be normal.

Where's the daughter getting the car serviced? Dealership? Jiffylube? Random mechanic?

Sounds like probably dealership, so, at least they can document the oil usage, that when time comes to get a warrantied repair, VWoA already has the documentation.

I’ve had a whole bunch of vw vehicles. None used any appreciable oil. Had four Hondas. Great cars, but they used more oil than the vw cars. Not a lot, but more.

It’s true. Your brand preference is clear. That’s cool and fine. Just remember you have to respect that others may not agree. Hondas are good cars, but they aren’t perfect.

Agreed! Lots of OEMs use low tension rings and are not having these same issues.

No one here is denying they don't. Its just significantly more uncommon compared to German vehicles, including in this instance, VW.
No it's not...stop.

No not even close and let's talk about diesel gate and how GM & Honda did the exact same thing previously.

Critical Federally mandated safety device

Another safety issue

Indicative of Toyota's frame issues, rust by back!

The fact that you can't see your obvious brand bias means one of two things, trolling intentionally or willfully ignorant. Also to make your own point Odessey & Accord owners who are primarily purchased by families' had to worry their transmission would explode at any given moment for a long time or the oiling issues from cylinder deactivation. All they wanted to do was drive home from the beach, shame.

Back