1.6 TGDI big turbo recommendation

Normally I run Amsoil SS 5w30 but im really concerned with the Ca ppm I’ve been seeing on UOA’s. Im particularly worried about LSPI, and although Signature Series is SN/SP, im wondering if there is a “favored” oil for small displacement GDI turbo cars. Ive recently installed some go fast bits and would like to make the right decision on my future oil. Looking for a 3.5 HTHS oil that will stay in grade for 8-10,000 miles without too much Ca, as thats what i understand creates LSPI in smaller TGDI engines.
I dont have a catalytic converter so im not worried about ZDDP if that would help my situation…
Mobil 1? X-Cess 8100 Gen 2?

Appreciate any advice and all conversation.

Attachments

• 71E9B380-3C26-4F7E-9F28-627EDEDD78D8.jpeg
    71E9B380-3C26-4F7E-9F28-627EDEDD78D8.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 33
calcium is not too bad as long as you have some lspi quenchers which are zddp, magnesium, and moly and even phosphorous as well i believe. Have you ever felt or heard any knocking from lspi occurring.

calcium is not too bad as long as you have some lspi quenchers which are zddp, magnesium, and moly and even phosphorous as well i believe. Have you ever felt or heard any knocking from lspi occurring.
No i have not. I monitor knock on my accessport as well as ignition timing and correction.

I removed the cat and went catless with my new turbo setup. Emissions aren’t a thing for me.

i was gonna add some LM MoS2 with the next change as well..

No i have not. I monitor knock on my accessport as well as ignition timing and correction.

I removed the cat and went catless with my new turbo setup. Emissions aren’t a thing for me.

i was gonna add some LM MoS2 with the next change as well..
oh okay. so do you experience lspi. typically a knocking sound or in some vehicles a feel as the name suggests its at low engine speeds and its pre ignition. pre ignition is early combustion so a knock would occur.

oh okay. so do you experience lspi. typically a knocking sound or in some vehicles a feel as the name suggests its at low engine speeds and its pre ignition. pre ignition is early combustion so a knock would occur.
No i dont experience it as far as my ears can tell or my knock sensors pickup. Sometimes i have some slight ignition timing corrections but i am not sure if i can equate that to LSPI.

Im just trying to mitigate any future problems considering ive raised the bar so to speak with the engines tuning and performance.

honestly i think you're fine and there is a guy who did a uoa with amsoil OE today or yesterday on the cheaper amsoil OE and not the SS and he did 12k in a twin turbo gdi ecoboost and the tbn was almost 2 so fairly used up but not terrible and hardly had any fuel dilution. So i could imagine that SS in your single turbo gdi engine is probably in better shape even with amsoil OE and at those same 8-10k intervals you do. And if you have any concern Amsoil OE is supposed to be better than SS for lspi as its more of an OEM grade so its more stock engine friendly but i cant guarantee it yet you aren't really having issues with SS so i doubt you'll have issues with OE you weren't having already. If a guy did good with amsoil oe for 12k in a TT gdi i think you can at least do 12k as well with OE on top of that as long as you're not having crazy fuel dilution. As for ignition and timing its a modern turbo gdi engine its going to always vary to attempt to mitigate lspi occurrences which is normal and its supposed to do that.

honestly i think you're fine and there is a guy who did a uoa with amsoil OE today or yesterday on the cheaper amsoil OE and not the SS and he did 12k in a twin turbo gdi ecoboost and the tbn was almost 2 so fairly used up but not terrible and hardly had any fuel dilution. So i could imagine that SS in your single turbo gdi engine is probably in better shape even with amsoil OE and at those same 8-10k intervals you do. And if you have any concern Amsoil OE is supposed to be better than SS for lspi as its more of an OEM grade so its more stock engine friendly but i cant guarantee it yet you aren't really having issues with SS so i doubt you'll have issues with OE you weren't having already. If a guy did good with amsoil oe for 12k in a TT gdi i think you can at least do 12k as well with OE on top of that as long as you're not having crazy fuel dilution. As for ignition and timing its a modern turbo gdi engine its going to always vary to attempt to mitigate lspi occurrences which is normal and its supposed to do that.
Yeaup i read that post, some 3300 ppm Ca on a UOA on SS had me rethinking my oil, but it was a solid UOA for 19K miles for the 3.5 Ecoboost.

Normally I run Amsoil SS 5w30 but im really concerned with the Ca ppm I’ve been seeing on UOA’s. Im particularly worried about LSPI, and although Signature Series is SN/SP, im wondering if there is a “favored” oil for small displacement GDI turbo cars. Ive recently installed some go fast bits and would like to make the right decision on my future oil. Looking for a 3.5 HTHS oil that will stay in grade for 8-10,000 miles without too much Ca, as thats what i understand creates LSPI in smaller TGDI engines.
I dont have a catalytic converter so im not worried about ZDDP if that would help my situation…

While I have dabbled here and there in different oils in my modified Kona AWD 1.6T. The 2 oils I have used most are Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 and I am now running Redline Performance 5w-30 Euro Mid SAPS (Ester based), not the group 3 Professional. It has around 1600 PPM of Ca, but it has the Ester to kill the LSPI. The 5w-40 has high Ca, so I pass on that oil, I still have one cat to babysit. I am running 23 psi boost. I like the idea I have a buffer zone on a hot shut down as I am on boost more then most. Many times when getting to work in the morning I can be seen driving around in the parking lot in circles for 3 minutes try to cool her down from haven some fun going to work. If I had group 3 in there I would worry more I would be coking up. See the link below and scroll and check out my ride. Some mods stuff I have not posted there. All I can say is I am sticking with the Redline Euro. I have tried Amsoil, but when I called they told me all their oils are at a 2.2 Ash, so I wont run their oils in a GDI turbo with that high of Ash. As far as what you want to run for oil change intervals, seems a bit high to me. Hyundai turbos engines are hard on oil, so I dump mine no higher then 4,000 miles, normally it has been at 3750 as I short trip and am on boost more then most. That's just me though, I want to have clean oil for my timing chain, chain guides, and ring lands. Hyundai turbos like to sludge up the turbo oil drain line too if not taken care of. Another reason for Ester based oil. Especially since my little turbo has been known to glow red from time to time.

While I have dabbled here and there in different oils in my modified Kona AWD 1.6T. The 2 oils I have used most are Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 and I am now running Redline Performance 5w-30 Euro Mid SAPS (Ester based), not the group 3 Professional. It has around 1600 PPM of Ca, but it has the Ester to kill the LSPI. The 5w-40 has high Ca, so I pass on that oil, I still have one cat to babysit. I am running 23 psi boost. I like the idea I have a buffer zone on a hot shut down as I am on boost more then most. Many times when getting to work in the morning I can be seen driving around in the parking lot in circles for 3 minutes try to cool her down from haven some fun going to work. If I had group 3 in there I would worry more I would be coking up. See the link below and scroll and check out my ride. Some mods stuff I have not posted there. All I can say is I am sticking with the Redline Euro. I have tried Amsoil, but when I called they told me all their oils are at a 2.2 Ash, so I wont run their oils in a GDI turbo with that high of Ash. As far as what you want to run for oil change intervals, seems a bit high to me. Hyundai turbos engines are hard on oil, so I dump mine no higher then 4,000 miles, normally it has been at 3750 as I short trip and am on boost more then most. That's just me though, I want to have clean oil for my timing chain, chain guides, and ring lands. Hyundai turbos like to sludge up the turbo oil drain line too if not taken care of. Another reason for Ester based oil. Especially since my little turbo has been known to glow red from time to time.
Lol that sounds like quite the cool-down procedure haha.
Ill look into the 530 euro. I used to run redline in my twin turbo subaru, loved that stuff. I was running a E blend for the last two years on the stock fiesta turbo so i tried to stay away from ester-based oils, but now that im on pump gas ill look into it. My turbo definitely doesnt get that hot, another reason i stayed away from a hybrid turbo and went with a “big turbo” for a fiesta lol. Didn’t want to have excessive heat that the small turbos create

I checked out the whip. Nice! Didnt expect racing harnesses though lol. Looks like a more affordable version of a porsche macan.

IMHO, the Motul 8100 X-Cess or X-Clean would be good, as would M1-ESP 5W-30, or one of the Ravenol offerings. Or, in a pinch, for an off-the-shelf Walmart offering, an SN+ or SP 10W-30, such as PPPP, VAS, M1-EP, or QSUD.

But, have you done a UOA with a company that can accurately measure fuel content?

Id definitely want that before attempting to push a TGDI past 5-6K, due to potential fuel dilution.

With a big turbo you won't have LOW SPEED pre-ignition, as you will need more RPM to build boost. Without boost, no pre-ignition...

With a big turbo you won't have LOW SPEED pre-ignition, as you will need more RPM to build boost. Without boost, no pre-ignition...
Good point, the worry for LSPI, isn't that a non factor over 2,200 rpm or close to that? A stock Kona 1.6T gets 17 lbs boost and 195 ft lbs of tq at 1,400 rpm. Then if you added say a DTE piggyback it would be even more. When I went to a lite stage 2, I know my tuner pulled back boost until after 2,200 rpm to reduce any chance of LSPI. The big turbo on his can't be making any large # of boost till well past 2,200 rpm.

Good point, the worry for LSPI, isn't that a non factor over 2,200 rpm or close to that? A stock Kona 1.6T gets 17 lbs boost and 195 ft lbs of tq at 1,400 rpm. Then if you added say a DTE piggyback it would be even more. When I went to a lite stage 2, I know my tuner pulled back boost until after 2,200 rpm to reduce any chance of LSPI. The big turbo on his can't be making any large # of boost till well past 2,200 rpm.
So whats the common threshold rpm for LSPI? I figured any decent amount of boost, say 15-19lbs before 3000 was worth considering. It maxes out with 26lbs at 3400

Aren't modern turbo engines utilizing dual stage turbos to also not have lspi and turbo lag at low rpms. I know the singoe stage turbos are susceptible to both. That's why I was asking more if there were any lspi occurrences since I'm certain fords turbos are dual stage and lessen that. Hondas turbos are single stage which are more reliable so it'd make sense and it's be more worried about lspi in a single stage turbo. In a gdi and port injection naturally aspirated engine it's not really a problem at all.

Aren't modern turbo engines utilizing dual stage turbos to also not have lspi and turbo lag at low rpms. I know the singoe stage turbos are susceptible to both. That's why I was asking more if there were any lspi occurrences since I'm certain fords turbos are dual stage and lessen that. Hondas turbos are single stage which are more reliable so it'd make sense and it's be more worried about lspi in a single stage turbo. In a gdi and port injection naturally aspirated engine it's not really a problem at all.
Dual stage? You mean variable vane technology like in a bmw?

Dual stage? You mean variable vane technology like in a bmw?
Yeah there's different names but each OEM will call it their own thing to make it seem like an exclusive high tech feature. But yeah they help generate more pressure at low rpms so there isn't as much turbo lag or lspi occurrences.

Yeah there's different names but each OEM will call it their own thing to make it seem like an exclusive high tech feature. But yeah they help generate more pressure at low rpms so there isn't as much turbo lag or lspi occurrences.
Sort of a moot point considering im not using the stock ford turbo though.

Back